Jack Catterall - how good is he/can he be?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by dellboi94, Apr 4, 2017.

1. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    What are your thoughts on Jack Catterall, can he compete with the two leading prospects Ohara Davies or Josh Taylor? I rated him early on, good jab, good feet but he seems to have stagnated a little bit. What do you guys think?

Odins beard likes this.
  2. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    He bores me to tears, he can't seem to step it up when its needed. I don't think he will be a world champion.

Odins beard likes this.
  3. Chalky

Chalky Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2016
    I do like him. But have to agree that he is guilty of not going through the gears. But am very looking forward to watching him against the tough Martin Gethin on Saturday.

Hopefully he shows us something different.

Odins beard likes this.
  4. DavidJames

DavidJames Active Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Not always the most exciting but has looked good and hard to beat. Good test with gethin who should make him look good. Think he had a hand injury last time out

5. Last Half

Last Half New Member Full Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I reckon Caterall is technically sound and can bang as far Davies and Taylor are concerned I don't see any of them calling him out, tells a story really, they're all avoiding the hard fights (Nurse) but that can only go on so long until it becomes embarassing for them.

Manlikesquid likes this.
  6. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I think Taylor would school him, would probably back him to beat Davies. I agree with the OP, he seems to have stagnated but possibly due to comp. He's in a decent fight this Saturday which should tell us a bit more

7. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I'm getting ready to watch and score his fight with Stalker, was this a good scrap anyone remember?

8. boxingcrazy

boxingcrazy Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2010
    like most I was impressed early but he just hasn't improved the way I expected. the fact he won the British against nurse last time out and he is scheduled for a 6 rounder against a journeyman end of the month means he is either getting managed very badly or they don't trust him against the better guys in the division. josh Taylor beats him easy:thumbsup:

Amazing one and rorschach51 like this.
  9. Neebur

Neebur Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Avoiding Nurse :qmeparto:

10. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I’m not having Davies as a top prospect. He got absolutely schooled by Taylor who was/is a relative novice (albeit top prospect).

11. Amazing one

Amazing one Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Good fight. Catterall outboxes & beats Stalker up.

Scissors and rorschach51 like this.
  12. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013
    Wow! Avoiding Nurse. That was an out and out domestic level clash. Taylor beat a far more awkward & skilled opponent in Vasquez quicker & more impressively, that added to win over OD but they are ducking Nurse.

Seen it all now.

Neebur likes this.
  13. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013
    I agree but a bit like Khan having elite speed (I know, still world class) OD has really long arms, awkward angles and can punch. Skills wise with fundamentals he's poor but always has been, left hook is attrocious as is his footwork/balance but he is dangerous and I'd give him a shot VS Catterall/Leather/Nurse etc, they don't have the skills Taylor has & OD still went down punching, he had higher output of punches than any other fight. He did try, he just quit in the end.

And Taylor has quickly became a contender, not a domestic level prospect. OD gives nightmares domestically, I really believe that.

14. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013
    They are keeping him in winning ways to build Flanagan fight, that was easy to see coming. Both with Warren, both unbeaten & have sparred. Story line set already.

15. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    He goes through trainers like Tiger Woods went through women. Needs to settle down. Solid fundamentals but not setting the world alight at the moment which I blame on the trainer issue.