Jack Catterall

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Yeah but beating solid domestic opponents doesn't prepare you for a title shot. If catterall goes for it next he loses just like yarde imo.

2. Bridie mcmahon

Sep 10, 2015
    I don't think he's ready either m8,I'm going to check out the dude he's fighting next.What he needs is a good solid top 15 fighter,preferably with a name.

Twentyman likes this.
  3. Bridie mcmahon

Sep 10, 2015
    Just had a look at the wbo top 15 and damn there's some dangerous fights! Ergashev,turarov,subriel matias,barboza jr, it's baw deep.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  4. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Im not sold on jack yet. He's seriously struggling to do the 140 and I think that if he finds himself in a fight where the opponent imposes a higher tempo than jack likes to work at he'll come a cropper.
    He's got decent skills I do agree but there's something about the fights he's been in, where it's been more a case of an underwhelming performance by his opponent, rather than a great performance from Jack. I do hope he gets to the point where he turns me on, I am interested in following him.

5. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Yarde would have beaten Kovalev had he faced Hosea Burton

6. Bridie mcmahon

Sep 10, 2015
    possibly,though unlikely for me.When your best win is a struggle with ohara davies to fighting jose ramirez you Could be in trouble.

Scissors likes this.
  7. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I assure you he is not struggling to make weight, his nutrition guy is out of this world. I agree it's a long shot to step up now and win though.

NasalSpray likes this.
  8. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    mate i think if he has a good camp ahead of a big fight he makes 140 comfortably. sometimes its harder to make weight when you dont have solid dates and have to take fights on shorter notice

9. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    How long has he been with this nutritionist? I've stood next to Jack as he's weighing in and I spoke to him at the time. He was seriously dehydrated.
    Just because someone has a nutritionist on board doesn't mean they're making weight correctly. Look at Kell, he had Marriott doing his nutrition and he still struggled, his promoter Eddie has always said that Kell should be at 154 since he lost to Spence. Then there was Jamie MacDonald who took all them from the Sheffield university along on his camp for Inoue. They kept showing us how he was now working with these guys and he's in great hands, these guys know their stuff.
    They made the trip to Japan and stayed at Dubai for 2 week to start the acclimatisation process before moving to Japan for the final weeks. Then after the fight we heard Coldwell telling us that they struggled in Japan cos they couldn't find any food that Jamie needed and that he'd struggled with the weight again. That camp probably cost Jamie 10 grand, flying them guys along with him and paying for their "expert knowledg"
    I hope Jack is doing the weight right but I've seen him with my own eyes at weigh in and he was badly dehydrated, I mentioned it on here at the time. You asked him a question and it took him a couple of seconds to reply.

10. richie bee

richie bee Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I’ve known jack a very long time , followed him for years and Is a good friend , he makes the weight with no real issues at all and is constantly in shape , I was with him a couple of weeks back and he was well on target with weight .
    Jack is an outstanding talent and I assure you we haven’t seen the best of him yet , I know you can’t rule much into sparring but he more than held his own with floyd and canello and wasn’t as experienced then , if it was up to jack he would fight every weekend but this is boxing and sadly what u want and get are two different things , not one to go round bad mouthing or trash talk he’s certainly sees no issue in fighting the winner of Taylor v prograis and we will be at the 02 to see first hand , just needs the opportunities to shine

emallini likes this.
  11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Jamie Moore certainly thinks a lot of his talent and believes he can go all the way to a title. My favourite British prospect if we can call him that although he’s only 26. I think if he’d have dealt with Davies more comprehensively then more people would be on board. I thought he gave him far too much respect that night although he completely nullified that right hand.

12. Journey Man

Aug 22, 2009
    This content is protected

Agreed with all you've said, though as much as I like Jack I do think he needs a couple of bridging fights before the shot. Couple of fringe guys would be ideal, though it's not always an ideal world!

13. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    All I can tell you is what I saw mate. The fights you've mentioned above when he was working with the nutritionist, I saw him in that period. I know when a fighter is dehydrated and has hit it hard to make the weight and I know what I saw with Jack that day. I spoke to him and i was there when he spoke to his trainer, we were all stood within conversation distance. He was badly sunken in eyes and there was pauses in his conversation where it was obvious his neurons and synapses wasn't firing correctly because of the loss of body salts and electrolytes. This in turn effects your ability to hold your attention and process information.
    Unless you see it they will keep this under wraps they never admit to struggling with the weight. Also one trainers/fighters opinion on making weight is another trainers/fighters opinion on struggling with the weight.
    I don't know, maybe there was a bad experience in camp that time like he had a bug and was on some medication for it that caused an upset in him cutting the weight and it was a one off. Maybe that's the answer but for that weigh in, that's what I saw.

Journey Man likes this.
  14. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    WBO World No.1? I thought Ramirez was the WBO World No.1?!

15. Journey Man

Aug 22, 2009
    That's a fair observation mate. I can honestly say I've never spent time close to either on the day of a weigh in, only fight day so can't say I've ever seen it but what you say makes sense.

im sparticus likes this.