Jack Dempsey and Floyd Patterson, a stylistic comparison

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Dec 21, 2011.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    There's some confusion on the forum about a comparison Seamus made in another thread between Patterson and Dempsey in terms of their styles. I thought it would be interesting to have a look at what makes this such a widely held opinion these days.

Before I begin, just to stress that this is a stylistic comparison. Dempsey fans shouldn't get upset because their fighter had a better chin any more than Patterson fan would get upset because their fighter is faster. It's a comparison of styles.

For footage, I've got Moore and Brennan. Firpo and Willard are no good for obvious reasons, and whilst Tunney II would serve, I think Burt might hunt me down and cut my throat :D So here we go:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUkqyfUjTU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFxcNfXMA60&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD888D64033A0082F[/ame]

1 - The Crouch
    First we need to acknowledge the differences. Dempsey's crouch is lower oftentimes on account of he carries his hands lower whilst Patterson has the famous high-glove technical guard. What this means is it's not necessary for Patterson to put quite as much distance between himself and his guy, so he's more about making the target small and exploding out of a fixed position with that handspeed. For Dempsey it's literally a part of his roving defence, so in literal terms they serve different purposes in most respects. In technical terms they are similar and lead to more similarities (As we'll see).

Looking at Patterson first, we see his back is straighter, but note what happens on about 12 seconds just before he attacks, he dips into a much deeper crouch. Dempsey on the other hand comes out in the first few seconds of the other video in a more naturally deep crouch. Note that, like Patterson, he wants to lead with his left hand and that the crouch facilitates this lead. Going back to Patterson on 14 seconds, we see that he's flashed out that left lead and immediatly dipped back into a much deeper crouch more reminiscent of the one Dempsey is using against Brennan. This is a defensive crouch. But once again he flashes out the left from his low position. Again, on 22 seconds he ducks into a deep crouch, so although he doesn't open ducking as low as Dempsey, he goes just as low when he wants to throw those punches - both men are boxing opponents from a low crouch. This is the technical similarity. Dempsey opponents are boxing a small man who punches tall, Patterson opponents are boxing a tall man who dips and punches. Tall/short are definitions of their punching styles, not remarks upon size.

2 - The left lead.
    The crucial difference here is in the jab - Patterson makes a much wider use of his. But when the two men are leading with their left hooks, or punching with it in combination, the punches are eerily alike. I don't know a lot about Patterson's life but I'd be surprised if he didn't look at the Dempsey left.

We won't look at all the hooks that we can, it would take forever, but here are some examples.

First, the flashing or explosive hook, most usually seen in both men from a place where the are dipping and then exploding into the punch, what Dempsey described as the "Shovel hook".

Dempsey lands his at 2:50. It's the first combination Dempsey really disturbs a very lively Brennan with, evidenced by his disorganised retreat. The last hook Demspey lands here is the flashing variety, it comes up from his boots, and even though he is technically out of position, Dempsey finds a way to go down on his left foot, screw up that torque and flash the left hook from hip to head. Breannan, already off-balance from what Dempsy has given him staggers back in reaction.

See Patterson at 6:17. His hook looks different because of the deep crouch he employs before he throws it, but it is exactly the dip that makes the punches technically near identical. Watch Patterson's feet just before he throws the punch. Like Dempsey, he's is pushing the punches torque through his left foot - the right one actually comes of the mat upon the point of impact - creating an artificial dip as a part of the power punch. The fact that he takes the glove of his chin to throw it is irrelevant (in terms of technical punching - it's obviously more correct in terms of defence), what is important is that the punch comes from hip height. Archie is poleaxed just as Brennan was hurt - the difference perhaps is that Floyd was more technically perfectly set before he threw his punch, whereas Dempsey was in the middle of battle when he had to generate his artificial dip.

Now the square or technical hook
    Dempsey throws his at 3:15. He actually misses, but that's not important, in fact it's a handy thing for us with these old films, a completed punch that misses is sometimes easier to break down technically I think.

Here, Dempsey is throwing a left hook to the body, which was often his technically most perfect left hooks (though his first one was a beaut v Willard). Here, there is a very small dip only, Dempsey generates the power in this squarer punch by pushing all the way through from his back foot. Dempsey hardly ever threw arm-punches outside of the jab and this difficult, or I always thought of it as difficult, technique prevents his narrowest hook becoming just that. Look again. Small dip. The weight transferred from the right foot through the punch.

Now Patterson, at two-minutes, not the body shot, the one just after it which he also just misses. It is some punch and probably would have been lights-out had it landed. Patterson is different from Dempsey in that he keeps his head still and over his front foot, but he is still forcing this hard punch through of the back-foot at close range. This is how Joe Louis believed the left-hook should be thrown a a matter of course, but it's actually the opposite of what these men usually did and it's the opposite of what Frazier, HW'S greatest hooker seems generally to have taught. But it is fascinating that both of them found this right foot transference fighting from the crouch at closer range. It seems to prove the similarity in styles back-to-front.

The hook inside. Dempsey threw this a lot. At 3:32 we see one of his best ones in this fight, but we can't use it because the annoying banner obscures his feet. Skipping ahead to 3:54 you see one that is nearly as good. Pause it on 3:54 if you can. Notice that Dempsey's left foot is slightly off the ground. This is another technical no-no, but it's allowed here because Dempsey is again using his right foot to generate the torque. Also, notice that just before he throws the punch he takes a tiny step out. This is to make room for the punch - an affective technique.

And guess what? Patterson does both of these thing inside with the left hook aswell. At 1:06, if you can pause the video, you can see that Patterson's left foot is off the canvas. He also takes a step back when he throws the punch. Abner Mares does this really well these days, and his left hook is coming along not at all bad...anyway, these similarities in technique are born from similarities in style - I think anyone that doesn't see vast similarities between the left-hooks and the way they are delivered isn't looking properly! The consistency is pretty breath-taking and it's hard to find something that Dempsey did with the left hook that Patterson wouldn't do later on!

3-General footwork.

For this, I want to take a look at something different.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDHRYHedMec[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XN8I4UVO-I[/ame]

This is spooky.

In the Patterson-Ali film, hoof it on to two minutes. We don't need to see a lot here because the film does the work for us. Watch Patterson's feet. From two minutes, Patterson goes from flat to toe, and then from narrow to wide. Wide is his hitting stance and his "feint". He's showing Ali his intention to hit here. At 2:05 he goes into a moving dip, which he comes all the way out of into the narrow stance. Then, at 2:08, he goes into a deep stance and leaps forwards into a left hook. It's fast enough to get to any fighter but the one he is in with IMO.

Now, Dempsey. From 0:06. Dempsey goes from front to back, from wide to narrow. Again, he's feinting, showing his deep stance, his hitting stance, but not hitting. (This is Dempsey's finest minute on film IMO. He is just baiting the bigger man into a mistake with these moves). They clinch. At 0:16 he goes back to boxing. Dempsey goes front-back, front-back, then at 0:18 he goes into a shallow stance and leaps forwards into the left hook.

The two moves are not similar, they are identical. I don't see how anyone can look at these two and not seem an uncanny similarity in style? But if you think it's not the case, let's hear about why, and if you think it is the case, what else is there? There's loads, I promise.

I think they are certainly more similar than Dempsey-Tyson - hell, I think they are more similar than any other two HW champs.

This content is protected

2. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    The description is spot-on. Only someone with a huge agenda would deny their stylistic similarities. I also enjoyed Ali-Patterson in HD, hadn't seen that before. One of Ali's better wins pre-exile.

3. manbearpig

manbearpig A Scottish Noob Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Aye it's obviously a good comparison. The posters who deny this would be called trolls were they as madly fanatic for a "modern fighter".

Nigel Benn is my pick for Dempsey clone.

4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Good effort McGrain. While the styles of the two can be compared, the temperament in the ring, and mental fortitude, and overall boxing psyche between the two are different.

Dempsey's mental edge, and ability to bend the rules if necessary is better suited for a swarming type of style.

5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Excellent comparison, i'd never realised just how close their styles were! Would have been an interesting fight between these two.

6. prime

prime BOX! Writing Champion Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Hey, rocket scientists, wake up! Time to go to romper room!

You are attempting to belittle defenders of Dempsey over Liston--an opinion that would be in the clear majority among those who saw both fighters--by dishonestly painting Dempsey advocates as unable to see style similarities between Dempsey and Patterson.

Go back and see that--speaking for myself--I have never denied similarities between Dempsey's Bob-and-Weave and D'Amato's Peek-a-Boo.

But you will always be called on for the huge blunder of equating Dempsey with Patterson. You are wrong. Dempsey would prevail where Patterson's glass jaw and much weaker punching would not, just like George Foreman would prevail where Mel Turnbow would not. Can you see?

Just because mixing with champion Joe Frazier had always proven suicidal didn't mean a come-forward style was wrong as pertains Frazier. George Foreman blew all that into smithereens by turning Frazier into a basketball, because he had the qualities to prevail, with his style, where many others had failed.

See? Qualities trump style.

This would be a close fight.

Dismissing the great Jack Dempsey offhand against a bully such as Liston is frankly embarrassing for the Forum and labels you as the bozos you really are.

7. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    That's the key, although Patterson has certain factors in his favour also, Dempsey has the crucial ones - but the stylistic comparisons are nearly undeniable.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    EVERYONE on this forum has seen both fighters, and the majority seems to pick Liston?

Are you talking to me? I make all that effort in that post and you dismiss me as dishonest? There was a poster in that thread literally laughing at me for saying they were stylistically similar.

wtf.

Anyway, i'd like it if we could leave Liston-Dempsey out of this. That is not what this thread is about. This thread is about stylistic similarities of two HW champions. It hasn't gone down particularly well, but I don't want it marred by name-calling and hissy fits for all that.

9. prime

prime BOX! Writing Champion Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    I must remind you that YOU began the name calling with "LUNATICS".

Don't resort to a clearly inconsistent highmindedness now, bud.

10. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Jesus H Christ, and since then you've called me foolish, self-important, dishonest, an embarrassment and a bozo. Just calm yourself. I'm just asking you nicely, for the second time, if you want to post on the topic at hand, please do so, if you don't, find something else to do.

11. lora

lora Fighting Zapata Full Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Great post mcgrain.

Makes me almost ashamed to have trolled the **** out of the abundance of heavyweight threads.

12. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    From a punching standpoint, or a stylistic one? A tighter guard to dip allows for Patterson to explode up and not need quite as much room, I suppose. But Dempsey stylistically is the one often wanting less distance between his opponent. Patterson doesn't mind because he's capable of dipping, and exploding from more of a mid-range.

Is your tall-short punching terms about shorter, compact punching?

I think there is a similarity between almost all aggressive fighters in throwing the left hook. That may be too broad, but let's say all the aggressive HWs barring Marciano. He threw his left hook just like he did with his right. He rarely exploded off the canvas with it. Although thinking about it now, he seems to do have done so a lot more in his earlier days. In his fights with Layne, Louis, and Matthews he explodes with the left hook. I suppose his style alteration caused him to be more grounded with his left hook, throwing it a lot like his right hook.

Dempsey does this too. I can visualize him exploding off the ground with his left hook against Williard. Frazier, as well. He also backed up to throw his left hook. Just think of his KO against Ellis. Most of the ATG aggressive and explosive HWs do this. The reason why it's a technical no-no to leave your left foot off the ground is because you can't get the proper leverage. The leverage comes from pushing that left foot, from the foot all the way while turning through the hips and eventually pushing through with the shoulder. Dempsey does this, but in the example at 3:54 he does this to make room to punch. You'd never want to throw a short hook with your left foot off the ground the way Dempsey does here. That's a complete no-no. You'd never want your left foot off the ground upon the start of a left hook, but exploding off the ground during the execution of a left hook which leaves you momentarily off the canvas is different. In one scenario, Patterson is pushing through his left foot and exploding off the canvas. With Dempsey, he's finding the resources to punch from a position you shouldn't be punching in from a technical standpoint. No biggie. But as you said, Dempsey's side-stepping to give himself some room to punch. A lot of the force is coming primarily from his hips. That's the difference there.

Joe Louis would've said never to leave your left foot of the ground. Guys like Patterson, Tyson, Frazier, and Dempsey who explode from crouch or dipped position do this and wouldn't believe it to be a cardinal sin. The reason they think this way is because they all adhere to the idea of a left hook being a long punch, where you can explode from the outside. Joe Louis thought the left hook was only a punch delivered from a short distance because it could be easily countered by another hook. When these short explosive HWs deliver their hooks, it's usually when a fighter brings his right hand back, or after a feint to help allow for such a "risky" long lead left hook to take place.

I would agree with the spirit that Patterson and Dempsey are rather similar stylistically. Yes, Dempsey fights out of a crouch, and Patterson dips with his high-guard bob & weave. However, they both like to utilize similar footwork. I can't see that last Dempsey video you posted (People in America can't see the last video), but I know they both like to come in and out, pop in, feint, step to the side and try to find a moment or leave a moment for the opponent to just slip out. Dempsey did it with Williard in the first knockdown, and Patterson did it against Moore and Ingo.

13. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    In a killer attitude. Benn and young Roberto Duran had much in common with a young Dempsey. Along with a Stanley Ketchel, they shared a certain
    cruelty trait in their kill or be killed attack. Mean hombres...

14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Cheers pal.

15. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Terrific post !