Jack Dempsey in the Klitschko era

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Apr 2, 2016.

1. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010

so here you are again trying to claim a guy who gets wiped out in seconds by a failed retired fatty has a good chin, something nearly everyone holds a consensus against.

whats the weather like on planet K?

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    If you are referring to Sanders, he had a lot of speed and power. Boxing fans know that you do not.

Rather then school you on every post you make, I'm going to stop replying back to you in this thread as I like it. Until then, please get a new act.

3. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    the ones on planet K do for sure, keep defending the failed neverman in retired subnational worst form ever.

Amen to that HA!

4. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Good post!

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Good post. That's essentially the crux of my argument. Dempsey would have to run head first into a gauntlet of bigger men, some of whom can punch harder, some of whom have better chins ... and brawl with these dudes nonstop, because that was his style.

Wlad was able to employ a conservative technical style and his huge size to win while taking minimal damage. Dempsey by definition is going to take damage, wear and tear as he progresses through that resume.

I would not like to see the end result. I'm thinking he ends up like Bowe or Ali.

6. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    :lol: Herol is like a Wlad-o-matic automaton. Put in 2 Wlad cents and it spews Wlad-related insults for 15 min ...

7. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    If Sanders was a failure, then WTF was Willie "fat boy" Meehan? :patsch

8. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    observe the kliturd complaining about adding klitschko related content in a thread with the word Klithscko in the title.

like listening to someone complain that they cant see England whilst standing in Trafalgar square. During the 23rd april St Georges day celebrations, no less.

9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    It would be except that Dempsey had a 7 year reign which included taking 3 years off between Firpo and Tunney.

But let's not chide old Bert on his numbers.

10. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I know, he faced the likes of an invalid Miske and the awe-inspiring Orchid Man.

Seriously, can you imagine Carpentier being sold as a heavyweight title challenger against even the likes of Brewster or, God forbid, Povetkin?

Would there be a State boxing board in the US that would approve such a bout?

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  11. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Use your noggin for once. Do you know anything about the career of Willie Meehan aside from what you spout.? willie Meehan was called King of the 4round fights for a reason. He was only successful in 4 round bouts where he decisioned Dempsey and SAM LANGFORD no less. For 4 rounds he would hug, tug, cling and throw punches, but soon after run out of steam. Tell me sir what fighter is not occasionally behind in points after four rounds ? Tell me sir ? Main event fighters fight 8 or 10 or 12 or during the days of Meehan Dempsey and Langford fought 15 round pro bouts so because a rising Dempsey or a Sam Langford were behind in a 4 round bout is cause to besmirch a Jack Dempsey shows me you have a bit to learn about fighters and the times of the past...Learn sir...

12. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    You know, a comparison to Ibragimov, Chagaev and Haye are not that far off in terms weight and tactics.

Ibragimov and Chagaev were excellent amateurs at heavyweight ( 91K, or 201 pounds ) while Haye moved up from Cruiser to heavy.

When these three faced a non-threat, they were forward movers, in some cases destroyers looking to end it! However when matched vs a much bigger fighter who can hit with skills, they were forced to take a more measured approach.

Examples:

Ibragimov, who I think it very underrated, was very safety first vs Wlad, but easily outboxed Briggs. 1-1.

Chagaev won on skills and counters vs. Valuev and was blown out by Wlad. As soon an opponents feel Wlad's power, they almost always halt their aggression. In Chagaev's case, Wlad landed a face melter on him early, flooring a very durable Chagaev.

Haye used speed to outbox Valuev, only committing to action in the final round. Haye opted not to engage at all vs Wlad.

Povetkin struggled vs. Wlad, but pretty much looked very good vs the rest.

Looking at some title fights for Dempsey vs. men who can hit:

In Dempsey's day, Willard was very slow and not defensive. Rusty and older too. I'll give Jess credit for durability and heart, a boxer he was not. Dempsey had the green light to take him out. Willard took many flush punches.

In another fight, Dempsey fought a wild & crude, but powerful Firpo. He was floored and knocked out of the ring. Luckily for Dempsey he wasn't injured during the fall. This fight is a warning, as today men Firpo's size and larger are more skilled.

The third man Dempsey fought who could punch some was Bill Brennan. Dempsey was actually hurting some before landing a finishing KO shot later in the fight. Brennan was nothing special. This was a tought fight.

Were the Willard-Dempsey fought, Firpo and Brennan, better than Chagaev, Ibragimov, Haye, or Peter? I think not. Demspey also has some issues with speedy boxer mover types, so Byrd, and Chambers are fights where he would need to be sharp.

Dempsey would be in some tough fights and just can not win the way Wlad did. When you're in tough fights, you win some and lose some. It also shortens your career.

13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    But Burt, Langford also beat Meehan. Dempsey didn't. The match Langford lost to Meehan happened when he was out of shape and rather battle worn at age 36.

The issue here is not the number of rounds, rather Dempsey had issues with high volume punchers and boxers who used mobility and defense.

Meehan fought Dempsey 4 times. Surprised once, okay, but failing to win once in 4 tries says something about the match up caused Dempsey fits. That something was mobility.

Miske who was very good was nearly even with Dempsey until he became ill. He was a swift one.

So, in theory, Chris Bryd, Eddie Chambers, and Sultan Ibragimov, who were fleet footed, hard to catch, and in Byrd's and Ibragimov's case durable would also cause Dempsey problems.

Later in his career, we saw how easily Tunney handled Dempsey. Tunney could move and box well too and was hard to catch on the outside.

14. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    How have you got it into you head that Meehan won all four of the fights?

15. Ted Spoon

Ted Spoon Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    This is what is being missed - Dempsey was arguably the most dynamic aggressor in the division's history (the antithesis of 'static' Samuel Peter). He, as did Roberto Duran, made you miss and pay on the front foot. If he were still alive Ray Arcel would endorse this view and dismiss those who scoff at it.

Furthermore, I see that weight is continually brought up like some absolute measure for power, but lest we forget speed and snap goes into the equation. Why was Bruce Lee such a powerful striker as a lightweight? Why did he study Dempsey's book? Are there any heavyweights in the modern era as dangerous as Jack Dempsey was? A man who had a knack for flooring men who had never tasted the canvas and stopping those who usually heard the final bell. As a finisher, which we all know is more important, he was perhaps second to Joe Louis.

Now someone like Lennox Lewis, yes, he would have a real chance of halting Dempsey with the right blend of caution and assertiveness, but Samuel Peter? That would be the Tiger vs. the Buffalo.