Jack Dempsey on punching

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by newby johnson, Mar 31, 2014.

1. newby johnson

newby johnson Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I stumbled onto this while googling something about Rocky Marciano:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thr...on-More-Rocky-Marciano-than-you-think/?page=1

in the article there is a section that caught my attention:

Does anyone have the book referenced? What did Jack say precisely on this subject?

2. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    It sounds like it is out of his Championship Fighting book. Jack Dempsey talks about a "falling punch", likening it to the potential damage caused when a falling object strikes someone. As an example, he explains that a helpless baby, falling from a sufficient height could seriously hurt or kill someone passing underneath. It even comes with an illustration of this scenario. Strange, yes - but an indelible picture to go with the lesson. The idea of a falling punch is to take a step forward, shifting weight from the backward to the forward foot in a slight downward motion. This allows the acceleration due to gravity, along with the weight to come into the equation through the brief 'falling' phase. It is a bit clumsy when first trying it out on a heavy bag, but once the punch lands at the same time as the forward foot lands you get maximum effect.

3. bazza12

bazza12 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Sounds a bit like the jab/hook to the body Sergey Kovalev finished Cedric Agnew with this past weekend :think

4. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
  5. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Dempsey, from Chapter 18 of 'Championship Fighting'

"18. Punch Ranks First
    You now have a thorough understanding of "punch." Why did I give you such a detailed education in the fundamentals of hitting before I
    taught you any defensive moves?
    I did it for many reasons; but the principal reason was this: The best defense in fighting is an aggressive defense. Each defensive move must
    be accompanied by a counter-punch or be followed immediately by a counterpunch. And you cannot counter properly if you do not know how to
    punch.
    That does not mean that "a strong offense is the best defense." That overworked quotation may apply to other activities; but it does not apply
    to fighting. It does not apply when you're pitted against an experienced opponent. You may have the best attack in the world; but if you're an
    open target-if you're a "clay pigeon"-you'll likely get licked by the first experienced scrapper you tackle.
    YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD DEFENSE TO BE A WELL-ROUNDED FIGHTER. AND THE BEST DEFENSE IS AN AGGRESSIVE DEFENSE."

6. FartWristedBum

FartWristedBum I walk this Earth like a bum Full Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Great stuff here, and a fascinating topic. Having a background in physics, engineering and martial arts I feel Dempsey explains the 'feel' of a well-timed "pure" punch very well. Especially the point about counter-punching, the opponent 'falling' into your punch will give the transfer of power that much more efficiency and (apart from some well executed examples) this is usually (IMO) the reason for sensational knock-out blows.

Thanks to JWSoats, just for fun, can we muster any examples of A) A knock-out where the opponents both contributed to the impact and B) A fighter delivered a KO/heavy blow through their own power?

Mine would be: Rocky vs J.Walcott and the infamous 'Suzie Q' KO for the former and Tyson's 1st knock down of Holmes for the latter.

7. RichC

RichC Member Full Member

May 15, 2011
    I haven't read the book, however the main benefit of the "falling step" technique is due to the fact that the drop of the hips forces your feet into the ground thus allowing maximal power transfer (if the timing is right) . Also, would just like to point out the this can be achieved without the "step" by simple bending the knees whilst just before impact (i.e. dropping your weight / sitting on your punches).

8. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    It's called 'sitting on your punches', it's not a hidden secret.

9. Tim Tam

Tim Tam Guest

falling punch , :lol: , dumbest thing ive ever heard

10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Oh, really?
    I won't waste my time then. I only discuss hidden secrets.

11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    The old big city America of the early 20th century : where babies falling/thrown out of eighth-floor windows were a commonplace hazard.