Jack Dempsey v Max Schmeling, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Micheal Spinks

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, May 8, 2008.

1. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006

:D

2. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006

You wouldnt give him a decent shout (at least) then? Let's be fair here: Schmeling is a better fighter than almost anybody Dempsey ever fought.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  3. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I'd say hes better than Tunney/Sharkey, dempseys best 2, at least on par, maybe better

4. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Schmeling was agood fighter but I dont see him standing up to a prime Jack's firepower. Spinks was not strong enough (see Tyson) Dempsey would get to him...Walcott and Charles.....Dempsey never faced a slickster of that magnatude...I see Walcott giving Jack fits but Demsey could level you with one punch...I can see J.J. beating him and having him down but I can also see a Dempsey stop depending on how relentless he is...Great fight..Charles would be another hell ride...Ezz could box punch fight in the pocket and out...but Jack had speed and power...I would not be suprised to see Ezz win but Dempsey could hit and he punched to weird places like the heart...they could beat him if they fought the perfect fight

5. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Schmelling fought all the best fighters, Tunney avoided some of the toughest fighters at HW. Schmelling fought far more HWs and Tunney took a long time to step up. Schmelling has the best single win between the 2

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  6. Ezzard

Ezzard Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2005
    I love Charles and Walcott and in a series of 3 they'd win one but both could be KO'd and Dempsey had a left hook better than even Walcott's. Dempsey also had speed and could put the punches together. They'd be absolutely great match ups.

Dempsey was a puncher like Louis and Tyson who put together great speed and power, with fantastic technique. I think he'd beat Spinks who is not a great HW IMO... Old Holmes had Spinks reeling but couldn't finish him off. I like Spinks as a fighter but his best asset was his mobility against much bigger lumbering men, he doesn't have that advantage in this match up.

I can see that Schmeling has a chance. Dempsey needs to do enough damage early on to keep the fight in his favour.

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes just like Firpo was.

8. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I think Jack Dempsey plows through schmeling and spinx early and decisevly. I think Walcott gives jack Dempsey absolute hell, I make this fight a 50/50. Charles boxing skills and handspeed would give dempsey alot of trouble but I see dempsey getting to charles somewhere during the fight down on the cards.

9. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007

I think this is an excellent post, though I personally believe that Spinks would find Dempsey even harder to tag than Tyson, and the counters almost as lethal.

10. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    OK; I think you understnad Schmeling. In my opinion you misunderstand Dempsey. Dempsey was only vulnerable when he over-reached, which requires mobility, or when he was in against a puncher who was able to take advantage of the tiny over-reaches when he scored - given his violence as a puncher, that would be a very special fighter indeed. Is that Schmeling?

11. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    ...yeah.

12. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I agree with this post.