Jack Dempsey v Michael Spinks

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Apr 18, 2016.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Didn't Fulton fit the bill for the underlined? There is a reason Spinks defended against Stefan Tangstad and a washed up C*oney, instead of.

Thomas
    Tubbs
    Tucker
    Witherspoon
    Berbick
    Smith
    Douglas
    Holyfield
    Bruno
    Biggs

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    We are discussing how badly Spinks gets beat here.

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I wouldn't pick a single Dempsey victim to beat Spinks, not Willard, not Brennan, not Miske, not Gibbons or Firpo.

We are discussing what chance Dempsey has, at his best, to match Spinks' ability and physical talent.

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I really doubt Spinks's chances to take Dempsey's power, and far more than I'd doubt Dempsey's chances to take Spinks's punches.

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I think this encapsulates things rather well.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I wonder how many Spinks victims the rest of us would pick to beat a prime Dempsey. Which of the three heavyweights he beat has the best chance?:think

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Oh I forgot what a great mover Spinks was, my mistake.:oops:

8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    It's funny how people so often bring up that Bill Brennan went 12 hard rounds with Dempsey without mentioning that he was taken out in 6 one-sided rounds the first time they fought.
    If I remember correctly Brennan had never been stopped before anyway.

On paper and in truth, Michael Spinks has a fine record of durability too - up to a point.
    But how many of the 175 pounders he fought were huge punchers ? How many were comparable to Dempsey in power?

At heavyweight Spinks fought two big punchers. Tyson obliterated him with a few punches. C00ney I don't think connected with a clean punch.
    Larry Holmes was never a puncher, and at a slowed down 36 years probably even less of a puncher, but he knocked Spinks flying once or twice in the rematch.

9. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I don't know why the Tommy Gibbons fight is brought up so often.
    That's not PRIME Dempsey.
    That was a Dempsey coming off a 2-year-layoff. He was definitely on the slide already.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I think you do know why the Gibbons fight is brought up,in this particular case anyway.:hey

11. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Dempsey would crumble him.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Gibbons had 62 fights and was only stopped once ,in his last fight.
    Brennan had 63 fights, was stopped 4 times ,twice by Dempsey and in his last 2 fights by Miske and Firpo.
    Spinks had 4 fights at heavyweight and was stopped in one round by the best puncher he faced at the weight, of the other
    three two were past it, the other was a second rater at best.

Cool facts.

Some of the rated fighters Spinks missed during his brief title tenure, when instead he fought the mighty Stefan Tangstad and the resurrected carcass of Gerry C**ney.

Thomas
    Tubbs
    Tucker
    Witherspoon
    Berbick
    Smith
    Douglas
    Holyfield
    Bruno
    Biggs

I would pick 7 of that ten to stop him.

13. Spinks would be far to slick and crafty he also had much more speed. Those wild hay makers of Dempsey wouldn't find the mark as often as needed and he didn't have the set up skills to do that. Spinks ate shots from huge hitting ****ey even though he was rocked was able to maintain balance soon and adjust,i cant see the much smaller Dempsey faring better. I think Spinks would frustrate him ,agitate him and as usually when opponents make mistakes being aggressive gets those awkward count shots in.....Spinks would coast and get a decision win.

14. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I don't know how one like Spinks could survive the power and ferocity of Dempsey.

https://streamable.com/amss

It's hard for me to imagine.

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Much more speed? Dempsey was on a par if not quicker, of both hand and foot than Spinks.
    Wild haymakers? Dempsey was one of the heavyweight divisions finest short punchers.

When did Spinks eat power shots from Co*ney, which rounds?