Jack Dempsey v Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by beast boxer, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    No, I am just asking that people back up their stances with some sort of reference, something I might possibly have never read or seen. You've read Roberts' bio; you've probably read more than that. Back up your stuff with that.

Am I playing a bit devil's advocate here? Yes and no, just a bit to add a some perspective. I do think Dempsey gets off easy from most boxing historians in regards to his title reign. I do think Wills was a duck, whether it be a Kearns/Rickard thing (which I tend to believe more) or a Dempsey aversion. I think also, and this is a recent realization, that Greb was best white challenger to his title up until Tunney. He also was avoided in preference of guys he had beaten repeatedly.

The pimp stuff (not to mention the slacker title) was in response to someone who stated Tyson was merely a thug, a grandma mugger. Well, guess what, Dempsey was a thug, too. It generally takes a thug to succeed in the boxing business. Dempsey later grew to be a really well-balanced gentleman, much as Tyson has made a transition in his middle-age. Surprise, they are human beings with the capacity to change.

2. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Fine, I'm a scumbag who is winning this discussion.

Guys often sign contracts with no intention on fulfilling them. The business world is full of such people.

Again, I have quoted contemporary source materials that claim Dempsey was conveniently avoiding Wills. You have resorted, for the umpteenth time, to name-calling.

Good day.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    The lack of film of Sullivan shouldn't bother you, since you have his photograph and tale of the tape.

4. beast boxer

beast boxer Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2013
    mike Tyson is to thick to change, and he's a sick ****

5. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Desiree, youve already had him put in prison once, wasnt that enough?

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  6. beast boxer

beast boxer Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2013
    he deserves more punishment for all the things he's done wrong in and out of the ring

7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I find him quite a tragic figure in some ways.

Yes he was a bad man who did bad things, but he had a chance to break away from his abusive childhood and become a better person, and perhaps he nearly did.

I just wish things could have turned out differently.

8. Kendom

Kendom Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    How is Dempsey going to beat a fighter who is faster, stronger and much more powerful as well as more skilled? with a solid chin, it Just isnt happening, Tyson by early KO

9. Kendom

Kendom Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    This is ridiculous, this thread is supposed to be about who would win between these tow in a mythical fight, yet over 80% of the thread just turns into arguments about Dempsey's legacy as a fighter and as a human being,, why is it so hard to stick to the topic when we're talking about Jack Dempsey?

10. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Tyson had the better genetics for sure. He clearly had better natural hand speed, and better chin.

One thing Dempsey had was better technique. I know I will take some hits for this, but he perhaps gives us an idea of how Tyson might have developed, if he had kept his head together and continued learning.

Another thing Dempsey had was much better psychological fundamentals, and ability to fight through the fog.

I don’t know who would win, there are some interesting counter variables.

11. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    K, YOU ARE SPOT ON...Let me be objective and answer your question as to why the thread as to who would win a fantasy fight between Jack Dempsey v Mike Tyson ? No more, no less, this simple thread was dragged into personalities and agendas. Because there is a poster who absolutely thrives on his hatred of Jack Dempsey, a man who last fought EIGHTY SIX years ago, and immediately went into his tangent of regurgitating the same old bile to try to destroy the reputation of Jack Dempsey as a MAN.
    This person has done this spiel time after time after time, bringing this thread to the gutter...I truly don't know WHY he does that ?...But if everyone
    did the same to every boxer they disliked, we would call this Forum
    Vendetta Boxing...Good post K...:good

12. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Actually, one poster noted that Tyson could win because he was a granma mugging thug. I merely chose to point out that these two were cut from the same cloth.

Tyson KO4. Dempsey comes to battle and pays for his recklessness.

13. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Dempsey gets taken out in one round ... it is a stylistic nightmare for Jack ...

14. rusak

rusak Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 28, 2012
    You see Dempsey taking Tyson's punches for 3 rounds? I don't.

15. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Dempsey was a true badass at his core. And were he better disciplined, I think he has a chance of pulling a Holyfield in this fight. But, alas, you can take the boy outta the hobo camp but you cant the hobo camp out of the boy.