Jack Dempsey v Muhammad ali

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by kh80290z, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    You haven't told me anything I don't already know. I picked Ali to win.:huh

2. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    ok :happy

3. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    This really might be the greatest fight of all time.

In their primes, both were arguably the most popular and biggest draws of all time.

Black vs white fights, like it or not are the biggest of all time, particularly with Alis Controversial nature and Jacks controversial times. Make no mistake this will be huge.

If picking a guy to beat Ali, you need to have a huge left hook, plenty of heart and a great chin. Much like Frazier. I dare say that Dempsey is pretty close to this description.

If picking a guy to beat Dempsey, you need a good jab, a great chin, to fight on the outside, much like Tunney. I dare say Ali is pretty close to this description.

Both fighters are all time greats and were thought to be the best of all time when they fought by many which is a massive achievement.

No matter which way you look at it, this is going to be a great fight and could go either way. I daresay a split trilogy would be an almost certainty. FOr mine, i think that a close decision is a pretty close to certainty either way.

If being forced to pick a drawn fight between two fighters with the most different styles and from the most different eras, i think that this is probably the best i could come up with. in fact at this stage i think i might sit on the fence go with the draw.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I lean towards Ali winning, but anybody claiming that this is a mismatch, is living in a fantasy world.

Ali struggled with some less than great fighters, who brought similar stylistic atributes to the table.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  5. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Hardly truthful.

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    In all seriousness, this would be a great fight to watch. Dempsey would push the issue and certainly make Ali uncomfortable. It would be a tussle.

Of all the pre Ali heavies, I dare say Dempsey may be Ali's toughest match.

Sailor Joe and cross_trainer like this.
  7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    If we are matching to ATGs in the same weight class, and somebody predicts a domination, your first thought sould be that their prediction lacks judgment.

If somebody is making a prediction in a fantasy fight, that they would never dare to make in a contemporary fight that was about to be tested in the real physical universe, then you know what guides their prediction.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  8. Theron

Theron Boxing Addict banned

Sep 2, 2012
    He wouldn't be that vulnerable if he just lifted his god damn right hand up a few inches i dont know why he couldn't get that into his head but yeah it pains me to say Ali by decision

9. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010
    which version of Dempsey? which version of Ali?

10. Johnstown

Aug 30, 2010
    Not really much of a reach advantage though, about an inch.

11. the cobra

the cobra Awesomeizationism! Full Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I think things would go badly for Jack.

Fourth_Horseman likes this.
  12. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 18, 2011
    it'll be a tough first 4 for ali until he settles in. his dominance grows, round after round, until the 10th when he gets dropped. pulls his **** together and takes over the championship rounds and nearly stops dempsey on his feet

13. tezel8764

tezel8764 Boxing Junkie banned

Mar 28, 2012
    Dempsey is bloody overrated.

Fourth_Horseman likes this.
  14. rusak

rusak Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Not really. Styles make fights and what that means is that you get mismatches and one-sided fights even at the highest level.

15. Johnstown

Aug 30, 2010
    Dempsey beats his ass in a street fight at any time..also 70 year old dempsey totally beats the **** out of 70 year old Ali.