Jack Dempsey vs Evander Holyfield

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BrutalForeman, Jun 1, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I've never said or implied the fight was close.
    What I have said is Brennan did not run which was your statement.The film supports my opinion and holes yours terminally below the water.
    I might add Gibbons did not "run "either,and again film of the fight confirms this.
    The newspaper report of the fight that I provided was written as it occurred and published in the next
    days morning paper 15th Dec 1920 the Quebec Telegraph,it gives a round by round detailed analysis .
    Dempsey was badly shaken in the 2nd round and said after it everything was blank.
    Source for my quote
    Terry Leigh Lye Boxing Author 1959 interview.
    Here's some more for you.
    "Brennan was a cautious but aggressive fighter.he was ready to put up a defence for everything I could do,even jabbing with his left.
    I felt I was unable to reach him and I knew that this fight would not be an easy one.
    Brennan had a vicious right as well as a long left which really demolished me.
    One of my eyes swelled .An ear was torn.I felt I wasnt getting anywhere.
    By the twelth round we were both beat,swinging at each other and missing ,the he caught me on my torn ear,but I didn't go down.I swung a left to his face and we fell into a clinch.When we came out of it,I put everything I had into a left to the stomach and a right hook to the heart.Down he went.
    Aside from my second bout with Tunney this bout was just about the most closely contested fight I ever had!
    He came to see me afterwards, as they were stitching my ear back on.He said, "I'll get you yet, you son of a gun!"
    Jack Dempsey from his autobiography "Dempsey".
    I 'd say it's you who needs to use his eyes,your problem is you are letting your personal disike of me colour your judgement.

Now wipe your face, its got egg on it!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    mrkoolkevin likes this.
  2. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Dempsey was an excellent counter puncher but that was not his style .It was he who instigated attacks he never waited to draw a lead and counter he was fundamentally pro-active not re-active .
    His M.O. could best be encapsulated by the old adage," the best defence is a good offence".

I have to question your knowledge of not only Jack Dempsey, but the rudimentary basics of boxing having read your statement.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I doubt that Dempsey was stronger than Holyfield.In this month's Ring, Holyfield says the only man he was unable to "push back, " was Foreman.
    As to the Firpo fight ,Dempsey could quite justifiably have been disqualified for not retiring to a neutral corner after scoring a knockdown.Referee Johnny Gallagher allowed Dempsey to stand over the fallen Firpo and hit him as soon as his gloves were off the floor.
    At about two thirds of the way into the first round both fighters fell into a clinch,the referee ordered them to break,Firpo stepped back,Dempsey stepped forward and belted him with a big uppercut to the chin which floored and nearly ko'd the Argentine.
    Two leading sports writers,[Grantland Rice & Alan Davis,] criticized Dempsey for this in their columns the next day.
    It appears your knowledge of both Jack Dempsey, and his fights isn't quite as comprehensive as you seem to think.

mrkoolkevin and ETM like this.
  4. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    They avoided Dempsey like the plauge the entire fight. Something Holyfield would not do.

What you described is a fight Mcvey. Every fighter gets swollen eyes, cuts, etc. Just because that happens doesn't mean a fighter is struggling.

5. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Yes it was.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Actually Brennan initiated most of the attacks working behind his jab he came forward throwing right hands and the film clearly shows this.
    I'm not concerned with what Holyfield would do I'm correcting you on your statement that both Brennan and Gibbons "ran" from Dempsey, it's incorrect.
    Dempsey had a cut and closed eye,an ear torn halfway off from the base both injuries bled profusely and Dempsey is described as having blood flowing down his shoulders from the ear injury. That is not a one-sided fight!
    I also corrected you when you sneered about my saying Brennan nearly tore Dempsey's ear off,blood cascaded down his neck onto his shoulder and the ear was sewn back on.
    Dempsey said in print Brennan hurt him more than any other fighter ,and also that, next to the second Tunney fight it was his," most closely contested fight".
    I've provided you with primary sourced proof , now have the good grace to admit you are wrong.

7. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    I'm done. This is unfortunately what happens when people believe what comic books and dogma tell them.

8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Im fatigued by trying to discuss the most famous of bouts with people who don't know the most basic facts about them.

9. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    I'd lean towards Holyfield. I think his own strengths and style would thrive against Dempsey's aggressive style.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  10. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Does Dempsey get to use top of the range PEDs? If not then this fight isn't worth discussing.

Reinhardt, moneytheman12 and BCS8 like this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I've provided a next day newspaper report of the fight with a round by round summary.
    I've provided Dempsey 's own quotes taken from his autobiography written with his wife.
    You provided f*ck all and you won't, you've done what you always do, run away when your proven wrong
    You are just an ignorant kid calling posters morons because they disagree with your opinion

And you are also one very big coward!

BCS8 likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    This is a college kid who thinks he knows everything when in fact he knows jacksh*t!
    No knowledge and no balls!

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    "If you honestly hold these opinions then truth is your a ****ing moron. This isn't aimed at just you but people in general on here who are reading this."
    The above coming from a smarta*sed kid who knows jack sh*t!
    Startlingly ignorant of the basic style of one of the most celebrated of heavyweight champions.
    You don't even know what a counterpuncher is you silly little tw*t.! Get yourself educated on the art before calling posters morons . Go and watch some footage of Harold Johnson and come back when you know what the f*ck you are talking about!

14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    So it's Evan Fields vs Jock Emsy, in other words? ;)

15. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Good point. It`s interesting that with the all the big bombers Mercer faced at or near his peak Holyfield is the one who put him down. Ray had one of the great all time chins. Morrison, Cooper nor Lennox Lewis were not able to do it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017