Jack Dempsey vs Harry Wills 1926

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mr.DagoWop, Jun 12, 2017.

Dempsey vs Wills

1. Dempsey

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Wills

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    "The facts clearly show that in 1926 I tried desperately to arrange a fight with Harry Wills but the deal collapsed when my guarantee was not forthcoming. Wills and I had signed to fight with a promoter named Floyd Fitzsimmons of Benton Harbor, Michigan. Wills, I understand, received fifty thousand dollars as his guarantee for signing the contract. I was to have received one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars in advance of the fight. As the date of the fight grew nearer and my money did not appear, I became anxious and asked Fitzsimmons what was the matter. He wired me to meet him in Dayton, Ohio, assuring me that he would have the money for me there. I met Fitzsimmons in Dayton who handed me a certified check for twenty-five thousand dollars and a promise to let me have the balance almost immediately. I balked at that, demanding the full amount right away. Fitzsimmons tried to placate me by calling the bank where he said he had deposited the money. The bank, unfortunately for Fitzsimmons, informed him that it did not have that much money on hand, that there wasn't enough to cover the twenty-five thousand dollar check he had given me. Furious, I returned the check to Fitzsimmons and told him the fight was off. Later, the Fitzsimmons syndicate financing the fight sued me for failure to honor a contract. I won the case."

-Jack Dempsey speaking on the Harry Wills fight. (1950)

2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Dempsey smashes the sloooow Wills.

Reinhardt and RockyJim like this.
  3. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    This content is protected

4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Point taken

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Its also the 1926 Wills who would be badly beaten up by Sharkey that year and foul out to save himself from a ko.
    Dempsey after 3 years of inactivity could not catch the fleet Tunney , he would have no trouble landing on the much more stationary and slower Wills.
    Dempsey by ko, inside 6 rounds.It's a pity this fight did not take place in26, it would have significantly enhanced Jack's legacy and diminished Wills'.imo

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
  7. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Dempsey, mostly because he had a lot more left at this point.

In 1919 or 1920, it'd be a lot more interesting

Stiches Yarn and janitor like this.
  8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Dempsey dug his own grave by fighting Tunney, instead of the more qualified, but ready to be taken Wills!

Come to think of it, every great heavyweight champion who drew the color bar, dug their own grave!

9. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Jeffries sure did ..

10. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    But did Wills all ready lose to Sharkey by the time of the first Tunney fight?

11. Hannibal Barca

Hannibal Barca Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Fifteen years ago this was a spirited debate. But then recent footage of Wills was released and his stock suffered.

Dempsey comfortably.

Kamikaze likes this.
  12. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    This. The Sharkey-Wills fight took place less than a month after the first Dempsey-Tunney fight and with the losses suffered by both Dempsey and Wills this effectively ended talk of a Dempsey-Wills fight. But it is most unfortunate that fight never took place. I believe a '26 Dempsey would stop a '26 Wills and perhaps it would be remembered as his signature win.

Kamikaze likes this.
  13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    If all was fair in the world, it would have been Wills giving Dempsey a title shor.

Don't forget, Wills' best wins were around 1915, the Firpo footage was 1923, he was almost certainly well past his best, any fighter would be that deep into his career.

It's no wonder he had so little left by 1926.

14. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    I agree with most of the others here. Neither fighter was prime in 1926 but Jack Dempsey had more left. I think it is highly likely that Dempsey stops Wills in 1926. It is a shame the fight never happened - for many reasons.

15. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I was thinking just that. He had to have seen Wills fight. Imagine the respect he'd have gotten if Jack had done it for his final effort announced of course to stir the public the most beloved sportsman in America the Ruth of boxing shattering the colour line for his final farewell.