Jack Dempsey vs James Jeffries

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    This has more likely than not been done before, but I figured it hasn't been brought up in while, so why not revisit it...

Prior to the coming of Ali, Marciano and Liston, Jim Jeffries and Jack Dempsey were two of the biggest names on most people's all time list, alongside Joe Louis. Both were primarily known as hard punchers and certainly two very strong men to say the least.

Although both packed a punch they were very different. Dempsey was a much more mobile puncher who utilized a great deal of footwork, whereas Jeffries was skilled on the inside, using his size, strength and wrestling background to over power his opponents. Dempsey's stance was a bit more orthadox. Jeffries kept his right planted to his side and left held out in front while remaining in a crouched position..

Conclusion: Jack Dempsey had many more fights at the world level than Jeffries did and while Jeffries had never faced a puncher as mobile or technical as Dempsey, Jack had fought and beaten numerous bigger, stronger and less mobile white men. In other words, Dempsey would not be as foreign to a man like Jeffries as the opposite would reveal. What's more, Jeffries' defense was questionable. He had his nose broken a number of times in the few recorded fights that are commonly listed, and his fighting stance does not look very conducive to avoiding punishment....

Although Jeffries was a much better fighter than Jess Willard, Carl Morris, or Luis Angel Firpo, I think the outcome of this match ends in similar fashion to some of those other bouts...I love Jeff, but he just eats too much leather too early in this one...

2. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    in a 15 round fight, Dempsey will likely win by decision or even possibly a late stoppage. Jeffries had a tough time with tom sharkey, a tough but crude swarmer so id pick Jack here.

3. heehoo

heehoo TIMEXICAH! Full Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Jack would stop The California Grizzly late in the fight.

4. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Dempsey stops him on horrific life shortening injuries.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I go with Dempsey his speed of attack and allround agility mean he would be all over the big man.Jeffries has an outside shot in outlasting Jack, but I think he would have a face like Hamburger long before the finish ,so possibly even a tko for the Mauler .

PS Dempsey was a huge fan of Jeffries.

6. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    I'd favor Dempsey a bit if the fight was in Dempseys day; either way, if the fight was in Jeffries day.

7. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    is it James Jeffries month

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    yes!

9. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
  10. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Depends on time, I favor Dempsey to outpoint Jeff perhaps in 15 rounds(Or even ten(Tunney fights)

But put Dempsey in a 45 round bout, and I think Jeffries would out last and evem stop Dempsey late. In Jeff's day, no one outlasted him in his prime.

Dont forget Jeffries was pretty fast if you judge him on that training in 1901 footage. So he was not a slow guy. And underated defenses when he pull back on punchings with his head. But I think Dempsey was faster on foot and fist, but dont see him koing Jeffries. Depends on fight distant to me.

11. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I'm assuming todays rules. Tough fight to call! I'd say Dempsey definitely wins the early rounds and Jeffries starts to come on late, after weathering the early storms. I think Dempsey would win 6 of the first 7 rounds, catching Jeffries off balance for a first round knockdown, leaving Jim bloody and bruised. Jeffries wins 4 of the final 5, and even floors Jack twice in round 10. Dempsey comes back to attack Jeffries, with both fists, and wins round 11. The doc looks at Jeff's cuts and eyes between rounds and lets him go on. Jeffries hurts Dempsey in round 12, but Jack stays on his feet, covers up, and Jim can't finish him off. Dempsey takes it by close decision...in my opinion.