Jack Dempsey vs Jersey Joe Walcott Prime for Prime

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SonnyListonsJab, Jun 13, 2011.

1. SonnyListonsJab

SonnyListonsJab Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2011
    You didn't answer a simple question. Who of Dempsey's opponents he beat, compares to a prime jersey joe walcott?

If history had been correct, Walcott would have won the title from Joe Louis on his FIRST attempt..if not for the horrendous decision, and Walcott would be rated even higher today for becoming the man to dethrone Joe Louis.

More like he was an all time great future hall of famer who aged like wine, and became top contender during a very talented era filled with top fighters like Elmer Ray, Jimmy Bivins, Lee Q Murray, Joe Baski, Tami Mauriello, Ezzard Charles, Turkey Thompson, Clarence Henry, Bob Baker, Rex Layne, Rocky Marciano, Joey Maxim, Archie Moore, Harold Johnson.

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The Louis-Walcott decision is being seriously over-egged...again.

3. SonnyListonsJab

SonnyListonsJab Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2011
    McGrain,

Admit it. It was a very bad one. Even John Garfield who was a huge Louis fan(had reasons to be bias), was there LIVE at ringside. His opinion is better than anyones on this subject. He claimed Walcott was the winner, no doubt, a horrible decision.

Walcott knocked louis down twice, outboxed him, outsmarted him, outjabbed him.

4. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    As a Louis nuthugger you're not aloud to comment on that 1

That doesn't actually count in the scoring of the time. Suzie everyone knows you're using 2 ids buddy

5. carlosg815

carlosg815 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2011
    I agree. I meant to say there is a lack of video. You are correct in that there is loads of information.

6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Again - based upon what? The information at hand says:

2/3 ringside reports scored it for Walcott

2/3 judges called it for Louis.

Based upon the existing highlights it's basically impossible to see a win for either man - it looks razor's edge.

Bless him, but I don't take his word as final or gospel.

For about the 18th time, my best guess is that Walcott deserved the nod. But your repetition that it was a horrible, terrible decision doesn't make it so, and your persistently listing it as a win for Walcott is inaccurate.

The champion won in a very close fight which he may have been lucky to get the nod in. Then he put that right in a rematch. The End.

:lol: this basically excludes you from nine out of every ten discussions you've had on the forum...

7. carlosg815

Jun 6, 2011
    I would like to know who of Joe Walcott was comparable to Dempsey?

For that matter, while we're playing that game, who on Joe Louis' resume is comparable to Dempsey or Mike Tyson or Joe Frazier or Muhammad Ali, therefore all of those guys beat Joe Louis?

I am making a point in that I disagree with using "Who did he fight that was like this guy?" to back up my case. It really makes no sense when you're talking about the greatest fighters of an era that were dominant and comparing them to other great dominant fighters from other eras.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    :lol:

9. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    Ahhh but you're confusing 'expert' with nuthugger, touche none the less :lol:

10. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I agree whole heartedly.

"X would be the best fighter Y ever faced" is the most ridiculous and over-used phrase on the board. It's usually going to be true in prime-for-prime ATG match ups.

However, Walcott clearly met the better fighters. Beat the better man too. For what that is worth.

11. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    Suzie like all of us has an era/fighters bias, good poster, and probably is 1 of the few with 40s era bias, which was possibly the best era

(after the 80sand 90s ofcourse :D)

12. Armstrong!

Armstrong! Active Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2011
    1: Yes, and a fan can still do research. Lennox Lewis is better H2H and resume wise than Jack Dempsey. :hi:

2: Funny you should say that, seeing as there are a lot more question marks over Jack Dempsey's career. And Lewis may have ducked a prime Tyson, but Tyson in turn also ducked Lewis at one point.

3: Just so you know, neither Lewis nor Bowe ducked each other. There were other problems pertaining between managers, and people like Don King. And for the record, Lewis didn't lose to Holyfield. He was robbed the first fight and got a draw, and had a close fight but clearly won the second time around.

4: I hate when people pull the journeymen bull**** about Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall.
    First of all, Rahman was a solid contender with the ability to knock people out. He was a good boxer and a champion, just not on Lewis's level. Second, McCall was another very solid contender with a steel chin, just not on Lewis's level. The time he lost to Lewis, he was suffering from mental problems. :blurp

5: You are also being slightly narrow minded here but I respect your points.

6: This is a true and fair point about the Harry Wills fight not happening.

7: Please don't call another post full of rubbish when your own post has a few holes in it.

13. Pachilles

Pachilles Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 15, 2009
    :lol::thumbsup

14. carlosg815

Jun 6, 2011
    There is so much "Rubbish" in what you just typed above that I am not even going to take the time to respond any further than this line calling it "rubbish."

15. JAB5239

JAB5239 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Again you have ignored my points and shown proof of nothing. You're wrong in saying there was no money to be made in a Wills fight. If there is a demand for it there is money to be made. If there was money to be made in a Langford-Johnson fight (another fight that was ducked) there was money in a Dempsey fight with Wills. I firmly don't believe you've done to much research in this area.

As far as Greb goes....you still haven't responded to why Dempsey fought ment Greb beat instead of Harry himself. What is the purpose of that? And AGAIN you ignore that Greb spanked him in sparring leading to that famous line by Jack Kearns "we don't want no part of that seven year itch".