Jack Dempsey vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ribtickler68, May 20, 2016.

1. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    i did read the first 3 words, after of that i was bored like hell, you are mentally re****ed. i suspect that you never ever in your pathetic life touched a glove of boxing, and you are talking to me about boxing, lmao what a pathetic nerd, kill yourself trash :lol::hi:

2. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    lmao finally a person with brain

3. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    :lol::deal

4. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    You can't even make an argument on anything but outrageous insinuations. You're attempt to discredit me is pitiful.

Any thread there is you always make it into something about Foreman. In your mind Foreman is the p4p greatest of all time :lol: HE GOT KNOCKED OUT BY ALI!

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    So did Patterson,Liston,Frazier,Moore,Foster ,all world champions at one time or another.I don't see the relevance of your statement.:huh

6. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    Swivel you know nothing piece of sh!t.

7. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    janitor;17983644]

I think you need to re evaluate your idea of a " finisher "

The above is a contradiction in terms. Particularly when the fighter concerned KO'd 60 more people than he outpointed.

8. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    o jesus, in this moment i love you foxy lol. i did think that i was crazy or anything... but this guy was talking
    inconsistencies.

FINISHER:
    Describes the puncher WITH THE ABILITY TO TERMINATE HIS RIVAL WHEN THIS ONE IS HURT. FOREMAN DID IT MORE TIMES THAN DEMPSEY AGAINST BIGGER AND BETTER MEN.. THIS GUY IS TALKING PURE TRASH

9. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I know stepping in will get me stepped on,

but I think what Janitor means by "finisher" is a man who doesn't miss when he has his opponent hurt.

Despite very high KO percentages, Foreman, and Marciano, did tend to miss a lot when they had men hurt,

in Foreman's case at least early in his career. Note how many punches he misses against Chuvalo when he had George against the ropes and hurt. Chuvalo said on TV that he wasn't getting hit by Foreman's punchers "thrown from outside the window" and that the ref shouldn't have stopped it.

Watching the film, Chuvalo has a point.

Still, not missing that much when you have a man hurt doesn't mean you are the guy that stops the most people.

Hard to evaluate Dempsey versus later fighters though, because of the lack of rules about going to a neutral corner and allowing the man who was knocked down to be standing and able to defend himself before you're on him again.

10. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Dempsey wasn't exactly a clinical finisher. He had Willard on the floor seven times in the first round and couldn't put him away. The fight was stopped in the corner after the third round. Dempsey couldn't put Willard down in the second or third.

Dempsey floored Firpo seven times in the first rounds, and Firpo kept popping up and then knocked Dempsey out of the ring. And, in the second, Dempsey dropped Firpo four more times and he just kept getting up.

And Willard and Firpo weren't exactly technically skilled at all.

When Dempsey floored Tunney, who was technically skilled, I don't recall Dempsey finishing him after he had him hurt.

Who did Dempsey just blow out in short order? Carpentier - a super middleweight by today's standards? Frazier wiped out Bob Foster more easily.

Dempsey never beat anywhere near the calibre of heavyweights Frazier did and Dempsey never fought anyone who remotely resembled Joe Frazier.

I imagine Dempsey would've been completely overwhelmed by the constant bobbing and weaving, the constant punching, the lack of clinches, the ripping left hook over Dempsey's low right hand.

Dempsey's mind would've been blown.

Frazier by KO.

11. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    I was saying that Foreman isn't he p4p greatest of all time. If you look at the context from which the statement was said you would know.

12. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    What the fvk does swivel mean in this context? You can't even talk in understandable statements.

Quit c*ckriding so much you're going to tear your rectum and die from internal bleeding.

13. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't disagree with most of what you are saying here.

As for finishers, Louis might be a better example than Dempsey, as he not only rarely missed, but the rules were modern in allowing his opponents to be ready for him.

As for Dempsey, he didn't miss Willard and Firpo, they just got up.

Most of Louis' opponents got up a few times also.

Who did Dempsey blow out in short order?

In fairness, quite a few. Fulton comes to mind. But is short order the same as finishing a hurt fighter?

If Dempsey could win this one, I think it would be more on having the better chin, but that point might be dubious.

I favor Frazier.

14. yancey

yancey Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2007

Hey, are you sure Ali "knocked out" every one of those names you list?

I thought in your world a knockout was a 10 count. Otherwise, it would be a TKO, stoppage, or better yet, a "retirement". :lol:

We need to be consistent in our terminology, don't you agree? :good

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    If the Chuvalo fight had been allowed to continue old Georgie would not still be entertaining us today, he would be a drooling cabbage:nutcase
    .I disagree about Foreman's accuracy ,watch an old Foreman against Gerry ****ey.How many punches does he miss here?
    Early in his career he wanted the Liston rep and tried too hard to get it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDd3IRMw_Us