Jack Dempsey Vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by RAMPAGE0017, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Hard for me to imagine Louis getting blown out early. The guy could be temporarily hurt or stunned but he was never ever in trouble like Dempsey was against Firpo/Flynn early in the fight.

Putting money down for this fight wouldn't be smart but I'd go with Louis.

The more movement and angles Dempsey gives Joe the better his chances are. Wading straight in which for some reason people think Louis is vulnerable to would be the end for him.

2. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    moneytheman12 likes this.
  3. Pachilles

Pachilles Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Unforgiven, this is just the most extreme form of nuthugging. Dempsey gets sparked out. And to you, reality is not even a possible option.

It can only possibly be either a fixed fight or he was sick and injured. To quote you.

Jack Dempsey himself claims it was legit.

This is just further proof that Dempsey's legacy is mythologised

4. SonnyListonsJab

SonnyListonsJab Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Joe Louis KO 1 Jack Dempsey

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Dempsey himself claimed he was injured and untrained, broke his hand working in a bowling alley and couldn't train or defend himself. That was one of his versions anyway.

Others say he was hard up for cash and took $300 dollars to go down. Joe Williams wrote an article about it, Dempsey'd former wife testified in court that he'd taken a dive.
    Of course Dempsey'd not going to say he took a dive.

Personally, of course I don't know. I just have my opinions. It's a strange result.

What do you base your judgment on ? You seem to know Dempsey was sparked out (presumably, because he's ****, right ?) ..... but you talk about it as if you've actually seen the fight.

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Thats it! Round two, with Louis OUT!

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Now I know I'm in trouble ,because I agree with you.:oops:

8. SonnyListonsJab

Apr 24, 2011
    Louis proved himself against far superior competition than Jack Dempsey. Dempsey has major question marks in his career, Louis does not.

9. JAB5239

JAB5239 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I gotta disagree my man. Dempsey has his flaws as have been pointed out over the last several weeks, but he was a helluva fighter and would have been better than anyone Joe faced in his prime.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  10. SonnyListonsJab

Apr 24, 2011
    Joe Louis was also far superior to anyone Jack faced in his CAREER. Dempsey had nice skills and footwork, but Dempsey would get wild while on the attack(just like he always did), the low hands would come, and Louis would patiently wait...then bombard him with blazing fast 5-6 punch combinations down the pipe and dempsey would fall...and that would be it. Dempsey would also have to pay the price to coming inside by taking Louis' tremendous jab, a jab Dempsey never seen in his career until Tunney dominated him with it for 20 rounds.

Dempsey looks great on film, against certain fighters. Then you put him in with Class A fighters Sharkey and Tunney...and all of a sudden he doesn't look so earthly shattering. Granted, he was past his prime but you get the point. In Dempsey's prime, he never faced that really big threat to him, that A level fighter like Harry Wills he needed to prove his skills and power against.

11. JAB5239

Feb 23, 2008
    I don't necessarily disagree with you analysis, only that Louis faced superior competition. :good

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Louis was down against Schmeling x2,Galento,Braddock,B Baer,Walcott x3,I'll leave out Marciano.
    I think it's entirely reasonable that Dempsey gets Louis out of there, and early. Of course the converse is true too.:think

13. SonnyListonsJab

Apr 24, 2011
    It's not even close really.....

Marciano > Anyone Dempsey faced

Charles - Tunney: Let's call it a wash

Walcott > Sharkey

Conn > aging Gibbons

Schmeling > Miske

M Baer > Brennan

Carnera > 37 year old Willard

B Baer > Morris

Braddock > Carpentier

Pastor > Levinsky

Galento-Firpo: We will call it a wash

Then you got Mauriello, Uzcuden, Simon, half blind JH Lewis, Mann, Nova, Godoy, Farrr, Ettore, Dorazio, Poreda, Ramage, Perroni, Brion, Savold, Retzlaff, McCoy, aging Bivins, Old Sharkey

easily over

aging Gunboat Smith, Old Flynn, Porky Flynn, Devere, Meehan, Pelkey, Anderson, Kellar, Bonds, Darcy

14. JAB5239

Feb 23, 2008
    Im not talking about the competition each faced, but the fighters themselves. Both Louis and Dempsey would be the best fighters either had faced had they the opportunity to fight.

15. SonnyListonsJab

Apr 24, 2011
    In there primes, yes. I happen to think Marciano is at least on the same level as Dempsey as a fighter, puncher, and finisher....and Louis fought the very best version of Rocky Marciano.