Jack Dempsey vs larry Holmes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mr Butt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    These two greats over 15 rounds

2. Theron

Theron Boxing Addict banned

Sep 2, 2012
    I love Dempsey but Larry wins here i have to say, an argument can be made for Dempsey though

3. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    This is an easy one for me actually - most times there's some element of doubt - but this one I 100% think Dempsey KOs Holmes - Jack is too explosive a puncher for Holmes and too vicious when he has his man hurt - he will hurt Larry badly at some point and when he does he won't let Larry escape - he was too vicious a finisher at his peak to let Larry escape - Holmes was there for the taking against Shavers and Snipes - once wobbling like that he wouldn't escape Dempsey - see Tyson fight for a more likely outcome - Holmes was savvy enough but I think you needed a bit more zip, a bit more speed than Holmes had to really outbox Dempsey

4. jdr

jdr Guest

Holmes jab's simply find Dempsey over and over through the fight and Holmes could move well which would help keep the swinging Dempsey away. Dempsey's toughness see's him go the distance .Holmes on pts

5. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Holmes via wide decision. His jab would be doing damage the entire fight and his right hand would be keeping Jack from walking through him.

Holmes would block and roll with most of Dempsey's shots, and Holmes had the chin to take the shots Dempsey did get in. In my opinion this is an easy fight to predict.

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Good match-up, would be a classic brawl.

7. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Holmes on tko. Dempsey to crude .

8. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Both in their primes...I'll take Dempsey...could be a classic...

9. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dempsey with his speed and firepower-prime to prime....could be a Tyson like KO from round 1-10

10. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Holmes cautiously jabs his way to victory.

11. tommy the hat

tommy the hat Active Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Holmes boxes his way to a UD much like Gene Tunney did.

12. lbarrow

lbarrow Active Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2004
    holmes all day long. dempsey was amazing but when holmes was young he was brilliant. he wpuld be too big and sharp for dempsey. holmes punching power was underated to i think he stops dempsey late on in a classic

13. Theron

Sep 2, 2012
    :censored:gsg
    Thats like saying in an Ali vs Holmes matchup oh Homes would jab Ali to death because it would be a prime Holmes vs a 3 year laid off Ali, Dempsey was off for three years this is Dempsey from the Willard and Firpo fights nothing like the Dempsey who fought Tunney

14. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Holmes keeps Dempsey on the end of his jab, Holmes isn't Williard. Scores a late stoppage.

15. Theron

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree Holmes would win might get knocked down early but will get up and win, but i just hate it when people use the Tunney reference its like using Ali after his layoff in his prime matchups