Jack Dempsey vs. Tommy Gibbons

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Jan 25, 2021.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I didn't post on this one last night like I had planned 2, although I did watch it. This will be a shorter post than any of the previous ones that I've done, quite simply cuz I had less thoughts on it, which is rather unusual considering the fight when the full 15 rounds. I did have three things about the fight I wanted 2 bring up though.

1. Does anyone know the story of how this fight bankrupted/ supposedly bankrupted Shelby, Montana?

2. Before the 5th round, a slide went up. It said that Gibbons rocks Dempsey w/ a straight left. I was watching, and although Gibbons landed a few good lefts, I never saw Dempsey get rocked in that round. I would like 2 know if anyone disagrees w/ me on this.

3. In a slide before the 6th round, it said that it has been claimed that Dempsey fouled Gibbons while in the ropes. It all happened really fast, and not the entire thing was caught on camera, so it was a little hard 2 make out. It looked 2 me like Dempsey hurt Gibbons, who started 2 reel, and Dempsey hit him while he was turned away. I don't really know if that's exactly what happened, so I don't know if I think Dempsey fouled him or not. Did anyone think they saw this part clearly? Do they think Dempsey fouled him, or no?

Verdict: Waste of time. Yawn of a match. More interesting to read about really.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Fergy and Jason Thomas like this.
  2. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I have a framed poster from this fight on my living room wall.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Like this one that much, do you?

4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    From what I recall, they basically agreed to terrible terms to pay Dempsey, paying him stupid amounts. They also paid him in multiple installments, where if they failed to make the later ones the fight was off, and they'd lose the previous ones.

They struggled with the later installments, so as well as paying tons of money, they got rubbish ticket sales because the fight looked like it was going to be cancelled late.

But I've seen slightly different tellings and that was just from memory, so someone will probably correct me later in this thread.

5. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
  6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Included in Moyle's book on Miske is the story of Gibbons, the next day, showing reporters extensive bruising around his groin and upper legs from all the fouling. Moyle's take seems to be that Dempsey fouled a lot in that fight.

William Walker likes this.
  7. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    The ticket sales were actually strong and the fight would have made money but Kearns kept threatening the promoters that he would pull it if the final payment wasnt made in a timely fashion. He did this at the eleventh hour which caused a wave of cancellations from both ticket holders and special trains (which caused further cancellations). This domino effect ruined the gate. Dempsey went on with the fight and accepted terms to take his final cut from the gate receipts. If they had just agreed to do that quietly and not have Kearns telling anyone who would listen that they were going to walk Dempsey would have made more money and the town wouldnt have been bankrupted. Thats why Kearns was so hated by the town and had to hire a special train to make a quick getaway immediately after the fight. Instead of working with the promoters in good faith he kneecapped the promotion and hurt everyones bottom line as a result. Only he and Dempsey came out ahead and they still didnt make the full amount they were promised.

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You would think that you would have to be pretty inept to lose money on a Jack Dempsey title fight!

louis54 and William Walker like this.
  9. DanDaly

DanDaly Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2020
    Essentially a shitty venue combined with, as mentioned, ridiculously high terms to pay Dempsey. Everything was overly priced and the people were not having it. Supposedly most spectators didn't even pay to get in. Gibbons fought for free apparently. I'm not sure if that's true because the same source says he got paid $7500 https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Jack_Dempsey_vs._Tommy_Gibbons

I haven't watched the fight in a little bit but Dempsey could definitely have fouled Gibbons. Was pretty common back in those days.

10. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Something I came across at an estate sale. The guy had tons of Montana boxing memorabilia. A friend of mine got the bulk of it. I think that @GeorgeCrowcroft would have had an interest in the posters and programs from the Roger Rouse v Bob Foster fight.

William Walker likes this.
  11. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    why would he be interested in that?

12. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    No one would have ever heard of Shelby, Montana if it weren't for Dempsey and his promoter.
    It was an oil town back in the day.

13. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
  14. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Was there some good biographical info on Gibbons in the book?

15. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Hey Bob .. as I remember it it had some but was really more about Kearns and how he wanted to circumvent Rickard and do his own bout w Dempsey and a lot of the beg hid the scenes for the most part ..

robert ungurean likes this.