Jack Dempsey vs. Wladimir Klitschko

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by djanders, Apr 27, 2010.

1. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Get Outta Here Powerpuncher - nobody is really bothered what you've got to say to be honest - nothing you say will change the fact that you're a loser - hey loser your bus is leaving - quick go jump under it :good

2. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    :lol: Yes Newbie well played given you know nothing about me, I'm not going to stoop to boasting but lets say I'm quite content with my achievements and my lot in life, are you? :good Obviously you are all bothered by my posts, otherwise you wouldn't reply :hi:

EDIT I'VE JUST REALISED YOUR THE IDIOT WHO THINKS WLAD HAS A SLOW JAB :lol: Your opinion is worthless

3. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Why do you have to lie? Did I ever say I saw Jack Dempsey fight 80 years ago ?But that is what you posted to bolster your position.A damned lie!!
    Second point you post, that you "don't give va damn what some FAN's
    opinion about Dempsey eighty years ago...Did I not write that "the vast
    CONSENSUS of boxing experts who saw Dempsey extolled his greatness "
    and not one boxing fan,as you posted...
    As for my senility, that Is hitting below the belt...I am aware enought to
    know a fabricater like you...I might be "long in the tooth ",but I know right from wrong,I can assure you..
    I must now change me Depends!!

4. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    Firstly if you read my posts carefully you'll see I didn't accused you of lying at all. I pointed out that you hadn't seen more than us of 'Dempsey's Prime'.

You accuse me of being a 'fabricater' please point where I have fabricated anything

Furthermore your point that 'we haven't seen a prime Dempsey' I don't believe to be true. We've seen Dempsey from Willard onwards and many consider that to be his prime

Dempsey is a great, charismatic fighter. 1 of the most exciting fighters to have ever been filmed at that point, 1 of the first to have his fights regularly played at theatres, the first to really embrace the glitz and glamour of Hollywood.

But do all these things not make it harder to analyse exactly how good he was? Does that mean we should overlook his level of opposition? NO, Does it mean he proved himself the best of his era. No and he didn't and this is 1 of the main problems with the man

Does that mean his style is impregnable to weakness and he'd beat any contender from any era? Ofcourse not. Has boxing moved on in many ways since Dempsey's day? Yes in my opinion it has

I disagree with many writers of today, why would I take a word alone of a writer of yesteryear when I can trust my own eyes?

My 'senility' comments were a disrepectful jibe and I apologize, but in turn your prior comments were disrespectful.

I'm not even sure I buy your whole story here, but if you are the age you claim I'd recommend anti-ageing supplements like Arginine AAKG, Citrulline Malate, Panax Ginseng, Gaba, MSM, Glucosamine, Ginko Biloba and plenty of fresh fish. If taken in the correct dosages they should make you feel healthy/fitter/less creeky, although if you're already on heart meds not all would be suitable, see I'm not complete nasty *******

5. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    Skip forward to the begging of round 1 and see how fast Wlad's hands are, not just his jab but his fast short left hook, amazing for a big man

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLDy88Ud5bA[/ame]

I'm not even a fan of Wlad or either Klit, I just acknowledge how good and how hard to beat both are

6. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    There you go again,as Ronald Reagan said..You AGAIN distorted my post
    by saying "i dont take the word of a writer of years ago"..I have repeatedly stated "the VAST CONSENSUS" of boxing experts who saw him numbering in the hundreds at least, raved about him..So either the large multitude of boxing reporters of the twenties,were somehow ******ed, in thatr case we should disgard the past, andembrace some savant like you...No I dont take heart pills, as I have many friends and no enemies.
    I rely on history and so should you...

7. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    PowerPuncher,

That's not nice to say about Stonehands. I think he is one of the very best posters on the forum, one who I respect a lot.

8. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    Stonehands always strays away from boxing debates to get personal with me, he's a vindictive **** plain and simple and 1 thats rarely got a clue. I'm sure he's big enough to look after himself, despite the fact he's a midget

9. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Indeed i would say that. :D Though to be fair, I wouldn't make such a comment about Lewis-Mercer. Raymond never fought better than he did against Lewis and I don't pretend it would've been an easy decision win if Lenny stuck to the jab and maintaining distance. Mercer had the rare combination of a good jab and pressure fighting and his 64-6 army amateur record and Olympic heavyweight gold medal show that he does have some skill.

One thing, though. You say "Lewis was never the technician that Bowe could be". Well, great. But the bottomline is that Bowe, even during his prime, had mediocre opponents obtain 50% connect rates against him. Which, among others, lead to his quick downfall as a top boxer.

The Vitali Klitschko fight came at 37 years of age after more than 20 years of boxing mileage. Really, that's a poor example. How about I point out Bowe's form at a mere 29 against Golota?

Speaking of Golota, just like Tucker, Briggs, Akinwande, Bruno and Grant he got absolutely destroyed when he fought Lennox Lewis. Note that these men are about as big as Lewis but it didn't help. You're only picking out VK but don't look at the context.

Wlad is tall, has good footwork, a great jab and a weak jaw - start infighting would definitely be giving up his advantages.

By anyone he's fought. Sure, pick his opposition apart. But may I point out that Dempsey was down thrice against Firpo, who doesn't posses any skill whatsoever? That Holmes was badly hurt against Snipes? That Holyfield was an inch away from getting stopped by Cooper? That his namesake also had Ali in bad trouble? That Bowe was out on his feet against Hide?

My point is that heavyweights hit hard. Very hard. As the examples above show, the question "offense... from who?" can have surprising answers. Since Steward got Wlad on the jab and keep the gap program, he barely got hit at all, against several world class fighters.

Off the top of my head. Wlad counterpunching, 4:26:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuH0UMpN9Pc[/ame]

Slip under a big hook, 4:03:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSy8HZM9Vow[/ame]

Making the opponent miss and throw a combination, 2:12:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4eEgWlGqo[/ame]

It's out there - whether you want to see it is something else.

And there have been plenty of champions, technicians like Holmes, who have been ineffective against unimpressive competition.

You seem to be rating on a pound-for-pound basis. I'm talking about heavyweights, where size is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

As for your cactus-quote, I think it's misleading. Foreman, a huge puncher, by all means should've destroyed a slow starting, smaller swarmer like Frazier. And he did. Should we not give him credit because he has those attributes and put them to work?

10. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    That was a sharp left hook Wlad landed against Derrick Jefferson. Wow.

11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Mercer has allways been a sucker for a jab, Holmes showed us that ,and I dont think Wlad looks particularly faster than the 41 year old Mercer here.Mercer is just palpably outreached.

12. Ponysmallhorse

Ponysmallhorse Small but proud Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    What???

13. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    wlad has the most speed of all superheavyweights.feet and hands.
    he doesn't have long arms like lennox and bowe,so his punches travel faster

14. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Finally, intelligence to duel with. Where's that delusional Powder Puncher?! --Go get your dictionary so you can follow along and learn something about what a debate is, and what it is not.

Absolutely. Mercer has some skill, though Holmes really embarrassed him in one of the most comedic fights I've ever seen. Ahhhh.....experience....

I'd say that his downfall wasn't due to his defense per se, it was due to his glaring character flaws that effected his development and his performances. Futch wanted to smack him. And rightly so.

Bowe is alot like Dempsey. When I compare and contrast either with other fighters I'm really looking at only of their fights -their best. Bowe was capable of great things and could have been one of the best technicians in the history of the division had he had more character.

Perhaps the best mark of a technician is how he performs when he is outgunned, aged, or both.

I wasn't impressed with his technique in any of those bouts save for Tucker if I remember right. And remember! Lewis had an eraser in both hands. THAT is the context.

Again, I don't assert that he should start closing the distance and neutralize his physical advantages. That wasn't the point.

Wald's comp is at an "eh" level and he still got stopped three times. In which of the examples you gave did they not win?

Dempsey's reign is not ranked highly by me at all. But adversity bothers me not a bit. Who is out there and who you face is what I'm looking at. If a fighter is cleaning out his division, I'm not about to start calling him great if I see tomato cans littering the ring. I'm not calling all of Wlad's conquests 'bums' but you see the point.

I can't agree with your reasoning. Holyfield got tagged by Cooper, hurt badly, came back, and stopped his persecutor. You would not compare that to any of Wlad's stoppage losses or expect that overcoming adversity and facing an array of monsters as Evander has should be comparable to all of Wlad's last 6 defenses combined, right?

How long did it take you to find those...? I respect your preparation.

The first two clips look like accidents -particularly the second when Wlad almost got his head taking off by a left hook the second before. Did we weave or did he waver? Heh.

If you sat an immortal ****** down at a typewriter, the laws of probability will tell you that eventually, he will produce Shakespeare.

Seriously, I have no doubt that Wlad can at times demonstrate more than jab and a big right for offense, or a clutch and stretched neck for defense, but the point is too strong to overcome with a few clips. And the point is --He ain't no damn technician.

Does that make him not a technician? Or does it mean that technical skill is not important?

No. It is far more likely that Holmes' lapses were due to one of the many variables inherent in a man and in the ring. Technical skill is a safeguard to help prevent accidents. Guess what- size is too. Wlad has one and not the other and he is poorer for it. Just because he is fighting in this era doesn't "prove" that "he must be a technican" or that "technical skill is not critical" under more stressful circumstances.

Hindsight, Chris. Foreman was a 7-2 underdog. Frazier's speed advantage and his own power and experience made it so. "Geogre can't deal with my speed ...I'm not gonna stand there and let him hit me," Joe said before the fight.

Had Foreman destroyed Bert Cooper insteadofFrazierin1973, I'dagree. Have you forgotten that Frazier had just taken the 0 off of a certain 6'3, highly experienced, speed demon's record?

15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Mercer was palpably outreached by Lewis but still landed many, many great jabs. Klit is far faster when he means to be in that footage. And he changes the speed on his jab like a baseball pitcher throwing fastballs and change-ups, setting and upsetting the timing of his opponent. It's something he continues to do very well to this day.