Jack Dempsey vs. Wladimir Klitschko

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by djanders, Apr 27, 2010.

1. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Oh, I wouldn't write Dempsey off, don't get me wrong. It's just that Wlad is so, so good at maximising his advantages against smaller guys. Dempsey has the dual problem of closing down Klitschko's footwork while avoiding both the jab and the counter right. He was impressive with his mobility against Willard, so - who knows, he might do it. But I'm not favouring him to do so.

2. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Dempsey is 10x tougher than Wlad.
    He is fast with a deadly left hook - Wlad's nightmare style wise.
    However Dempsey was small, ~ 185 lbs.
    Can see both outcomes, Dempsey blitzing him or Wlad stopping him

3. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    wlad gets chopped down in 1, painful to watch.

4. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012

These are good points. Skill, heart & other physical talents such as speed are important.
    But we would never even consider the most athletic LHW-who rehydrate to & often past Dempsey's prime weight-being able to compete with large, top HWs AT a weight under 200-let alone in the 180's.

Also the nuanced points above re: Cooney losing to Spinks when a washed up alcoholic are well taken...
    But also, Spinks was 208 & 3/4 lb. for that fight & strength trained for years, he was NOT 190.
    He actually had had about Cooney's lb. for lb. muscle weight when considering body compisition, & especially height.

Here is a good article about the fight: [url] https://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/15/sports/spinks-vs-cooney-reluctant-warriors-at-the-shore.html[/url]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  5. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I feel Dempsey was easy to hit with the jab because he dipped his head forwards as he crouched coming in, bringing his head nearer to his opponents lead hand so they can land the jab often, Wlad would easily set up his straight right by landing his jab on Jack then following up with his 2, his reach would too much. Do fans feel Jack has a chance because he beat the 6'6 Willard though?

6. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Wlad would have stopped Willard easily and he was much better than Firpo.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    His crouching if anything made him harder to hit with jabs. Tyson was the same. Shorter guys getting under and then exploding out of it. Don't forget how far down guys like Wlad would have to punch.Dempsey's head movement and footwork made him somewhat elusive for sure.

young griffo likes this.
  8. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    wlad has a chance you mean