Jack Johnson (1909) vs Jack Dempsey (1919)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ChrisPontius, Sep 6, 2014.

1. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
  2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I've always favored Dempsey in this match up.

3. Meazy-E

Meazy-E Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2012
    15 dempsey, 25 I would assume jack if he can weather the storm early, Jack Dempsey's work rate is and movement is very wrong for that many rounds.

4. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    You put guys in that type of minimal clothes, shaved head, & pose-mostly the garb & baldness-& so many would appear reminiscent of a toddler, even young.

Johnson sought a fight, even long after his prime. I suspect Johnson could thwart him.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Dempsey is my favourite fighter but I go with Johnson here.,

Unless Dempsey can land big early ,I seee him smothered and rendered harmless by Johnsons's spoiling tactics.
    What should be a great fight will, I feel degenerate into a snore bore.
    It will be Johnson's fault but he will walk away with the decision.

imo

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Dempsey via KO. Johnson was Ko'd by a super middle, floored by another middle, out boxed by another super middle, and knocked silly in an ex match in 1909 ( at his peak ) vs another fighter under 190 pounds.

Johnson could not tame Hart. How is going to deal with Dempsey's power, speed and determination?

7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    On the other hand, Dempsey was out-boxed by former flyweight Meehan, completely out-boxed by Tunney, flat-out ducked Harry Greb, had the toughest fight of his championship years with master-boxer Gibbons - how's he going to deal with Johnson's skill?

8. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I've always considered this one of the more difficult bouts to call. Dempsey's raw agression, speed and power versus Johnson's ring intelligence, skill and endurance. Both men well ahead of their respective times.

I'd consider Johnson a slight favorite because the mathador usually tames the bull. Plus, Johnson takes a pretty good punch - I think he'd weather the storm early and keep stinging Dempsey enroute to a decision. A wear-you-down type of pressure fighter would probably match up better with Johnson - see Frazier vs Ali.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Dropped by Tunney,and dropped by Johnny Sudenberg 9 times,kod by Johnson 2x victim Jim Flynn,its silly to post this , but no sillier than Mendoza's post.:hey

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Johnson was dropped by a super middle who according to Pollack weighed about the same as him ,a supermiddle that Jim Jeffries, Jack Johnson, Bob Fitzsimmons,Tom Sharkey ,and Jim Corbett state was the hardest hitter they met. The Ketchel kd I dont believe was legit and ,even if it was Ketchel weighed over 170lbs for that fight ,so he was not a middleweight. O Brien fought just like Jack Dempsey didn't he?:patsch Over 6 rounds he would give any of his contemporaries trouble.
    Johnson was put through the ropes in a sparring session, this is according to the man who did it Gun Boat Smith in a taped interview. Vitali Klitschko was dropped by Travis Walker and Raphael Butler in sparring,Tyson by Greg Page , Liston by Ray Patterson, Marciano by Toxie Hall.

I don't know how many times you are going to regurgitate this ,or precisely what you think it means?

What I do know is your desperate attempts to make a case are not only futile, but self demeaning.

Why not concentrate on how Dempsey could win instead of manically trying to disparage Johnson ? You're pathetic.:patsch

11. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This has always been an intriguing match up in my opinion. Johnson could quite conceivably have outboxed Dempsey,nullifying Jack's swarming offence. Equally,it's feasible that Dempsey could have outworked Johnson.

Much depends on Johnson's ability to take The Mauler's punches in the latter part of the fight.

12. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Let's put it this way, if you had to bet your house on the winner, on which fighter would you place your money? For me, I'd have to put it on Johnson. Despite the fact that Dempsey was far more entertaining and fun to watch, and I admit I generally root for punchers over boxers, if it came to betting my hard earned cash, Johnson would be the smarter pick. You might not like how he went about winning the fight, but nevertheless, he'd find a way to win it.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I concur.:good

14. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Dempsey could easily and quickly knock Johnson out if he lands a few clean punches. However Johnson was very elusive and hard to catch clean. I could see Johnson decision Dempsey in a tactical fight.

A real 50-50 fight. Dempsey has the one punch KO power x-factor.

15. gentleman jim

gentleman jim gentleman jim Full Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I agree with apollack. My heart says Dempsey but my mind says Johnson. I just think somehow he'd find a way to win.