Jack Johnson could beat Frazier (but it wouldn't be easy)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Glass City Cobra, Aug 4, 2022.

1. 15 rounds

15 rounds Member banned Full Member

Jul 19, 2022
    So maybe he was what you said. Martin was down and out quickly by vs many fighters. I don't list fringe contenders in fantasy fights for Frazier, but for Johnson guys with lousy records are mentioned when they are over 200 pounds. Why is this so? It like saying Frazier beat Doug Jones, a cruiser weight sized guy. So what, Doug Jones it's not among his best wins. Not even close. Yet some posters mention the fringe contenders and less men for Johnson to prove a point.

Off topic Doug Jones looks decent of film, better than the ham and eggers Johnson fought. We do agree with the pick of Frazier, and no Martin, Jeffords, and Russell are nothing like Frazier in ability or record. Yet we see them mentioned in a fantasy match between the two.

2. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Many accounts have Langford doing well in that fight, some even thinking he had done enough to win. Too bad there isn't footage of it.

3. 15 rounds

Jul 19, 2022
    Yes I do. In 1908 Jack Johnson weighted in at 190 pounds for Burns. Here's the Jack vs Burns and McVey. 190 pounds for both.

[url]https://www.nytimes.com/1908/12/26/archives/jack-johnson-wins-police-stop-fight-negros-punishment-of-champion.html[/url]

[url]https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=LAH19031028.2.125&srpos=&dliv=none&e=-01-1901--12-1915--en--20--1[/url]

Where can I see the weight for the Martins fights?

4. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I meant Martin weight, you said he weighed 190 lbs which isn't true.

5. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Show me these accounts.

6. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Langford had lost to Jack Johnson the only time they had fought, on April 26, 1906, in a fifteen-round decision. Johnson was 29 lbs. heavier than Langford, and though he knocked down Langford in the sixth round, many spectators felt Langford had won the bout, even though Sam was on the verge of going down several times only for Johnson to hold him up and prevent a knockdown. In truth, Johnson actually toyed with him, carrying on conversations with ringsiders all through the fight. After winning their first match, Johnson repeatedly refused rematches against Langford, who was considered by some to be the most dangerous challenger for Johnson's crown. Another explanation for this Johnson's refusal is that he knew that a fight between two black fighters would not generate nearly as much revenue as a fight between him and a white man.

Regardless.. Jack Johnson clearly ducked the rematch.

7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Frazier would destroy Johnson. Johnson looks like crap on film.

15 rounds likes this.
  8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    A common criticism of Johnson, is that he only fought smaller men, and this simply isn't true.

A number of the great heavyweights of the past, are vulnerable to the criticism that they made their bones against smaller men, but Johnson is not one of them.

It is a valid criticism against Sullivan, Jeffries, Tunney, Marciano, Patterson, and some later men.

It is not a valid criticism of Johnson.

9. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Source? It looks like a post from this forum, not contemporary writting.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. 15 rounds

Jul 19, 2022
    I know Johnson fought bigger men, I just disagree that these opponents you mentioned are any good. It is as if he beats a 205-215 pound Mcvey, so he beats a 205 -215 pound Frazier. I don't think your saying that, just checking. So exactly what are you saying? You have me at a disadvantage for now. We agree Frazier would win. We can see the records of these " big men " that Johnson fought and few of them are on film and not very good! He lost to one and has draws with others.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    My point is that Frazier's size will not in and of itself be an issue.

12. 15 rounds

Jul 19, 2022
    I don't have the fight write up, do you? If so please share. I'd like to read it. Matin fought Johnson multiple times and fought Ferguson who wasn't very good one year before meeting Johnson was 190 lbs. I should have stated that more clearly.

13. 15 rounds

Jul 19, 2022
    Then you are using what would be a journeyman and saying because he was the same size he was as formidable as Joe Frazier. It doesn't work that way, I think you should know better. Again the big men Johnson fought would be blown out by Frazier and were not good.

Focus on the quality of the men, not the fact that some weighted over 200 pounds.

14. SolomonDeedes

SolomonDeedes Active Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Here's the fight report from the San Francisco Examiner. They describe Johnson as looking like a "pygmy" compared to Martin.

[url]https://ibb.co/WWTmLjQ[/url]

Pugguy and 70sFan865 like this.
  15. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Do people not realize that Johnson's style, if permitted by the ref, would potentially be very frustrating for a short armed slugger like Frazier? If Johnson grabs his lead arm (used for the left hook) and can remain like this for several seconds at a time smothering Frazier, this would cut about 60% of Fraziers offense in half as he was very reliant upon his left as the backbone of his style.

70sFan865 likes this.