Jack Johnson vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by YesMySon, Nov 20, 2015.

1. YesMySon

YesMySon Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2015
    15 rounds.

old time clinch rules.

2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Frazier smokes him up...

3. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Frazier.

The head movement would get Frazier inside and Jack would have to hold an awful lot to contain him. This isn't Fireman Jim Flynn or little tommy burns. Frazier was strong and had a tremendous inside game. I think Jack would be game. He was strong and had a good inside game as well I think Joe is just busier and better than most Jack fought. Hart took it Johnson and Frazier is much better than Hart.

4. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    I can't see Johnson losing to any fighter like Frazier that relies so much on one single punch......especially the hook. Johnson smothers Frazier in close while at the same time landing his excellent uppercut. Fight goes round after round with a similar pattern. Occasionally Johnson moves around Joe peppering him with jabs and straight right hands. Frustrating evening for Frazier as he loses in a one sided fight by decision .....most all rounds in Johnsons favor.

5. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    I could see this being a fairly one-sided fight, and I'm not sure for who.

I favor Johnson unconfidently.

6. AREA 53

AREA 53 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Well first off, No Gold-toothed Grin is going to phase Joe, After being around Ali, much less in Battle with him, Jack's not going to gain any psychological advantage, it will have to be done through painful Deed, and if we are talking about the March 8th 71 Joe, then we are talking about A Bobbing Weaving Jinking Pressure Hooker...And not the Easy Target he may of appeared in some other Fights, As for Having one Single Punch, well it could come in Multitudes.... plus up close Joe had a Nasty Little 'Jolt-Jab' which inside he lifted the head with for the Hook, it cut Chuvalo Quarry and Stander to ribbons, Of course this punch probably is redundant here, But the Hook... The Shot that Flattened Ellis, nearly decapitated Bob Foster, and Floored Ali after 14 rounds of War.... Jack may try to slow down the pace.. but as soon as he goes looking for that Uppercut... Joes Cultered Left Hook is ready to Zero in... Jack's a Showman...but this Joe is all Business..
    It's Frazier for me

7. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Frazier has no chance against a prime Johnson. He would find Johnson unhitable and he would be busted up on the inside.

8. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    If we are talking primes here, Joe Frazier is easily the best Johnson fought. Jack Johnson fought his best name opponents when they were a mix of young, green, or old!

Johnson's best win is likely Tommy Bruns who stood about 5'7" tall and weighed in at an estimated 168 pounds for the fight.

Those who fought Jack Johnson when they were in close to their primes in Choynski ( past his ), Griffin ( Past his ), Klondike ( Pre-prime ) and Hart ( in his prime ), Willard ( in his prime ) all beat Jack Johnson!

You could say a smallish non-puncher in O'Brien edged Johnson on points that were ruled a draw, and a journeyman with some size but little skills in Battling Jim Johnson drew with Johnson. Both of these were title fights.

I think Joe Frazier smokes Jack Johnson inside 7 rounds. If Jack hit harder he would have a better chance.

9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Perry,

Many smaller men or slower men easily hit, floored, or cut Jack Johnson. This myth that he was unhittable is quickly dismissed on films. I have seen just about all of them with Johnson, perhaps only missing very rare one that was filmed post-Willard in a bull fighting ring...if it exists!

Frazier nailed a taller and more mobile Ali and chewed up smaller boxer types. I think he'd hit Johnson plenty.

If you watch the films objectively, you might change your perspective as long as you allow your intellect to trump personal favorite types. The good news is many of the films are on you tube these days.

Cheers.

10. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    I've watched them all since1972. Prime Johnson has no trouble with any fighter who relies on one punch to win a fight. Prime Johnson wins decisively.

11. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    frazier.

old school rules do favor jj, but he's not so great on the back foot and he's gotta land at least 1 perfect shot to take him out, i don't see that.

12. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
  13. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
  14. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
  15. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Frazier. FOTC Frazier would be too strong and fast.