Jack Johnson vs. Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Vince Voltage, Nov 14, 2018.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Excellent post!

2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I'm taking the boxrec weight as being about correct as the newspaper accounts said that Sam, at the time, was only a middleweight on his best day. They also said, and not only one or two, that Johnson outweighed Sam by at least 30 pounds.

3. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Charles had been stopped twice before Marciano turned the trick, once by Marshall and once by about the prettiest KO punch ever delivered. He had a pretty stout chin.

I believe that Jeannette had been stopped once when Johnson faced him.

I do not contend that Choynski KO'ing Johnson is indicative of Jack's chin.

Just to clear things up.

4. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I´ll just type it a third or fourth time: Johnson looks very good on film in therms of reflexes, adjustment of distance and tying up a fighter. Good timing of the uppercut as well. These things are very useful fighting shorter opponents with lesser reach then himself.

Just stylewise, for me it looks like Johnson has an advantage.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I know, I was being a bit facetious S. Box Rec is probably near enough Pollack estimates between 156/160lbs so Johnson could have had 20lbs on him.I've never thought of it as one of Johnson's best wins,it is what it is.
    ps Just booked a few days in Lisbon next March for my partner's birthday,looking forward to it ,though she is a bit apprehensive about the hills.

6. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Exactly. It is what it is. Things don't always work out perfectly. It happens with every champion.

Enjoy Lisbon. I'd be back there if I could swing it.

mcvey likes this.
  7. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    We don't have compubox to tell us how many were landed. He won these fights because he was busy. If you can show me a punch tally saying that either man landed more than show it to me.

It doesn't have to say that he "clearly" won it. There are lots of fights that can go either way.

Here is one that mentions no robbery, only a close, exciting fight with the knockdown making the difference:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...sNHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7IoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2538,2608790

You have to understand that Lastarza was from New York, so of course the press and crowd were for him.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  8. The Malibu Mauler

The Malibu Mauler Lakers in 5 Full Member

Oct 2, 2018
    Marciano. Strong and durable, he'd go 50-0 after this one

9. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    I LIKE JACKS SAVY,OVER 15

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I dont think Marshall stopping Charles indicates Ezzard's chin was suspect I was illustrating how facts can be slightly "bent " to accommodate an agenda if someone was so inclined.
    I know you don't. We could discuss how Johnson gets points marked down for beating the black trio when they were short of their prime,but if we did that we should then talk about how Rocky's best wins were all over past prime fighters.Two of whom never fought again.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Alternatively you have to understand Rocky's manager was the match maker for MSG, if anyone was getting a break in NY it was Marciano and several reporters thought that is what happened .

Nighttrain likes this.