Jack Johnson's Aborted Two Tries At Defending HIs Title Against Jeannette

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I was hoping to have dialog on this with the poster Mcvey as he asked for monies offered to Johnson to fight Jeannette or Langford, but it appears he has been banned. I'm not sure why, but this is at least the 4th time.

The news read shows there was money to fight Langford, but he didn't make a dime vs Moran. Since Johnson was often broke, you'd figure he would have given Sam his shot. I think we'd all would have liked to see that one!

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Johnson didnt make a dime for the Moran fight because the promoter did not pay either fighter, the money was held in a bank, if you looked at the date of the fight you should get a clue as to what happened!
    You haven't posted an offer of $30,000 which was Johnson's asking price for a defence and had been since he won the title in1908!
    If I posted an offer for Joshua to defend his title against a ranked contender and the offer was less than half what he normally got for a defence , plus he wold have to travel across the world at his own expense, would you blame Joshua for not accepting it?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  3. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Back from being banned so soon? What did you do this time?

You are correct Johnson, who declined Langford's offer did not make a dime. Neither did Moran. But the money was there had he fought Langford. That is clear.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/120205481?searchTerm=jack johnson declined offer

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes Johnson declined an offer to defend his title against Langford in London 1914 his purse to be £3000,his price for a defence was £6000 and had been since he won the title in1908 6 years earlier.Why would he accept an offer that was half his asking price, and pay his own expenses to and the UK and back?

Perhaps you can enlighten us what was attractive about such an offer?

Johnson did not receive his purse for the Moran defence because the promoter, who was also Moran's manager, arranged for the money to be frozen in a French bank.The date of the fight might also explain the the more historically up to date here why neither fighter was ever paid!
    "On Jan23rd the London OLympic Sporting Club offered Johnson a $30,000 purse split3/4 to the winner and 1/4 to the loser for a Johnson v Langford match.Even assuming England would allow Johnson to box there.
    Johnson was matched to fight Moran in Paris in June for a guarantee of $35,000,more than they were offering for
    Lanford fight.Johnson knew he could get more than they were offering.He could practically dictate his own terms" "Jack Johnson The Reign ."Adam Pollack .
    Johnson injured his right hand in the fight and it was very swollen his gloves had to be cut off.
    "Johnson agreed to fight Langford next,the fight to take place in mid October,for a guaranteed purse of$30,000, plus50% of the motion picture receipts.The articles were to be signed in London on July1st.
    GunBoat Smith the White Heavyweight Champion challenged Johnson.It was opined that if Smith decisively defeated Carpentier in their scheduled July1st bout that he would be the logical candidated for the next crack at Johnson,given that he had beaten Langford".Pollack
    "I've got no kick coming,the Black completely surprised me.Everybody led me to believe all I had to do was last 10/15 rounds,and I'd be sure to win soley on the age, and bad condition of the Negro.But Johnson's defence was as good in the19th round as in the first and when the twentieth came,I was too much all in to notice," Frank Moran.Pollack.

Given that you are so obsessed with Johnson I wonder you dont buy the books that would give you these facts,and save me the trouble of continually typing them out for you?
    ps The thread is about Johnson and his 2 attempts to defend against Jeannette,but I've humored you, so perhaps we might now return to the subject?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    dinovelvet likes this.
  5. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Johnson could have made money fighting Langford. He made zero vs Moran.

Don't mis quote Pollack when he's wrong. "
    This content is protected

Sure he knew. LOL, he got $0 vs Moran.
    This content is protected

Okay there is a purse. Any problem with the money? LOL? Why didn't this one happen?! Do tell. Your obsession with this man prevents you from reason. He didn't want the fight Langford, period! If I choose to buy the book, I can pull quotes like this and have you on the defensive all day.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm not misquoting Pollack .Johnson signed to fight Moran for a purse of $35,000 .The promoter put the money in a French bank and it could not be accessed without his signature he was Moran's manager and having contractual problems with Moran,not Johnson, neither fighter got paid and neither did the manager and promoter Dan McKettrick who was also Jeannette's manager.
    The London offer for Johnson to fight Langford was for half of the amount Johnson required for a title defence,ie £3000 Johnson would not fight for that amount .It was not Johnson's fault McKettrick tied up the purses of the fighters.I don't see what is so difficult for you to understand here?
    I correspond with Pollack,I'll tell him you, the authority on Johnson,said he is wrong.
    If you bought the 2 volumes on Johnson you would save me a lot of typing and yourself a lot of embarrassment! But then you don't seem to cotton on to the fact you are regularly shown to be ignorant of the facts.
    As you haven't produced a single verified offer of $30,000 for Johnson to defend against his 3 black contemporaries and given that you've had over 10 days to come up with one,can we expect to have seen the last of these spurious claims from you?
    Now, have you anymore fake news for us?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  7. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Here's another one. Johnson offered to fight Langford. $30,000 or £6,000!

Can't you ever learn? Johnson did not make dime vs Moran. He avoided Sam.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/6419628?searchTerm=jack johnson ducks langford

Links are facts, you are the fake news machines. It's over.

Want another offer on a different year? Why not! 10-11-1910

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/229986190?searchTerm=jack johnson offered to fight sam langford

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/184872676?searchTerm=jack johnson offered to fight sam langford

Did you read them? What can you possibly say now? The money was up and deposited. No longer can you hide.

Please try to learn, your'e an embarrassment.

I can find more if needed. Just admit you're wrong. I know you can do it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    That does not say everything, the details are these.The purse was for $30,000 but to be split as follows the winner to receive 75%, the loser 25% so Johnson would not have received $30,000. More over Johnson was not to be allowed any training or travelling expenses.
    You really need to get all the facts before making these silly forays of hate motivated tid bits.This offer is covered in Pollack's book and I've mentioned it myself.
    Face it fella you've come up with nothing in over 12 days trying, this time and innumerable earlier attempts in the past, and don't I know how hard you have been looking!lol
    No Johnson didn't make anything from the Moran fight, the promoter tied up the purses in a French bank ,please explain how that reflects badly on Johnson or Moran?
    Now would you like to discuss the subject of this thread, the two attempts by Johnson ,Jeannette, and the McMahon Brothers to stage a title fight between Johnson and Jeannette? If not, I really don't see why you are still here?
    Fake News

dinovelvet likes this.
  9. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007

You're full of crap. The offers were there. It's OVER. You asked for them, I showed you several. I hope the other posters are readying this,

Case closed. END OF.

Insert excuses ad nauseam! Pollack can't help you. The money was up and reported by the press. Duck, duck duck.

10. SolomonDeedes

SolomonDeedes Active Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Johnson accepted this offer and the bout was scheduled for London in October. Then the war started and it fell through.

https://pasteboard.co/JrMd07Y.png
    https://pasteboard.co/JrMdoc7.png
    https://pasteboard.co/JrMdGkz.png

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You have never poduced a verified offer of a purse of $30,000 with a promoter ,location and date that Johnson refused.And you never will,you posted two offers one of 50% of that amount with no travelling expenses to the UK and another the most recent, which divided the purse 75% to the winner and 25% to the loser.I had already posted this on this thread the difference being I had all the facts and details and you did not.Now if you dont want to discuss the two unsuccessful attempts to promote a Johnson v Jeannette title fight,I suggest you go and pollute someone else's thread.

dinovelvet likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006