Jaime Munguia - The Next Fernando Vargas & Arturo Gatti Combined

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    One of Golden Boy Promotions up & coming top stars 'Jaime Munguia' is being billed as the next big thing - along with Mexican stable mates Vergil Ortiz & Ryan Garcia. But Ortiz & Garcia are more skilled & refined boxers as opposed to Munguia (although Garcia has technical flaws that could cost him down the line if he doesn't fix them).

Munguia reminds me of a combination of Fernando Vargas & Arturo Gatti. Heritage wise he reminds me of Vargas & somewhat similar style (although Vargas was far more skilled technically). However, Gatti is very similar to him in style - both being aggressive sluggers with crowd pleasing styles, with little defense-to-no defense, being all about offense. Also their temperament in the ring is similar. Gatti was not an elite fighter, did not have a great resume, & everytime he stepped up - he lost. Despite that, this did not stop him from making a lot of money, being a ppv attraction, and being put into the HoF. I see this being the same fate for Munguia. I don't see him being an ATG like Chavez, Barrera, Marquez, Morales... Still this is a very good position to be in, as a lot of boxers far more skilled & accomplished than Gatti don't get this privilege when they retire.

He also may end up like Vargas - who was rushed into big fights to early as it's rumoured that he's fighting GGG next. While I wanna see the fight & I'm completely for it it could be ultimately be bad decision in the long-term for Munguia's career as GGG is still dangerous despite his age & could ruin Munguia & shorten how long his career is.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    What? Every Mungia fight I've seen has bored me to tears.

Badbot and Wizbit1013 like this.
  3. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Both Fernando and Gatti displayed actual boxing skills during the prime of their careers. Let’s see if Mungia can get by on more than just size. I myself believe that once he faces someone in the top 10 that’s of similar size he’s getting KO’d..

4. FromBuenosAires

FromBuenosAires Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    vargas was ten times the boxer munguia will ever be and gatti was always involved in fun fights, munguia has been part of some snoozefests already. the potential golovkin fight is calculated risk, win and become a star overnight or lose and chalk it up to inexperience, moving up in weight, etc.
    Also neither garcia or ortiz are mexicans.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  5. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Golovkin breaks Oscar's Hymen Munguia and ends the hype.

Reinhardt likes this.
  6. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I dont see the comparisons for Vargas.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  7. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    Theres no hype for Munguia, hes a work in process and continues to get better after each fight. He has a better shot now than he would have, had they fought a few years ago, but i still see GGG winning this. "Tomato Tomahtoe, its all the same!"

8. JOKER

Dec 18, 2019
    He's one of Golden Ploy's three future marquee fighters, Gordo. Gordo, gordita, it's all the same!

:lol:

9. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    Nah, no hype for Munguia, but Your makeup is running, clown.

10. JOKER

Dec 18, 2019
    Your mom loves the look.

:nusenuse:

11. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    Sowwey but momma said your madula oblongata isnt working cuz of all that man juice you be swallowing on a regular... homo the clown

12. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Even the tureano Johnson, denis hogan and sadam ali fights?

Showstopper97 and drenlou like this.
  13. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I am not a mungia fan and have pointed out flaws of his, lack of big fights at 154 with the other champs facing each other and his robbery decision vs Hogan, if you follow my posting history I don't scream robbery much but he lost to hogan

That said I like his offensive style and his lack of defense combined with his power makes things interesting. I dont think I'd put him up there with vargas or gatti.

Showstopper97 likes this.
  14. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Medulla, don't try to be smart if you can't spell.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hogan did, haven't seen the others. I've seen Spike, Smith and Hogan, didn't enjoy any.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    KO KIDD likes this.