Jake Lamotta Vs Marvin Hagler

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Megamac55, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Megamac55

Megamac55 New Member Full Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Who wins? Why and how

2. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 26, 2007
    I'd take Hagler in a close, hard fought decision. He'd probably out-box and out-point Jake in the early goings behind his jab and better lateral movement. I expect, however, that as the fight wears on Jake would start to catch up with him and the body shots would take their toll over the full 15. Still, similarly to the Antuofermo fight where Hagler gassed late, I think Hagler's early lead gives him the edge in the fight.

Tonto62 likes this.
  3. EL-MATADOR

EL-MATADOR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Hagler outboxes him on the way to a UD.

4. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Two Iron Chinned warriors going at it. I can't pick a winner.

5. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Hagler on points. Neither man gets stopped, neither man goes down.

Tonto62 likes this.
  6. FINITO

FINITO Boxing Junkie banned

Jan 29, 2009
    Hagler UD

Lamotta is tough but way too primitive for Hagler.

7. p.falk

p.falk Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Explain.
    Lamotta's style wasn't any more primative than Haglers.

8. FlatNose

FlatNose Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Nothing could be farther from the truth. Take a look at some old films of LaMotta. He boxed from behind a busy jab, threw compact combinations, and worked upstairs and down. Hagler was not quite on the skill level of Jake. LaMotta by decision.

The Morlocks likes this.
  9. Williams27

Williams27 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Hagler TKO 11 LaMotta. Hagler wouldnt land as many shots as Robinson but would hit with more power and eventually cave LaMotta's face in. LaMotta wins 2 rounds and scores a flash knockdown before he gets destroyed. Hagler was a natural 160 - 165 pounds. Robinson was a natural 147 - 152 pounds. Thats why Hagler is able to stop Jake like Ray did, a few less punches with a little more power.

10. Williams27

Williams27 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 18, 2008
    By the way Hagler threw faster combo's then Jake (just watch the films) and had a 3-5 inch reach advantage.

Reinhardt likes this.
  11. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Hagler was not quite on the skill level of Jake. LaMotta by decision.

That is some of the most ignorant sh#t that I've ever heard on here. Your can throw out 10 middleweight greats and Hagler will be able to outbox 8 of them. Thats his pedigree man. He only started to brawl when he kept getting robbed in his earlier years. And yes as hard as LaMotta's head was, Hagler at his best would've stopped him or at least battered him.

12. punchdrunkgench

punchdrunkgench Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 19, 2009
    what a supperb fight this would be,no quater would be given by either man and i reckon they would be appealing for blood donors the week before the fight!
    i would say hagler on points over 12 rounds but over 15rounds jake would have more of a chance

Tonto62 and The Morlocks like this.
  13. tliang1000

tliang1000 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 18, 2007
  14. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 26, 2007
    Hagler did not hit with more power or better combinations than Robinson, under any circumstances. Not to mention the only time Ray stopped him over 15 was against a faded, badly weight drained LaMotta. No chance of a stoppage here.

Tonto62 and The Morlocks like this.
  15. FlatNose

FlatNose Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 16, 2006
    When you compare not only the skill level of Hagler and Lamotta, but their opponents skill level, it only makes it more obvious that Jake was the better fighter. A guy like Jake who hands Sugar Ray Robinson, the greatest fighter ever, his first loss, and has four other close tough fights with him , plus all the other great fighters like Cerdan and Zivic is certainly more skilled than a guy who struggles with a past it Duran and gets beat by Leonard , coming back after five years. Even in his prime , Hagler's best wins were over Antuofermo and Hamsho, hardly all time greats. Yeah he ko'd Tommy Hearns, but so did Iran Barkley. You think ANYBODY could take 5 years off and come back and beat an active LaMotta?