Jake lamotta vs marvin hagler

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sean abrielle, Jul 26, 2020.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah Marshall beat him by dec ,this was a year after Marshall had ko'd Ezzard Charles in8 rds.

2. JLP1978

JLP1978 Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Hagler and Jake were Spartans at Thermopylae. Never call either of them overrated.

Jake fought Robinson 6 times and seems to have deserved at least one decision against Robinson and perhaps another as well. This has almost been thought of as a settled issue for most fans and historians.

Essentially there must have been some compelling reasons for them to fight so many times from a fans perspective. It is nothing but a credit to Jake for fighting the GOAT so many times and competing like he did.

As for Hagler vs Lamotta...I have not seen enough prime Lamotta to give a real judge on him head to head. He actually seemed to be post prime when he won the title. Prime Jake is mid-1940s when he actually got the decision against Robinson...knocking him out of the ring.

I assume that prime Jake is faster, more crafty, more aggressive...scary. Something like we imagine Greb but perhaps more skilled. If not how was he able to drop Robinson so many times?

Obviously the best film we have on him is the StVDM. I believe that we see a great fighter competing at a high level in that fight. He forced a performance out of Robinson that is rare in boxing history. Lamotta retired after that fight.

I am not sure what Hagler is the best version. The one I like is Hagler vs Briscoe and I think that Hagler will need to stick and move to try and outpoint a faster and meaner Prime Lamotta.

I am not sure if Hagler has the power to keep Jake off him. Jake will be in a low crouch getting under a lot of shots so the question for me is can Jake keep up the pressure and make it a messy and rugged fight that Hagler have to overcome with Hagler Hearns type intensity?

If so, then Hagler keep up that intensity for 15 rounds because as we know..there is a difference between Jake and Tommy’s chin?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    You do realize that Lamotta was saved from being knocked down?

4. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Rough fight for Hagler because of styles and LaMotta pressure. I remember the first Vito Antuofermo fight and Vito came on strong in the 13th round and Hagler did not like the pressure and strength- Lamotta was stronger and better than Vito
    could split a few fights but very good matchup - Jake holds his own and may be stylistic trouble for Marv

mcvey likes this.
  5. JLP1978

Apr 3, 2020
    He was saved from being killed. He was too tough to go down...and Ray was in another world as far and killer instinct at that point in the fight.

Besides, Ray had already killed a fighter before. Jimmy Doyle

mcvey likes this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Think trilogy!

mcvey likes this.
  7. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    LaMotta's toughness cannot be disputed but he was a 1 or two solid punches from going down in that fight.

8. JLP1978

Apr 3, 2020
    I agree to a certain point. Jake took about 15 punches in the round that should have sent him down.

Just a fun but somewhat unrelated point. In the 65 rounds they fought Robinson was down 3 times. Hence...”you never got me down, Ray”

MURK20 likes this.