Jake LaMotta vs Nigel Benn

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by emallini, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Ray Robinson could end a fight with a single punch from either hand. Knocking an opponent out takes much more than punching power. Especially a fighter like Lamotta who was never knocked down as a Middleweight. Benn wouldn't even get Lamotta in the position to KO him.

RockyJim and The Morlocks like this.
  2. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Can Jake LaMotta take Benns punch ? Hell he took the blasts of a much bigger and harder hitting Bob Satterfield and in FIVE fights with the great SRR, LaMotta never hit the floor. And it must be remembered that in the fifth and last bout LaMotta had to somehow shed about 12 pounds
    right before the weigh-in for the fight...I remember right before that bout scuttlebutt about his problem which proved true...I don't believe any middleweight in history ever had an iron chin like LaMotta...

RockyJim and The Morlocks like this.
  3. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Bump.
    Do you think the gap closes some between these two at super middleweight? I think so...

4. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Why do you think Benn hit "much" harder?

5. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Lamotta wears him out and stops Benn late.

RockyJim likes this.
  6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Where is the evidence for this statement?:think

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Benn, because Lamotta was a fraud who lived off smaller opposition and gift decisions

8. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I think Benn would take a decision at 168...

9. Phil_Ivey_76

Phil_Ivey_76 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2013
    LaMotta mid to late stoppage. Would be good to watch!

RockyJim likes this.
  10. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Have you actually seen any of LaMotta's fights?

11. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
  12. 2piece

2piece Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Benn will come out fast and rock him with some big punches. He probably stuns Lamotta a few times in the first three rounds that will be hellacious. Lamotta usually a slower starter will probably speed his pace up a bit in rounds 1-3 to keep up with Nigel, but I expect him to give them away. As the mid rounds approach Benn's activity will start to drop off, but Lamotta's pace will be picking up more and more and he will be causing damage to the body, breaking Nigel down taking most of the mid rounds. By round nine Lamotta will be fighting at a fast pace and Benn who didn't have the best stamina at middleweight will be faltering do to punching himself out and the consistent body attack. Lamotta will finish with a big flurry with a mix of body and head punches where the referee has to jump in to help Nigel who's on the ropes taking damage.

The Morlocks likes this.
  13. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Excellent

14. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    At middle weight ,Benn's going to come out blasting .Jake's going to get hit and hit fast .But he's getting through one way or another .By the 6 th ,Nigel's slowing right down and his shots are losing impact. By the 9th ,LaMotta s bullying in and ragging Benn about .
    Its about here that Nigel's lost it and gets pummeled and stopped .
    An older ,Super middle weight version takes it a lot more slowly and could possibly get a point s win but hed have to take some rough shots from Jakey boy .

15. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Is it now @ 168??
    I'd favor Benn at that weight. LaMotta never has nor ever will impress me. Guess I'm in the minority here just not impressed with a short armed pressure fighter with no punch. TBH the fact I dont like him plays a very small percentage here. Yea I know.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.