James Figg The First Champion

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by gregluland, Aug 18, 2015.

1. gregluland

gregluland Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2011
    This content is protected

This content is protected

2. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    First question I want to ask from ya'll, where do you think boxing would be today if Figg was never born ?????

3. Ted Spoon

Ted Spoon Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Certainly a pioneer though due to his multiple disciplines and the lack of rules it's difficult to put him into context, and this has the knock-on effect of finding accounts of his style rare if not impossible. There wasn't much contrast because it was a novelty.

When Jack Broughton came about he inserted a structure to the sport and used a distinct method of fighting which is recorded.

What's interesting is that Broughton was a pupil of Figg's, so there's a direct link. Both were solidly built men who clearly trained, none of that pot-bellied business latter portraits of John L. Sullivan insinuate.

4. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    Thanks Ted, I am not trying to compare Figg to anyone who comes after, I mean head to head he certainly beats every boxer after him all the way up till now, I mean no boxer I know of could stand up to Figg when he has a sword in his hand..... :rofl But seriously, the link I put up and the article up top do give more insight than I am used to, This guy was obviously a very very very very tough man and a big one too for his day that's certain. It seems he was well nigh unbeatable at these events with 200 plus bouts and either undefeated or with a single loss depending on which story you believe He is also a great entertainer and in regards to my question above I think this great showman is indispensable to the entire story of boxing,

You then mention Broughton, or Boughton, and he takes it a step further introducing the first rules, I don't believe he was Figg's grandson though, I think it more likely that his eventual conquerer Jack Slack was that, Slack is credited with inventing the "rabbit" punch incidentally but back to Broughton, he and Figg are very important in the development of our sport andsome decades later the next big step seems to be made with the arrival of Daniel Mendoza who believed that boxing was a science and he seems the first to write down a manual for how to box, indeed this manual is no short little article, it is very involved and there was a lot to learn from his book...... In fact Mendoza is vital to our understanding of how the very best actually fought and what sort of style he used, so much detail a talented man could actually demonstrate his style in action.

Figg was much more a mixed martial artist than a boxer but he was also the first to be noted as a bare knuckle fighter of the highest order.

5. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    If Figg were born in 1695, he'd not be 50 in 1734.

We don't have any mention of him participating in boxing match. Captain Godfrey only wrote about Figg in the section dedicated to swordmasters, but not in the section about famous boxers.

Sutton wasn't the only one who defeated Figg, he was defeated at least once more, by Richard Stinson (commonly known as Gray Lock) in mid-1719. The verse included in Byrom's book (I'm not sure it was written by Byrom himself) was dedicated to the third match between Figg and Sutton, held on October 20, 1725.

Some sources claim that Figg and Broughton participated in a boxing exhibition at the conclusion of the match between Whitaker and the Venetian gondolier, but such was not the case, as the Whitaker-Venetian bout had taken place on January 20, 1725, I believe Broughton had not even moved to London at that point.

6. Senya13

Jul 11, 2005
    As for him being a pioneer, if we take him purely as the "Master of the Noble Science of Defence", he was no pioneer at all. The guild of the masters of defense was founded in England in 16th century. Although it had lost its influence some time in the 17th century, but the practice of masters of noble science of defense exhibiting their skills to the public was very common even after that, and advertisments about such bouts can be found as early as in 1701-1702 London newspapers, the wording of those ads not much different from those used in the newspapers during Figg's time.

7. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
  8. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    Hi Senya, I appreciate your two posts very much but I do want to have this thread as a repository for all things James Figg so if you can please put up links to your sources. I have no qualms if much of the Figg legend is disproved or proven, no what matters is historical fact. This was an era where sources are very hard to find via google, I went through 4 google pages and found zero original sources just these two articles and I chose then for their detail and because they entertain.
    I am well aware he is far from the original master or teacher of the english martial arts and swordplay. I have a book showing in detail and in pictures of instructions on how soldiers should use broadswords, Pikes, arquebus, cannon, halberds etc, you may have seen some of these from the 16th century and 17th century. What matters is how he relates to our sport, it has been virtually taken as gospel that he gave ancient boxing a rebirth and he is called The Father Of Boxing and I am very keen to learn more facts. Obviously you have done some research into this subject and I am glad you are here so please post links as you find them.

9. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    That was wonderful reading and the first really detailed description I have read of a Figg fight,,, this man is getting more intersting by the day

10. Senya13

Jul 11, 2005
    A couple of advertisements from 1701, to compare the wording to those from Figg's time:

1701-01-04 The Post Man (London, England) (page 2)
    A tryal of Skill to be performed at his Majesty's Bear Garden in Hockley in the Hole, on Thursday next being the 9th instant, betwixt these following Masters, Edward Butler, Master of the Noble Science of Defence, who hat lately cut down Mr. Hasger, and the Champion of the West, and 4 besides, and James Harris, a Herefordshire man, Master of the Noble Science of Defence, who has fought 98 Prizes, and never was worsted, to exercise the usual Weapons. At 2 a Clock in the afternoon precisely.

1701-02-28 The Post Boy (London, England) (page 2)
    To Morrow, being Wednesday the 4th Instant, a Tryal of Skill is to be perform'd at his Majesty's Bear Garden in Hockley in the Hole, between these following Masters, beginning at 2 of the Clock precisely, viz. William Carpenter of Oxford, who was the last Man that fought Thomas Cook the famous Butcher of Gloucester, does now again Invite the said Thomas Cook, Butcher of Gloucester, to Meet him, and Exercise at the usual Weapons.

1719-06-20 The Original Weekly Journal (London, England) (page 5)
    At the Boarded-House in Marybone Fields: On Wednesday next, being the 24th of June, 1719, will be perform'd a Tryal of Skill, by two Masters.

I William Broadmead, lately Serjeant of Dragoons, born at Silverton near Exon in Devonshire, Master of the Noble Science of Defence, and have fought many good Masters in England and Ireland, hearing of the Character of this Brave and Bold Master James Figg, Master of the said Science, to be one of the best Masters in England, do invite him to exercise the usual Weapons with me for 20 Guineas, although I never fought in London, nor never seen him fight.

I James Figg, from Thame in Oxfordshire, Master of the said Science, never thought to mount the Stage any more, but hearing of the Character of this bold Master, will not refuse to fight him at the Time and Place appointed, for 20 Guaineas above-mention'd, and do not doubt but to give him, and the Spectators, Satisfaction as usual.

N. B. Each Master finds his own Weapons, and him that giveth most Cuts shall have the 20 Guineas.

1719-08-22 The Original Weekly Journal (London, England) (page 5)
    At the Boarded-House in Marybone-Fields; On Wednesday, being the 26th of August, 1719, will be perform'd a Tryal of Skill.

Whereas I Richard Stinson, (commonly known by the Name of Gray Lock) from Dublin in Ireland, Master of the Noble Science of Defence, having a Difference upon the Stage with Mr. James Figg, and his insisting upon the Wound he received to be very foul, do therefore Invite him to fight me for the whole House, and to mount the Stage without Seconds.

I James Figg, Master of the said Science, from Thame in Oxfordshire, who fought the said Stinson, one Bout, and received a Wound, which I do still insist upon to be very foul, and a Report spread abroad, by many People, that I was dead of the said Wound, will therefore (God willing) meet him at the Place and Time appointed, to let him know that I have Life enough in me still to give him sufficient Satisfaction, and to fight upon no other Terms than for the whole House, and without Seconds.

The Doors will be open at Three, and the Masters mount at Six.

The last one obviously serves as a proof of a previous defeat of Figg, which he wants to avenge.

Whitaker-Venetian bout sources:
    1725-01-09 The London Journal (page 4)
    Last Sunday in the Evening an English Gentleman at a Coffee-house in St. Martin's-lane, talking of the extraordinary Dexterity of his Countrymen in fighting with the Fists, commonly called Boxing, an Italian Gentleman in the same Coffee-house offer'd a considerable Wager on the Head of one of his own Countrymen; whereupon a written instrument for 100 Guineas was immediately drawn up, which was signed by both of them, and lodg'd with the Master of the House. The Italian soon produced his Man, and as there is no doubt of his being soon match'd, the issue of this Combat is daily expected.

1725-01-16 The London Journal (page 4)
    The English Gentleman, who lately wagered with a Foreigner at Slaughter's Coffee House in St. Martins Lane (as mentioned in our last) that he would find one of his Countrymen who should beat the Italian in Town, famous for Boxing and Victories that Way (on whose Side the foreign Gentleman made his Wager), as soon as the Articles were signed, applied himself for a Man to the celebrated Mr. Fig, who has procured him a Grazier, known far and near for a stout Boxer; and he is now entertained at Mr. Fig's House for Instruction and proper Diet till the Day of the Battle. We are assured that some Thousand Pounds have been laid on this Occasion, and that a great Body of Butchers, who have been Witnesses of the Grazier's Dexterity, have waited on the Gentleman, his Patron, with a Request, that he would let each of them go a Guinea with him; but the Gentleman is so satisfied with his Man, that their Request was not granted. The Combatants have had an Interview, when the English Champion took the Italian by the Hand, and invited him to one Bout for Love (as he termed it) before-hand; but he declined it. In a Word, the Publick daily enter into this Affair with so much Passion for the Event, and Gentlemen are so warm on both Sides, that it looks like a National Concern.

1725-01-28 The Caledonian Mercury (page 5103)
    From the St. James's Evening Post, Jan 16

London, Jan. 21. Yesterday, pursuant to several confiderable wagers laid between some Italian and English Gentlemen at Slaughter's Coffee-house in St. Martin's Lane, there came on a notable Boxing Match, at Figg's celebrated Amphitheatre in Oxford Road, between Stopa l'Aqua, a Venetian Gondalier or Waterman, and John Whetacrean English Drover. The Battle was fought with equal Spirit and Resolution on both Sides, but not with equal Stature, Strength or Skill, the Italian being the tailed by several Inches, but the Englishman the most sturdy, for he received all the Attacks of the Italian without much Hurt or Concern, gave him several terrible Falls without having one himself, and beat him so sorely, that he was forc'd at last to cry out Basta, which signify'd that he was tylsd enough. There was a numerous and uncommon Appearance of Spectators, Count Staremberg and other Foreign Ministers being present, to gether with several of the English Nobility and Members of Parliament, to see which Nation carry'd the Day.

The verse describing Figg and Sutton fighting for the prize was published in
    1725-10-30 The London Journal (page 2)
    LONDON.

The following Copy of Verses was written Extempore, last Wednesday Se'nnight, by a Gentleman who was a Spectators of the famous Tryal of Skill between the Two Great Masters of the Noble Science of Defence, Messieurs Figg and Sutton; but came much too late to be inserted in that Week's Journal.

11. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
  12. Senya13

Jul 11, 2005
    Here's what those fights looked like, taken from "James Peller Malcolm Anecdotes of the manners and customs of London during the eighteenth century. — 1810."

The Spectator, No. 436, enables us to form a correct idea of the brutal sports of the Bear-garden—the Theatre for the double exhibition of natural brutes and the degeneracy of human nature. The ridiculous movements of the bear appear to have been too innocent an amusement for the populace; they therefore gave place to pugilism and fighting with swords: the latter diversious were certainly countenanced by the customs of the Antients; but the tyranny of their government and the ferocious nature of their people were palliatives that Englishmen could not plead. Their emperors and senates erected stupendous amphitheatres for public games; youths were tutored from infancy for gladiators, and slaves fought for the entertainment of their masters ; the populace were used to see gashes, blood, and death, nay to see criminals rot in their streets; and the males hardened female feelings by their military plunder of and cruelty to the surrounding nations. But the British populace knew not of those horrible proceedings ; and most probably Miller and Buck were ignorant that a Roman state ever existed. We therefore cannot but be surprised, that so many years were suffered to elapse before the vigilance of the Magistracy was roused to suppress the hateful wickedness of a few miscreants who had it in their power to attract men around a stage to view their fellow-citizens endeavouring to maim each other ; but, however disgusting the recollection that such things have been, we must rejoice that no Serjeant now dare offer, or Human Butcher receive, a challenge similar to the following :

" I James Miller, serjeant (lately come from the frontiers of Portugal), master of the noble science of defence, hearing in most places where I have been of the great fame of Timothy Buck of London, master of the said science, do invite him to meet me, and exercise at the several weapons following: backsword, sword and dagger, sword and buckler, single falchon, case of falchons, quarterstaff."

The author of the above paper declares he witnessed the combat the challenge occasioned; and I shall endeavour to shew it to the reader in its true colours, divested of that romantic and chivalric air with which it is glossed in the paper alluded to. Two drummers, whose bodies were disfigured by the wounds they had received in battle, preceded the challenger, a stout athletic man with a blue ribband tied round his right arm, accompanied by a fell dæmon, a second or friend, one who is described as bearing in his breast that malice which darted amongst the crowd through his organs of sight, the crowd whose eagerness had arisen to frenzy; keen expectation marked their features and convulsed their limbs, motion impelled motion, the stout overwhelmed the weak, the tallest the short, impatience and anger prompted removals, and instantly a grand transfer of places ensued: the spectators rushed from the the gallery into the area, and from the area into the gallery ; and confusion reigned triumphant till Buck appeared, when all was hushed. Now observe the picture: the combatants, stripped to their shirts, shake hands to show that they kill each other in good will, and prepare to injure and defend. Turn to the spectators, examine their breasts, what is the result?—Humanity ? Pity ? Fear ? Horror ? No : those passions would have rendered the Bear-garden desolate. The painter finds but one dreadful chaos, a compound of features expressive of eagerness, partiality, and hope; not that Miller or Buck may escape injury, but that Back may conquer Miller, or Miller Buck, Mark the issue: Miller has received a dreadful cut in the forehead, and his eyes stream with blood. Who leaps upon the stage to staunch it, or part the fiends ?—no one. What then succeeds ? —a yell of satisfaction, a huzza from the crowd. But, not to dwell on this horrible scene, a gash on Miller's left leg terminated the combat. " The wound was exposed to the view of all who could delight in it, and sewed up on the stage." One solitary female shed tears for Miller, and hid her face; but, my author seems to hint, her humanity was selfish.

A far more innocent amusement was announced directly after the battle, in No. 533. Mr. Clinch of Barnet entertained the publick at the Queen’s-arms tavern, Ludgatehill, for one shilling each, by imitations with his voice of the Flute, doubly Curtel, the Organ with three voices, the Horn, Huntsman, and Pack of Hounds, the Bells, &c. &c.

Dawks's Newsletter of April 2, 1713, has the following article: " Yesterday a trial of skill was fought at the Bear-garden between Henry Clements and Parks of Coventry, where there was good sport, hacking and hewing. It is thought they got 50l. apiece, the French ambassador being there, and giving them money very liberally." Soon after three bouts " at threshing flail" were announced; and a flourish of " no cut, no bout."

…

Wells, who had left the old Bear-garden at Hockley in the Hole, and established that at Mary-le-bon, died in 1721. Dan Singleton composed the following ludicrous epitaph on the occasion :

"Shed, O ye combatants, a flood of tears;
    Howl, all ye dogs; roar, all ye bulls and bears !
    Ye butchers, weep! for ye, no doubt, are grievers,
    And sound his loss with marrow-bones and cleavers,
    Wells is no more! Yet death has been so kind
    That he hath left the bulls and bears behind."

One of the newspapers of the day says: " By the decease of Mr. Wells, the original Bear-garden in Hockley in the Hole is now likely to be thronged, especially since all the old gamesters are resolved to bait every Monday and Thursday; and the gladiators have promised frequently to try their skill there; the brutes to box ; the furmity and, hasty-pudding eaters to cobble down their hot guttage at Madam Preston's, and at no other place."

The French Comedians appear to have met with little encouragement at the Haymarket, Aaron Hill announced himself manager and director of a new company formed by ladies and gentlemen who had never before appeared on any stage, with the aid of scenery quite novel and upon an improved plan. He opened with his own play of " Henry the Fifth" in December 1721.

The prognostick relating to the Bear-garden in a preceding paragraph seems to have been realized in June 1722 by the following extract from the London Journal: " Boxing in public at the Bear-garden is what has lately obtained very much among'the men; but till last week we never heard of women being engaged that way, when two of the feminine gender appeared for the first time on the Theatre of War at Hockley in the Hole, and maintained the battle with great valour for along time, to the no small satisfaction of the spectators. The challenge and answer of these females being originals, we give them to our readers:

" I Elizabeth Wilkinson, of Clerkenwell, having had some words with Hannah Hyfield, and requiring satisfaction, do invite her to meet me on the Stage, and box with me for three guineas, each woman holding half a crown in each, hand, and the first woman that drops her money to lose the battle.

" I Hannah Hyfield, of Newgate-market, hearing of the resoluteness of Elizabeth Wilkinson, will not fail, willing, to give her more blows than words, desiring home blows, and from her no favour."
    Their habits on this occasion were close jackets, short petticoats, Holland drawers, white stockings, and pumps.

13. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
  14. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014