James Jeffries as an athlete.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    One only has to read the above post and my 3 posts prior to see that Entaowed has completely lost the plot in his own, self revealing, non sensical rants.

A self imploding meltdown, reflecting very poor comprehension (real or feigned = same disruptive effect) and replete with false and seriously out of order narratives along with numerous self contradictions while still, desperately pumping for the first, last and most words/posts in between.

He has tried to fly under the radar again, in yet another highly disturbed “boy who cried wolf” appeal to the Mods.

In his last attempt to “report” he ACTUALLY followed up on his OWN post to add derogatory comments before I had even written anything subsequent to the first of his two post/part episode.

When your own posts are responded to (not by me but others) with WTF? or stating that you’re seriously not being understood or that “no one is going to read that”. - maybe time to reflect and ask yourself some important questions. Anyway, he’s not my problem except for his stalky and false posts.

AGAIN, he should fly and be free - how hard can that be for him? - he is clearly having huge issues executing same.

Tockah likes this.
  2. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Jeffries was no doubt a good athlete but he would have no chance of getting past the semi-finals in any elite competitive sprint race, even with modern training and equipment without losing weight and having dedicated training to fix his biomechanics.

I sense hyperbole, note the potential for human error and quite simply, any athlete going full out in such a duration will see significant decrease in times, running efficiency and speed endurance.

Side note - I like the two posters entangled in this dispute - it's ruining the thread. Sometimes, best to say thank you, smile and stop responding. Anyone married knows this - a long dark, unfruitful road that reminds the old timers why they don't post as much as they could. You guys are much better than this.

Entaowed and Pugguy like this.
  3. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    You are right of course-that whatever the grievances are at a certain point others suffer.
    However I think you would find constant, defamatory, at best delusional distortions-now including of what "reporting" means & even of what others say-& nonsensical diagnoses, combined with continual avoidance of substance while acting like the victim-pretty intolerable.

For the greater good I had stopped responding & discussed the thread a topic re: Moore on the other thread & many others-guess I'll have to ignore provocations & endlessly repeated falsehoods...For the record stating events & actions that stick to what transpired are not derogatory, but valid points are continually ignored & nobody else cares, so me not actually being the abusive one does not mean my posts still might not alienate others...
    While regularly offering olive branches has been mocked or ignored, so I'm done.

So I'll stick to what I did in the Ali vs. Moore thread. Which amounts to again allowing/not needing the "last word".
    Then if fevered harangues continue I will not post here.
    I will handle it privately, with help & the public record as evidence, without violating past strictures about reporting abuse.

Regarding the topic here, I have also been trying to get an opinion on plausibility.
    I keep saying that yes times in short intervals would decline-if folks are going all out.
    But Jeffries never said he was maxing out each time.
    In fact he said he could run those "all day".

Now I think if alive he would say yeah anyone can see I did not mean it literally...
    BUT what if his best times for 100 YARDS was 9.7 or so?
    This thread has some examples of big guys whose best times-translated to 100 meters-have been faster.

They too would need to improve training & shed weight to go their fastest.
    So while it might well all be hyperbole...
    Why is it impossible if other guys built like him, or bigger, can occasionally put up late 10 times or LESS in 100 meters?

Because then if they started running a 1/2 second slower/time left in the tank, then they could do a bunch of 10 meters at what would be the time EQUIVALENCY of what Jeffries did for 100 yards:
    over 11 seconds to ~ 11.5 in all efforts.

Still unknowable if he did that.
    However what is postulated is within the realm of what a gifted natural athlete could do, before specializing.
    Agreed?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  4. META5

Jun 28, 2005
    Agreed, for a finely tuned athlete of good natural sprinting ability.

However, my sceptical mind says unverified tales of being on par with fast American football players, not the quickest, but fast ones, whilst wearing normal clothes and shoes, on an inefficient surface, hand-timed sounds like Aesop fables to me.

I could very well be wrong and concede that I am likely blindly Doubtful Thomas to the potential, but I just happen to think that a world level boxer who is capable of such a feat would have likely been challenged to repeat such feats in front of independent auditors. Surely, word of these feats would have spread like wildfire and there surely would've been a challenge, likely for money, to demonstrate in front of witnesses that weren't part of his circle.

I'm ignorant to press about him, but would think if such a situation happened and he didn't put up or shut up, then his claims would have been publicly rubbished/refuted.

Whilst, I have no doubt that he was a great athletic specimen, this story gets looked at like I look at some of the hyperbole about Marciano's training regimens.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    mcvey likes this.
  5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    His training stories are based on observation fact. Jeffries had a 300 pound heavy bag, and they were filled with sand in his day! Luckily some training clips exist and he looks like a very mobile and agile big man. Even on 100+ year old film he looks more athletic than fighters do 100 years ago, 50 years ago, and heavyweights today. I kid you not.

I agree with your assessment in that blind boasts would have been called out and wagers were often made in those times.

6. META5

Jun 28, 2005
    Noted on the video evidence - I have to say that I haven't cared to look for Jeffries - I think you know my interest in heavyweights starts at Joe Louis and I am admittedly fond of Dempsey's skillset.

Agility and mobility in the ring is somewhat of a misleader as despite Ali's nimbleness, I would struggle to see him, or a Tyson or a Fury be good sprinters over the 100. However, I trust your judgment on what you've seen and concede that he was likely an agile big man that could have been a good decathlete.

Yeah, I'm really convinced that the lack of wagered proof of his boasts/claims means that it's like the time I told my son I beat up Superman.

mcvey and mattdonnellon like this.
  7. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    You bully!

8. META5

Jun 28, 2005
    Caught him staring at the wife - he smiled too hard.

mattdonnellon likes this.
  9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Wow, speculation dolloped atop a tall story told some old jock means Jeffries was a regular Daley Thompson.

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Even if you confine yourself to things backed up by primary sources or photographs, you still have quite a but to work with.

11. Tockah

Tockah Ingo's Bingo Full Member

Mar 12, 2022
    I had not visited this thread in maybe 4 days but I had no doubt this would be the continuing discourse. I'm with you, you don't deserve to be banned Pugg in the slightest.

12. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    There were half a dozen guys in my last gym who looked better and whose feats of strength were worth noting.

13. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Did any of them lift a 510lb steer onto a cart, or toss a 350lb heavy bag round like it was nothing?

These feats are backed up by primary sources.

14. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Desperately pumping for the last (false) words again. Projection of fevered posting and abuse. One only has to read for themselves to see the true evidence. SMH. Now sticking with the subject at hand? Let’s hope so.

15. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Which primary sources?

And yes, from my own damn eyes, I saw a dude in his late 40's farmer's walk a Husafell Stone (aprox 400 pounds) for 30 yards. Another gent in his later 50's benched 527. Would that be good enough?