James Jeffries as an athlete.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Nov 17, 2022.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It is like being in a time warp.

Seamus and Journeyman92 like this.
  2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 A L O H A Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    @Revolver

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    If someone sets Jeffries to music under " Let's do the time warp again " I just might lose it! A little jump to the left.

Pugguy and janitor like this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    A bird told me that Jack Johnson was twice the athlete.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  5. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Please no!

Journeyman92 likes this.
  6. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    James Jeffries was a terrific athlete for his day and possibly even ahead of his time

7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Tales of Jeffries athletic prowess are difficult to verify in the 21st century, but I think that we have to give some credence to claims that are backed up by primary sources.

That is the highest standard of proof that is possible for that era.

Jeffries performed some eye watering feats of strength, that were witnessed by multiple journalists, and in some case backed up by photographic evidence.

The historical evidence suggests that he was as strong as George Foreman, and might even have been stronger.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    thistle, Entaowed and Journeyman92 like this.
  8. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Everything old is new again except our own good selves. :)

9. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    “Madness takes its toll…….”

10. Sivaro

Sivaro Member banned Full Member

Oct 16, 2022

He most certainly has more exhibition bouts than recorded fights. He most definitely has more expectance than the official record shows.

11. Sivaro

Sivaro Member banned Full Member

Oct 16, 2022

You cannot seriously take that fight as a showcase of his skills.

There was no way he was going to lose 100 pounds, 6 + years out of the ring and jump in against the champion and have any chance at all. His camp was trash, and Ketchel said he had no chance whatsoever to beat Johnson at that stage of his life.

Prime for Prime he > than Johnson.

12. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Not to down the thread but in the overall scheme, I think there’s some measure of hyperbole attached to the feats claimed for Big Jeff.

At the very least, his physique was far better than the average bears of the day and it did imply decent strength.

There’s been some contention re Jeffries’ true height - with Jeff appearing shorter than Corbett in most photos but not all. Corbett can be seen assisting Jeff back to his corner after the Johnson KO - they appear pretty even and it has to be remembered Corbett is wearing street shoes with heel.

Anyway, this is one photo in which Jeffries stands taller in the frame of reference - though Corbett is standing on somewhat lower ground.

Generally Jeff’s posture wasn’t that great - while Corbett always stood ramrod straight. Jeff looks to be at least standing fairly straight in this photo:-

https://www.josportsinc.com/product...real-photo-postcard-1910-training-for-johnson

Without my agreeing or not, members might also find this article interesting:-

Jeffries scorn for modern boxers:-

https://www.newspapers.com/image/53...9.4Fi1HIvx5airsXDtzvcs7mvCcaJ7wGo-vE_-FibtzBQ

The Senator likes this.
  13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    You have misconstrued my post.I'm talking about the stamina issue.
    Jeffries went 20rds 3 times 25 rounds once and 23 rounds,once.

Johnson went 20rds11 times, 26rds at the age of 37and was in front after 20 rds, and 15 rds at the age of 48.

Comparing skillsets prime for prime. I think Johnson had more skills than Jeffries.
    Jeffries had a lot less fights than Johnson,had him nose broken 3 times ,had scar tissue above and under both eyes and a cauliflower ear when he retired.Johnson was unmarked when he retired and he fought into his late 40's

Jeffries came back after 6 years and had begun training 18 months before their fight,he also lost about70lbs not 100lbs.

Ketchel was thrown out of Jeffries camp,Jeffries had him manhandled out by the wrestler Farmer Burns."you've been over there, talking with that ******,I dont want you in my camp!"
    Hardly the foundation for an objective appraisal of his chances!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Pugguy likes this.
  14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Jeffries was measured in a Doctor's surgery at an even six feet.

Pugguy likes this.
  15. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Kicking an 8 foot ceiling does not mean he could jump 7 feet! As for his 100 yards, the Olympic event was 110 yards approx, won in 1900 at 11 seconds and first won in 1896 by a man with an 11.2 PB, (not timed by his mates or related in a story told by himself!) That said, exaggeration aside, he was apparently an excellent athlete for the time.

Cecil, Pugguy, Seamus and 1 other person like this.