James Jeffries v Roy Jones, Jr.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Sep 28, 2019.

James Jeffries v Roy Jones, Jr.

1. Jones by Dec.

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Jones by KO

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Jeffries by Dec.

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Jeffires by KO

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Just vote your head and not your heart and shut up.

15 rounds.

1950's rules.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Jones UD12.

Sting like a bean likes this.
  4. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I favor Jeffries via stoppage in the championship rounds. Jeffries would win the rematch much more decisively

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  5. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Its 15 rounds bud

KeedCubano likes this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Shhhh

7. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Jeffries, Jeffries, Jeffries! Roy feints and feints but Jeffries won't fall for it. Jeffries proves to be too strong and too intelligent for Roy. Roy isn't able to set any of his traps because for the first time, Roy is in the ring with another supreme athlete. A man who wrestled hogs at the tender age of 5, drove railroad spikes at the age of 8, mauled a brown bear at the age of 13, finished 4th at the 1893 Kentucky Derby. Jeffries keeps pawing the air without throwing a significant punch. Roy is bamboozled. Jeffries swiftly closes the distance and throws a 1-2-3-2-1-1-2, steps to his right, delivers a mean left hook to the body and follows up with a right hand that catches Roy behind the ear. Roy falls face first to the canvas and he's out cold. Jeffries celebrates by climbing the turnbuckles and saluting the white folks in the crowd. Roy lays unconscious as Tarver uses kosher salt to revive him.

8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I would actually favor jones at 175. He makes jeff look stupid. It would look like a professional gamer going against a guy who just bought the game and doesnt know all the moves.

9. Greb & Papke 707

Greb & Papke 707 Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Hmm, tough one, Roy was fantastic, but a prime Jeffries was too big, to strong, to durable, Jeff would lose the opening rounds pretty badly but I think he stops Roy before the distance imo

10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Would go the distance, at 15 I'll say Jones the winner.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It comes down to whether you think that a win over John Ruiz, is sufficient to make somebody favorite over a dominant champion from an earlier era.

To me this seems a highly speculative premise at best.

To favor Jones requires a massive assumption of the superiority of his era over Jeffries, and such an assumption would require extraordinary evidence to back it up.

In the absence of such evidence, I don't see any choice but to install Jeffries as favorite.

RockyJim likes this.
  12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Except that Jeffries "best opponents" were no bigger than Jones or much of his competition, so Jones was largely fighting in what would qualify as a heavyweight field as defined by actual early 1900's standards, especially considering weigh-in vs. fight night weights in the modern era.

13. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    The title sounds funny at first, but the more I think about it, the much better chances Jones has. That Fitzs and Sharkey bouts were not good looks. Jones can easily replicate what they did.

Even if Jones lost a KO, he would still be embarrassing Jefferies for most of the stretch IMO.

14. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I do not know about this particular matchup but I do feel Roy is overratd as a heavyweight. He only had 1 fight there in Ruiz and picked the right guy to do it.

In my opinion, Roy would not have done weill as a heavyweight with his chin and size disadvantage. I think Roy himself knew that and that is why he moved backed to light heavy

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't see this as being particularly relevant.

Whatever the size of Jeffries opponents, they were the contenders because they beat the best men in an unlimited weight class.

They were not light heavyweights who only had to fight other light heavyweights.

Jeffries himself was obviously much bigger than the guys that Jones was facing, outside of Ruiz.

I also don't think that Jones beat the best or brightest at light heavyweight in his own era.