James Jeffries vs Deontay Wilder

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by 70sFan865, Jun 15, 2020.

Who would have won?

1. James J. Jeffries

38.3%
  2. Deontay Wilder

61.7%
  1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I would pick Axel Schulz to kick the crap out of Jeffries such is the difference in skill.

TBI and bcr like this.
  2. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    It couldn’t have felt good typing that.

TBI likes this.
  3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    It would be dishonest to have typed anything to the contrary.

4. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    It's a boxing match so there's no kicking.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Levinsky engaged in no decision bouts which effectively meant unless he was kod his title was safe.Poor champion.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Jeffries was a never stopped in his prime so we know he was durable but he was never hit by a modern heavyweight with the power of Wilder.The two hardest punchers he remained erect against were probably Fitzsimmons and Choynski. Fitz was a light heavy at best, and Choynski, whom Jeffries said hit him harder than anyone, a super middleweight.I believe therefore there is a legitimate question mark about Jeffries ability to weather Wilder's right hand,a punch that judging from the Ruhlin footage he looks very open to.
    The best big man Jeffries faced and beat was Ruhlin 6'2"199lbs who definitely underperformed.
    I certainly do not rule out Jeffries chances here, I don't think much of Wilder skill wise, but he has proven he can take out modern heavyweights with one shot. Jeffries seldom did that,even against the smaller guys he was facing ,he generally wore them down, shipping quite a bit of facial punishment along the way.
    Silly talk of Wilder having a glass jaw should be tempered by the realization of which poster claims it,and dismissed out of hand,as palpable nonsense.

7. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    I like it. I respect your feedback and you make good points. Wilder limited and I dont see him doing well against the field of ATG's either.

I agree Jeff is a big strong athletic guy, but there are so many countless examples of guys who fit that bill who just dont have the skill to compete against the best of the best. They get destroyed. They look good against certain opposition until they don't.

Here we're talking about Wilder, who isnt among the best of the best, but in my opinion is still way beyond Jeff in terms of ability.

8. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    You underlined, but before that I said "usually not". It is true. Usually is the operative word. It isnt the rule, but isn't the exception either.

9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Bottom line, if you were any good predicting out the outcome of fights, from how fighters look on film, you wouldn't be working for a living!

10. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    That was my point.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I realize that, but a recent thread asked if Levinsky was an atg light heavy.

12. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Not at HW, weights were usually estimates or simply given by fighers. Don't act like you are an expert on era you don't know much about.

It's unclear how much Fitzsimmons weighed late in his career because he was known for understating his weight to make himself look smaller than he was in real life.
    He didn't fought them because he prefered fighting Marlon Hayes, 40 years old middleweight who did nothing in pro sports in years.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  13. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    6'7 270 lbs Fitzsimmons wouldn't struggle with fighters Fury did. Fury isn't as great boxer as some claim and his whole argument of greatness after the break are his wins against Wilder. He looked underwhelming against weak competition between Wildee fights.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He isn't a great boxer but he is a nightmare for just about anyone and that includes AJ.
    ps 6 feet 9in.

15. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Yeah a typo regarding his height, he's 6'9. I agree that he's very tough to beat due to his decent skills, good timing and huge size but he's not unbeatable. Bottom line is that Wilder lost to him two times, so it doesn't matter here because Jeffries at least beat his best opponent.