James Pipps vs Carmelo Negron

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by greynotsoold, Mar 26, 2020.

1. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Has anyone else seen this fight? It was the main event on the card with Holyfield's 7th pro fight. I read about it in the back of Ring magazine, in the results section. The fight was a draw, yet both men were given 60 day medical suspensions.
    Years later I bought a copy of the fight and it was a tremendous fight, a real war. Unfortunately I no longer have that video and I would like to see that fight again. I've been unable to find it online though, admittedly, I am not very good at online research.
    Have any of you seen this fight, or do you recall reading about it?

2. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    WAR

I saw it on SIN shortly after it happened Negron was stopped on cuts, I think.

Edit: Boxrec says Pipps won a SD.

SIN was like Telemundo. It showed tons to quality fights in the lower weight divisions, predominantly.

I also read about it in Ring Magazine

Ring printed stories from rovng reporters who reported from ringside.

Some at the time were Jack Welsh, Jack Obermayer and JJ Jowett.

These dudes would joke about driving hours to see a clubfight, drinking too much and taking advantage of free Hotel buffets. Sounded like a dream job to me at the time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    greynotsoold likes this.
  3. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Grey, I remember both fighters well. I thought Pipps was really going to be something until he got stopped by Gaby Canizales. And Negron was really nearing a title shot against Sergio Palma when he went off the boil. I never knew these two fought. Sounds like a great matchup as well. Sorry I couldn't help on this.

greynotsoold likes this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm pretty sure Pipps featured in one of the "Tomorrow's Champions" articles in the early 80's.

greynotsoold likes this.
  5. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I believe he appeared in an "introducing" article in international Boxing in 1983-5.

The "Tomorrow's Champions " feature was in 1981 and included a slew of Main Events promoted fighters.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    greynotsoold likes this.
  6. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I remember reading about Pipps but I think that this fight is the only time that I saw him fight. Negron I saw in other bouts, I am almost certain.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Ahhhh i reckon you are spot on mate great stuff. I'd forgotten about those articles.

8. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Pipps was never Tomorrow's Champions. Good fighter though.

greynotsoold likes this.
  9. Brittney pipps

Brittney pipps New Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2023
    Where you "tomorrow's champion".....didn't think so