James Toney At Heavyweight - Where Does He Rate?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, May 21, 2023.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    So what's thoughts on heavyweight Toney.
    Blown up middle, how did he actually do as well as he did at Heavyweight!?
    Was it the division at the time that bad.
    Or would J have done pretty much good in any era?
    He's an enigma to me.

2. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    He doesn’t. Title win turned to a No-Contest. A lot of trash talking and his best win against a finished Holyfield. He’s tough for anyone but certainly didn’t do anything to gain a rating of any type.

Reinhardt, mr. magoo and Man_Machine like this.
  3. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I can't see how Toney warrants a rating at Heavyweight. His meaningful credentials in the division are exceedingly slim.
    A shot Holyfield; failed drug tests and controversial results - Good for some press coverage at the time but not a record of acclaim.

JohnThomas1 and Smokin Bert like this.
  4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Nowhere.

He never ranked higher than 3 or 4, enormously impressive for a former middle but nothing special about it really, he'd probably be in the bottom half of the bottom half of number four ranked HWs all time, and there have been hundreds of those.

5. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    He was a decent contender. That's about it.

Barm and thistle like this.
  6. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Nowhere, because he's not a HW, now his contests at the weight, win or lose, only add to his overall credibility at his own weight.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  7. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Not very high. He was a blown-up middleweight after all. I can see someone like Galento beating him.

thistle likes this.
  8. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Brilliant insight. Whatever he does at Heavyweight makes him a better Middleweight. Sort of puts him into perspective. Never totally dominated any of his weight divisions but has an overall aura of invincibility. Good boxer but no way rated from 175 or above. Even Middleweight and Super Middleweight he has a lot of competition for ATG and HOF status.

thistle likes this.
  9. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    There were a few short eras where Light Out would have been competitive. The pre-Joe Louis 1930s and the era between James Jeffries and Jack Johnson come to mind. As far as where he ranks, I think I will defer to the legendary McGrain who simply said, "Nowhere".

Hotep Kemba likes this.
  10. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Whole load of no nothings in this thread- Big James was P4P one of highest ranking guys to fight at HW. This is a fact.

11. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    yes, glad you see it for what it is, it proves he is even better than some people might credit him with, because he was Not, nor Ever should be thought of as anything more than the MW/S-MW that he was...

I disagree though with he has 'a lot' of competition, as though he 'may' not be an ATG, to me there is no such thing as 'Title based achievement' ratings, as though fighters aren't great without them... there are thousands of Great Fighters who never 'achieved' Title Status...

but for those who did, as Toney did too, with or without these titles, James Toney has Proved himself every inch a Great/ATG Fighter, among his equally great peers.

12. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    He rates as one of the greatest consumers of donuts in heavyweight history. And one of the least disciplined.

It may not be the best legacy, but it’s a legacy nonetheless.

13. Themessiah

Themessiah El Jefe Full Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Obviously wasn’t his best weight class, but it’s impressive how a blown up middleweight was able to absorb punches from Heavyweights

thistle likes this.
  14. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    He doesn't

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    James was not a heavweight.James was a pound for pound fighter