Jamie McDonnell last fight at bantamweight.....

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Bensub, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Dave Coldwell announced today McDonnell 100% moving up after taking care of solis.

Talks of super bantamweight or even featherweight chasing the big domestic fights in Quigg, selby, Frampton??

Anyone see if winning another world title at the other weights??

As a side note Odds are Paul Butler will fight for the vacant title McDonnell leaves behind??

2. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Butler needs to stay no heavier than bantam....lighter if he can make it. His performances are Bing compromised by fighting much bigger guys. His punches have no effect against there bigger guys like tete and hall. Butler is like Rigo ...small and frail looking. He is not big enough or rugged enough to be messing with bigger, Huskier guys.

im sparticus likes this.
  3. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Moving up after he takes care of? He lost the last one and got an absolute gift.

4. Unpopular

Unpopular New Member banned Full Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I was thinking Hearn was gonna make Mcdonnell vs Burnett

5. Unpopular

Unpopular New Member banned Full Member

Oct 31, 2017
    big deal , most people thought he lost correct. But Mcdonnell apart from that fight has been immense, one of the best Uk fighters in recent times.

Furey likes this.
  6. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I like McDonnell as a bloke and he's a good pro but very boring as a fighter. Not too interested in seeing him box but will watch of course. Moving up in weight he'll obviously lose his size advantages to an extent (will still be tangier than most obviously). He already doesn't have great power for his weight. Probably not too healthy being 5'10" and cutting to such a low weight for so long so good that he's moving up.

7. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    McDonnell is a solid boxer, but his size and reach are a big part of his game. As he moves up, although he will still be big for the weight, it will be less of a factor. He is talking about domestic fights with the likes of Frampton, Quigg and Selby, he would get bashed up imo.

8. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    At least his fighting Solis again bet hearn after getting him that gift didn't want it

9. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    I think he was forced to rematch solis. Neither McDonnell, coldwell or Hearn had the Decency to acknowledge the robbery at the time. The post fight interviews were a study in denial and hypocracy. Solis is too old and too small though and probably will lose legit this time.

N17 likes this.
  10. STEPHEN1990

Aug 22, 2017
    I know it's a shame he really boxed out of his skin its like when every former champion has one good fight left that was probably his Solis will probably not do much and lose a Ud I hope not was shocking the scores I mean how many fighters have been robbed on matchroom cards

11. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    I was particularly disgusted with coldwell. He comes across as mr FairPlay when he is doing punditry....yet when he has a dog in the fight he was quite willing to accept a complete robbery of a foreign visitor, Solis when his guy McDonnell was involved. Shameful.

12. STEPHEN1990

Aug 22, 2017
    That's the reason why his always on matchroom shows all trash that flip the script when it suits I mean look at Bellew it didn't take him long to become a member of the hearn and matchroom mafia did it

13. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    We can only hope that McDonnell has stayed too long at the weight, and it catches up to him. He just might get caught out by being weight drained. Slim hope though. He prob just didn't train hard enough for solis the first time and will be ready for him this time.

14. STEPHEN1990

Aug 22, 2017
    I hope Solis wins they can't rob the poor man a 2nd time

lencoreastside likes this.
  15. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    If there is any justice in the world Solis wins Saturday.. sadly the world doesn't work like that.

I'll be rooting for Solis, never liked McDonnell or his brother, they have faces and voices that irritate me.

Probably lovely people and really down to earth but that's how I feel.