Jeffries or Fitzsimmons?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by robert ungurean, Jun 27, 2007.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007

Did you ever hear the story about Sugar throwing that fight? Probably a story exsists for many massive pre70's, curious none the less.

I suppose it depends upon which account you beleive, post fight, regarding whether or not it is even possible.

2. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    :huh:huh where did you read that from?

3. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Ah, get ready to be annoyed.

It was in one of the Charley Burley books. But I can't remember which one.

There's more.

Story goes - and it is just a story i think - that Ray doublecrossed some Harlem noteables in the Maxim fight. He later threw a couple - big fights - to re-ingratiate himself with said notables.

Anyway, probably not - but Sugar was a businees fighter. Probably just carried guys though.

4. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    jake lamotta must know the truth.

5. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007

Very well said.

6. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    well, they were really closed-friends:good

7. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Well He is not getting points for failing to left the title. Maxim also was not fighting the same way either, less agressive than he normal does(See his fights with Moore and others) It seems he was content with letting the heat do his work in that fight. condtions and all that.
    Besides, IF Robinson did win the fight, win or lose he was not going to be faceing Rocky Marciano anyway. Not with him tearing up the divsion in the fashion the Rock was doing any way. Not many middleweights would have wanted a fight with Marciano. Not with the way the Rock hit. Robinson made a joke, I think it was the around the time of one of the Olson fights, were the promoter was saying to Robinson, if you beat Olson, I could match you up with Marciano. Which Robinson replie, how about I beat Olson and HE fights Marciano. :lol: Unlike todays posters ete. Robinson and crew knew the Rock was the real deal and not the wimp they like to protray.

8. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Love them both.
    Jeff was just a great fast tough all around athlete. Bob was maybe pd f pd the greatest fighter and hitter ever. Like reading books on Jeffries more than any. Three great books on him.

robert ungurean and louis54 like this.
  9. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    This