Jerry Quarry in today's cruiser division: Does he unify?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jul 20, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    And if he does....would he likely stay there or consider a move up north?

2. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Well the top two crusierweight have just left the weight class Usyk and Gassiev so yeah I'd favour Quarry against the guys who are still there.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It would depend upon the politics.

If there was another super six tournament then he might well be the last one standing.

Cruiserweigths who unify, usually do end up moving north at some point.

I guess it is easy to get bored as the undisputed cruiserweigth champion!

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  4. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    No, he fought in what was essentially a 200 pound and less tournament in the 1960s for the heavyweight championship and he finished second. In that tournament, 5 of 8 contestants were less than 200 pounds WITHOUT cutting weight. The others, could easily make 200 with a small weight cut. One of them was listed at 6'6" but weighed less than 200 when he was 27 years old. There was only one fighter in the tournament listed over 6'1" so Quarry wasn't fighting big Cruiserweights.

Today, Quarry would be dwarfed by Cruisers like Usyk, Hunter, and Gassiev, and over powered by others such as Aleksei Egorov.
    If Quarry did get on a "hot streak" and win a tournament, his inconsistency wouldn't allow him to stay on top.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta and Seamus like this.
  5. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Quarry would easily become the unified Cruiserweight champion today. But, that said with Quarry being as popular as he was I doubt Quarry would ever fight in the cruiserweight division, since it isn’t a very popular division and doesn’t offer much when it comes to money.

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Quarry was a very good operator but the cruiser division has been stellar recently. He would be in the mix but not dominant.

7. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Followed Quarry beginning to end. I always said Jerry small for heavy .HE USYK wow what a wae. People forget he handed Lyle,MAC foster first loss.JERRY alwys up ther also KOD Miteff,top ranked Thad SPENCER BEAT Patterso too

8. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Quarry if he could keep his head on straight, would absolutely dominate today's Cruiserweights, and more than likely win what eluded him during his own era. A version of the heavyweight championship with so many different belts.

9. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    I loved Quarry and he had power and a solid chin and he did well against the Big slow Behemoths of his day - Spenscer -Mathias- Lyle-Mac Foster- etc. even Shavers who was about6 ft 1/2 inches and abouit 208lbs of killer power. Quarry would still be trouble for some of the giants today but the Cruiserweight division is very thick at the top and talented- Quarry would fight anyone but I am not so sure he would be able to beat evryone- in fact I am very impressed with the quality of the top 5 - some who may move up and do well soon.

10. KeedCubano

KeedCubano Read my posts in a Jamaican accent Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    I'll include Usyk and Gassiev here for this

So no. Cruiserweight is excellent right now and has been for a few years, the 2nd best division imo after LHW. The top 11 CWs at the end of 2018 by Ring magazine

Oleksandr Usyk, Champion

1. Mairis Briedis
    2. Murat Gassiev
    3. Yunier Dorticos
    4. Krzysztof Glowacki
    5. Denis Lebedev
    6. Andrew Tabiti
    7. Maksim Vlasov
    8. Kevin Lerena
    9. Ilunga Makabu
    10. Arsen Goulamirian
    To me he definitely loses to Usyk, Breidis, Gassiev and Dorticos. He'd have 50-50s with an old Lebedev and Glowacki.
    He'd beat Tabiti, Bellew (I know he's not there), Makabu, Goulamirian, Vlasov and Lerena. That probably puts him at about 5, so no he does not unify