Jerry Quarry vs. Bob Foster: Who wins?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SerbianLoudmouth, Jul 20, 2020.

1. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Quarry clocks him with more authority than Terrell and almost as much as Frazier. Foster loses to every heavyweight he fights, yet he beats a sharp, vindictive, revenge minded Jerry Quarry, who whipped Buster Mathis, Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers (who he didn't even remember getting hit by)??????

Clinton and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    When you have a fast-and-serious cutter like Jerry it is never easy to predict.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  3. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Sorry, just one of my quirks. I really do think it unreasonable to think that Foster could win, since he lost to five heavyweights, 4 of them not even good losing efforts. On the other hand, I can't see Quarry beating Foster either. That's my problem, I can't see either man beating the other.

4. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    When you watch Jerry cutting down tall Heavyweights who can punch, the outcome of a fight against a tall Light Heavyweight gets a lot easier to predict.

5. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Remember, anything can happen in boxing. I mean, Ali-Quarry I was a superfight that theoretically should have been one of the best if not the best heavyweight fight of 1970, but it wasn't. It was a fight that was so brief, it did not have time to build up, and Ali won by an easy third-round UD. Ali did not win that fight with power at all, just a jab, and Foster had a very good jab himself.

6. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    I admire your tenacity, (And name, I take it you're not the 60's Blonde Bomber ?), but The Sherriff ain't Ali. I'm a big fan of Bob as a Light Heavy but he's made to measure for Quarry.
    Heck, if Bob stood a chance they would have gone all out to make the fight.

7. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Idk, this is just a fight I can't see happening at any point, and that's maybe why I've never thought about it much. It doesn't seem like a great matchup to me.

8. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I would make Quarry a heavy favorite here

9. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    You could be right mate. Maybe the powers that be didn't feel they could sell it but looking at Quarry v Thad Spencer and Mac Foster I really can't see skinny Bob having a shot.

10. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    You might be right as well. Foster, as you know only fought a select few heavyweights, and I would think he would prefer to face someone much safer, but still dangerous, someone that he could likely beat and it would still be impressive, like say Mac Foster. That's not all that unlikely for Foster to win that level of opposition. On the other hand, if Foster had fought a few more heavyweights in the 60s and 70s, I would have rather it be these:

60s:
    Patterson
    Liston
    Williams
    Folley
    Machen

70s:
    Ellis
    Norton
    Foreman
    Shavers
    Lyle

11. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I like this pick. It's not like Quarry did much better against the common heavyweight opponents they faced. Ali fought Foster and Quarry and stopped Quarry quicker (TWICE).

A Foster win via cuts seems totally plausible. If Eddie Machen and Tony Alongi and Floyd Patterson could fight Quarry on even terms, so could Bob Foster.

Quarry was barely 200 pounds, if that. Usually fought in the 190s. When Bob fought at heavy, he weighed in the 180s. Roughly 10 pounds between them. Bob had the height and reach.

The fight is a toss-up. Quarry could stop Bob. Foster could cut up and TKO Quarry.

Pat M likes this.
  12. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    I wouldn't have been rushing into a fight with Floyd Patterson in the 60's. Take a glance at his run after the first Ali fight.
    Foreman and Lyle would have been two to avoid in the 70's. No way would they have even noticed Bob's punches plus they were thunderous bangers themselves. Think of what Frazier did to Bob. With Foreman in particular the power goes up to 11!

13. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Think of what Frazier did to Quarry.

In the rematch, by the fifth round, people were screaming at Joe Louis to stop the fight.

Except for the first round in fight one, Frazier won every round in both fights.

William Walker likes this.
  14. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Bump!

15. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    For me a no contest , Jerry walks him down, then KOs him .

LoadedGlove and PhillyPhan69 like this.