Jerry Quarry vs Ingo's Bingo

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Feb 3, 2020.

1. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    You could be right about the result but Ingo didn't usually go out to blast anyone out. He was cagey,pawing with the jab, eithering countering or setting up the big right. If Quarry went into his counter-punching mode it might be boring but I'd fancy him. If Quarry went the aggressive route, Ingo stops him.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I seem to recall, didn't Ingo go a little right hand crazy in the Patterson rematch? Perhaps thinking all he had to do was land his toonder right and Floyd would fall to bits.

3. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I think you might be correct but it wasn't his usual modus operandus.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I like Johansen's chances a lot better than most here.

Johansen at his best, seems to be operating on a slightly higher level than Quarry!

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Ingo had had 28 fights &173 rds his big fights were Floyd x3 Machen , Cooper.=5

Quarry 58 and 374rds.
    Big fights
    Floyd x2Ali x2 Frazier,Foster,Lyle,Ellis,Shavers,Chuvalo,Mathis,Spencer.=12
    Spot the difference?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Who fought the most ranked fighters?

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Undoubtedly Quarry, but Johansen got better results against them, and in many cases against the same fighters.

8. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    Johansson would have lost to all three, and Quarry was not in his prime ve Ellis, try a 1970 Quarry ! goodness, he was 22 when he fought Ellis. INGEMAR COULD NOT EVEN BEAT BRIAN LONDON, SAVED BY THE BELL.

Johnasson did not take a good enough punch to ever beat a Quarry, Jerry beat 9 world ranked fighter's and ko'd 5 of them , 2 were ranked number 1 at the time.
    Ingemar would have his hands full with 1973 version of Quarry.

LoadedGlove and mcvey like this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    My point which was blindingly obvious is that Quarry had a hell of a lot more mileage on his clock when he fought Alexander than Ingo had when he fought London.
    What was wrong with Ingo for him not to be at his best? He was lighter than he had been for his last two fights, both of which he had won,and lighter than he had been for the third Patterson fight.
    Apart from the fact that he was floored in the last round by London .and was out of it when he rose what exactly was wrong with him?
    So poorly was London thought of that the authorities refused to consider it a title fight, although Ingo was the reigning Euro champion.
    The final bell saved Johansson from a ko defeat.
    "The round bout, billed as another step in Ingemar Johansson's march to a return shot at the heavyweight title, ended with Johansson staggering to his feet, his eyes glassy and his arms hanging at his side. Johansson, 200, apparently had the better of the dull fight until the final minute. He concentrated on his left jab to pile up points, and never landed his famous right hand. Brian London, 206, carried the fight but he could not land a solid punch until the final seconds when he stunned Johansson with a left and crashed him to the canvas with the right. The count had reached four and Johansson had just lurched to his feet when the bell rang. Referee Andrew Smythe of Ireland, the sole judge, awarded the fight to Johansson." -Associated Press

Although Johansson was the European heavyweight champion, this bout was non-title and scheduled for 12 rounds due to the EBU deeming London an unfit challenger for the European title."

Post fight comments:

• "I would have stopped the fight if the bell had not saved Johansson. He could not have continued." -Referee Andrew Smythe
    Now explain to me how that resembles Quarry getting knocked down in the opening round , getting up continuing and bombing out Alexander in the very next round!

10. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Anyone could have been floored by Brian London.

11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I can definitely see the argument for thst but I also can see the argument for saying that Quarry operated on a higher level.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I wouldnt call him a puncher.

13. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Well what I meant was that if a 190-205 pound heavyweight catches anyone in the right way at the right time, they could hypothetically drop anyone.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Hypothetically ,but London wasn't known for power.

15. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Jerry Quarry kayoed Earnie Shavers in round 1, in 1973.