Jerry Quarry vs Ingo's Bingo

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    However, Anyone wasn't floored by him. Ingo was.

I typically feel that Quarry is overrated and Ingo underrated. However, styles here make me pick Jerry.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Aside from the normal tit for tat on here that comes with picking people's résumés apart, I've made my pick for this one.

I like Ingo to catch Quarry on the way in, Jerry has a respectable chin, bit not better than Quarry. That right lines Jerry up and knocks him down. Quarry's obviously gonna be able to get inside and make an awesome fight out of this one but I think Ingo's precision and power stop Jerry in 5. Cuts or an actual stoppage. Good fight.

And one slight on the résumé, Ingo proved with a shadow of a doubt that he could beat someone as good as Quarry, Quarry showed he could beat very good fighters, some of which are debatably as good Ingo, but not for sure. That should be enough, résumés don't make fights.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    And broke his jaw in the process.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Ingo had a total of 28 fights was 28 years old, and only took punishment in 2 of them,it's not like he was at the end of a long and hard punishing career.Quarry was in loads of wars had over twice that many bouts and over 200 more rounds under his belt.I never said Ingo was still at his best but if he wasnt it was not because of a long tough career was it? Plus Ingo was out on his feet and rescued by the final bell .Quarry got up finished the round and took his opponent out in the next round

Hence I said I could see no correlation between the two knockdowns.

5. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    That was his last fight wasn't it Mac ? He was knocked down right at the end of the fight and was saved by the final bell. Apparently poor old Brian was steaming about it swearing blind he'd been robbed.
    To fair to Johansson, one dimensional though he certainly was, there are some decent names on his record. Henry Cooper, Joe Bygraves, Joe Erskine and, as previously mentioned, Eddie Machen in the first.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta and mcvey like this.
  6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    How many genuine world class men are on his sheet?
    He hit Machen with everything but the referee before stopping him,he hit Floyd with power shots before getting the ko and Patterson was never very durable about the chin.

7. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Oh don't get me wrong, I fancy Quarry in this one and probably early too. I just think it's worth seeing Ingo's career in a bit of perspective. Not you of course but some on here write about him as if he couldn't box kippers !

InMemoryofJakeLamotta and mcvey like this.
  8. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Bob Stallings beat Mac Foster and Earnie Shavers (and lost a decision to Lyle). They weren't a murder's row.

I could see Quarry grinding out a win over Johansson. And I could see Ingo mugging Quarry, like Norton did.

Quarry was around a long time. He notched a couple of name wins. Guys who hover around the top 10 for a long time tend to pick up name wins here and there. But Quarry wasn't generally a dominant fighter. He typically had to work hard to get wins, and, against the top guys, he often didn't get those wins.

Ingo wasn't a grinder. He didn't need to be. He was an Olympian and a world champ. He had a short and very successful career, because he was a classic European boxer who could turn the fight on a dime with that right hand.

The fight would probably hinge on Johansson's conditioning. When he was fit, he was usually dominant. When he wasn't, he could come off as lazy.

9. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Ron Stander knocked out Shavers, too. That stoppage wasn't a typical Quarry fight. He was known as a guy who had to grind out wins, and, against world-class fighters, often his grinding wasn't enough to get the win.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Going solely off annual ratings Quarry beat 4 ranked men.

11. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Quarry counters the rt hand with a hook for the KO

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Ingo's average for rds needed to effect a stoppage is 4.8rds
    Quarry's is 3.5rds

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  13. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    LOL. What a nonsensical stat. Jerry Quarry fought 66 times and scored 32 knockouts. His KO percentage is below 50 percent.

In the majority of his fights, 33 fights, his opponents either went the distance with him or beat him.

So how the hell did you come up with 3.5 rounds? (CHRIST).

Did you just count the fights when he stopped someone? If 10 guys go the distance with me or beat me, and I stop one guy in the first, does that mean it takes me an average of one round to score a KO? (LOL)

You lose.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You said Quarry needed time to get stoppages I took their stoppage wins and came up with an average and Quarry got his wins quicker.Easy to understand really

How many they ko'd is totally irrelevant which you know, or should do, that is dependent on many things, not least the quality of their opposition.Also a huge factor is the length of their careers and again,as everybody knows Quarry fought on for far too long whereas Ingo bailed out with just 28 fights on his sheet .So save the fake indignation and the prima-donna theatrics. We've seen it all before and it doesn't impress!

15. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    That's funny. So you just ignored the majority of Quarry's fights where the opponent went the distance or beat him.

Got it. (Classic)

My point stands. Quarry typically had to grind out wins.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020