Jerry Quarry vs Mike Weaver

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ETM, Dec 6, 2021.

1. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    it was actually a pretty big deal Since Quarry had to meet him in San Diego to spar. Jerry was cut under the chin and had to cancel a fite with Steve "Iceman" Carter I think in Oakland November 1973, Howard "KO" Smith took Quarry's place and won a ten tound decision over the "Iceman" I do not really know who got the best of the sparring? Quarry actually was on like the cover of World Boxing or International Boxing and you can see where he has stiches under his chin, Good thing it did not postpone his DEC 14 1973 bout vs Earnie Shavers (Quarry's last really big win). Quarry had fought his way back in contention and getting a lot of press.

Mike "Hercules" Weaver is a neighbor of JERRY LYNN QUARRY. (Quarry's son)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I favor quarry, perhaps on points. But only narrowly and without much confidence. Weaver proved more than once that he could come from behind late and stop a man. This is a hard fight to call

Sangria likes this.
  3. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    I do not know why Jerry Quarry gets a bad nod on his Punch from Boxing 24, Yet Powder punching Joe Bugner is now the best thing since french bread!!-Quarry could have knocked out Mike Weaver easily, Jerry was a finisher. Mike Weaver made himself a good fighter and a champion, Jerry's arsenal against Number one contender Mac foster, is all you gotta know about his "sock" ( only time Foster was ever ko'd)-and he knocked out two number one contenders during his career, beat 9 ranked contenders and knocked out 5, few champions in any division rarely fight that many contenders during their entire careers!

Only Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers prosperd career wise after a Quarry "Beatdown"
    (And this was after Earnie retired and fired by Don King- after facing Jerry!)

4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I believe Ken Norton had some influence with Mike Weaver training wise.

5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Mike Weaver knocked out John Tate (WBA champion), knocked out Gerrie Coetzee (#1 contender & future WBA champion), drew with Michael Dokes over 15 (when Dokes was WBA champion), decisioned Quick Tillis and Scott Ledoux (when both were top 10 contenders), knocked out Carl Williams (when he was a top 10 contender). Knocked out Bernardo Mercado. It was a short window, but he was very good at his best.

And, according to YOU, Quarry got stopped "on cuts" just sparring with Weaver in 1973. Weaver wasn't even very good yet.

I just don't see Quarry getting past Weaver's jab. And Weaver could crack. Weaver didn't fight a lot of guys smaller than him. Quarry was smaller. Quarry either has to win early or Weaver chops him up or legit flattens and stops him. But Quarry would definitely be dangerous early. The longer it goes, though, it shifts to Weaver.

A true toss-up.

6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I've never seen this fight before, thank you!

Damn, Mike looked GOOD.

Quarry would have been shredded.

George Crowcroft and Dubblechin like this.
  7. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    It wouldn't surprise me if the two had a talk before Mike's fight with Larry. At all.

8. Raj_Patel

Raj_Patel Member banned Full Member

Dec 13, 2021
    Quarry slays him early, or picks him apart late. This is either a replay of Foster-Quarry or Lyle-Quarry, but Weaver can't keep it together like Ron. Inevitably he overcommits and Quarry pounces.

9. Raj_Patel

Dec 13, 2021
    Bwahahaahhaha! Based off a lazy jab scored on LeDoux!?!?!? Hahahahaha!

Watch Quarry vs. Ellis. He has an injured back and he just stays out of range. Ellis was rangier and more skilled than Weaver and he couldn't maximize on Quarry's state.
    Again Lyle Quarry demonstrated a level of Boxing Weaver could never imagine. That jab would have been rendered useless.... then Mike would have abandoned it, allowing Quarry to slay him.

BUDW likes this.
  10. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    jerry by KO a much better fighter

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  11. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    This actually lightened up my whole day.

12. Raj_Patel

Dec 13, 2021
    It was hyperbole. But are you really impressed with Weaver's jab that you think his pieces up the Quarry that out-boxed Lyle? Why didn't Weaver continue to use it if it found him so much success?

BUDW likes this.
  13. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Well, he won and held the title longer than quite a few people since. His wins against Tate, Williams, Dokes, and Coetzee were more than impressive. Even his losses to Holmes and Thomas had VERY impressive moments.

Weaver had a really good jab, watch the Thomas fight. He also had Tyson-level power, he just had a bizarre habit of zoning out during important fights...it was really off-putting and inexplicable. He could have held the title longer if not for this truly strange wandering concentration.

14. Raj_Patel

Dec 13, 2021
    Fighters noted for their inconsistency. Which one of them would you have us believe was at his best when meeting Weaver?

Weaver had great power, but no one compares him to Shavers. And I highly doubt he hit as hard as Foster, Spencer, or Lyle. He didn't have the volume and pressure of Frazier.

Mathis was a much better boxer than Weaver, and again there's no footage of Weaver that suggests he'd be able to pin down the Quarry that handled Lyle.

Like you say, Weaver had a tendency to zone out. Quarry would capitalize on that.

15. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Weaver could be a little lackadaisical at times. He was a slow starter also. I like Quarry's activity for a dec win.
    Weavers gives him trouble late in the fight, but Quarry would be able to hang on for the win.
    But Weaver could Ko a fighter in the latter rds.
    ( Just ask John Tate) so it wouldn't be wise for Quarry to lose focus until the final bell sounded.