Jerry Quarry vs. Oscar Bonavena

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Hookie, Aug 16, 2013.

1. LXEX55

LXEX55 Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Just as a side note: Gil Clancy said that when preparing for the second Frazier fight, the plan was for Quarry to outbox Joe like he did Lyle. All of Jerry's sparring revolved around moving away from the left hook and countering. Clancy said the very first good shot Quarry got hit with, he forgot all about the plan and tried to slug with Joe.

2. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Let's not forget that Oscar was decked twice by Ellis, and often on the run against a Ellis as well.

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Who got counted out and who didn't?

4. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Let's not forget that Oscar took a prime frazier 15 rounds and gave him a good fight.. Quarry was torn to pieces in 5...

5. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Let's not forget that Oscar lost to Floyd in Patterson's next-to-last fight, and that Lyle also beat Oscar. What prime contenders did Oscar beat? None, unless you want to count Chuvalo. Quarry beat Spencer (rated # 1) Mac Foster (24 and 0), Mathis, Shavers in one, and Lyle, who was undefeated at the time. Quarry was better.

6. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Let's not forget that Oscar beat chuvalo who knocked quarry out.. Let's also not forget that quarry's wins over an aged Patterson were robberies.. And I think we'd be remiss in leaving out the fact that Lyke was more experienced when he met bonavena than he was against Quarry. Oscar beat Karl Mildenberger in the 1967 heavyweight elimination tourney suggesting he was ranked. He beat leotis Martin, Alvin Lewis, an aged folley, Larry middleton. He beat plenty of good fighters and lasted longer against common conquerors than Quarry did. Incidentally I already said earlier in this thread that quarry has the better resume . For me it's about styles.

7. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    bonavena stops him just like chuvalo did

8. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    :rofl :rofl idiots like this guy pick like a lotery but he does not know even who is bonavena

9. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    That's a very Jerry story. He and his family were some of his tooughest opponents.

10. Nighttrain

Nov 7, 2011
    The Chuvalo knockut was very odd, I dont give it a ton of weight. An example of him going Jerry.

11. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    WHO YOU TALKING IDIOT, THE MAN VOICED AN OPINION ****HEAD, NOT ANOTHER WEB INSULTER, COWARD , NOT ANOTHER ONE, YU HAVE NOTHING DECENT TO SAY TO ANYBODY STAY OFF, THE POST, YU BEEN TOLD, WHAT HE SAID WAS RIGHT, WHO'D FRANKENSTEIN BEAT, HE SURE WASN'T GETTING IN THERE WITH QUARRY !!! now he's a champ, to me he's the low life who bit the dust in Nevada, after shooting off his mouth, took his mouth to a gunfight

12. LXEX55

Oct 20, 2015
    I do not know the full story here, and I wish I did. But I heard that Al Blue Lewis floored Oscar twice in Buenas Aires before friendly ref saved Oscar and disqualified Lewis. Cannot vouch for the story as I cannot find a first hand account of it. Lewis was a very tough guy and I personally heard Dundee say that he would never let Ellis go near Al. No one, seemed in a rush to fight him, but Ali did beat him in Ireland.

13. LXEX55

Oct 20, 2015
    Lyle fought both and said Oscar hit harder.

14. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    you think Maybe Foreman hit harder than ALI ?

15. Nighttrain

Nov 7, 2011
    some good points:good