Jerry Quarry vs....

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by slender4, Feb 8, 2015.

1. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    The white guys who fought for the title in the Ali championship era.

I came along a little after Jerry's time, but I've seen all his fights, (and just about all of the great heavyweight fights from the 70's and I have to say, I'm not overly impressed.

I think his looks/backstory/charisma have more to do with his enduring popularity than his ability.

He was very good at defeating slow, come-forward bombers who gassed, and his wins against Foster, Lyle and Shavers are impressive. Quarry had a great chin, but matching him against the white guys who fought for the title, or came close, from about '64 to '75, I don't think he comes out well.

How would Quarry have done against:

Mildenberger
    Chuvalo
    Bonavena
    Bugner
    Cooper
    Urtain
    Bobick
    Kirkman
    Vargas
    Wepner
    Etc.

For obvious reasons, I 've eliminated Ali's Euro, PR apperances against guys who couldn't fight like Richard Dunn, no hopers like Dave Zyglewicz, etc. I did add Kirkman and Urtain because they were once excellent prospects, and Goyo Vargas because he was so good against Foreman.

I think of those, Chuvalo beats him more times than not, Bonavena almost all of the time (just a better boxer), Mildenberger has a good shot as a southpaw, as do Wepner and Kirkman with his size, and Bugner with his size and style.

He goes about KO's Cooper just about every time, outboxes Urtain and goes about 50/50 with Vargas.

Bonavena was the best though. Highly underrated, he gave Ali and Frazier fits and would have done the same to Foreman.

Not race baiting here, I just don't see the brilliance in Quarry, yet I've heard people say he was "the greatest cruiserweight ever" and stuff like that.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Do you mean Peralta ?

3. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    Yes! Peralta. I was thinking of Goyo Vargas, the 1990's featherweight instead of Goyo Peralta. There is no remedy for age, lol

4. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Chuvalo did beat him.
    I think Bonavena would probably beat him.
    Mildenberger would be 50-50. As would Bugner, I suppose.
    I don't know about Peralta.

Quarry would batter Wepner, Urtain and Kirkman.

5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    :lol::good

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I would pick Quarry to decision Mildenberger, Chuvalo, Bugner and Peralta. I would pick Jerry to stop Cooper, Urtain, Bobick, Kirkman and Wepner. I would pick Bonavena to decision Quarry in a tough fight. I think Quarry comes out of this very well.

7. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Chuvalo fought Quarry and beat him.

8. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    Yes but his fans raised a whole controversy about him not hearing the count.

9. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, but he was knocked down legitimately, he even got up then decided to go down again or he couldn't stand properly, so he must have been hurt, which would explain how he got confused over the count.

Definitely a legit win for Chuvalo.
    I know Quarry's fans can't accept it, that's common in boxing.

10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I'm aware of this. I'm placing all of these fighters in their absolute 3 fight prime. For Chuvalo it would be the Doug Jones-Cal Butler-Floyd Patterson fights when he was 27. For Quarry it would be the Aaron Eastling-Buster Mathis-Joe Frazier fights when he was 24. Just my opinion on their primes. I try to take out the flukiness of an actual fight and match them properly. It would be unjust to match them otherwise because in their first fight George was 32 and getting his **** kicked when he catches Quarry with a million to one shot. And then you have the nonsense that took place afterwards. Strip all that, put them in their primes and I would pick Quarry by decision in a fabulous fight.

11. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I watched the Chuvalo-Quarry fight again recently.
    Quarry was looking tired near the end and Chuvalo looking strong and attacking the body.
    I didn't see anything "flukey", just one guy getting knocked down and unable to gather himself in time. That's called a knock out.

12. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Chuvalo v Quarry was two guys who typically didn't care much for avoiding punches .... and the stronger, more durable guy won.

13. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    Mildenberger is forgotten, but man did he give Ali a go. Boxing can really "thank" the Eastern Block for southpaws. They existed before, but most trainers turned them around before about the 80's. Ali looked like a 10 fight novice in that fight. so did Klitschko vs. Sanders. I belive that Michael Moorer, put in a time machine, beats Ali or Louis. Sanders would have had a chance although he was a 4-round fighter.

14. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006

'Flukey' is a relative thing open to interpretation. Was Mike Weaver a better fighter than John Tate after getting spanked for 14 1/2 rounds? Likewise James Toney against Michael Nunn? How about the Zarate-Zamora and Bowe-Holyfield fights? Was momentum blown because some nutjob enters the ring or a fan man gets entangled in the ring? You could pick several Jack Sharkey fights. Dempsey, Schmeling I & II. Carnera I & II where flukey events took place. As for Chuvalo-Quarry, the bout did take place and there is no changing that result. If they fought 10 times after that and Quarry won all 10, that is a disservice to George who was 32 and IMO was in danger of having the fight stopped due to his injuries before pulling out a Hail Mary that Quarry obviously could have gotten up from. Flukey. Like I said, I tried to match these fighters in their prime - sans the flukiness - and I came up with Jerry on a decision in an excellent fight.

15. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Chuvalo knocked his dlck in the dirt! Sure, Quarry could have continued but he was dropped and he was hurt... they should have fought again.

Anyway, I'm thinking you might be a racist motherfvcker!