Jersey Joe Walcott vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by richdanahuff, Apr 5, 2015.

1. The Mongoose

The Mongoose I honor my bets banned

Aug 13, 2009
    Walcott will know this is going to be a lose/lose situation if it goes into deep water. Like he did against Marciano, he's going to come out with guns blazing looking for an early knockout.

If Frazier can stand up to the punishment that Rock took early, he stands a good chance of repeating his victory. I lean towards Frazier overcoming a few early knockdowns but there is reason to suspect that Walcott could bomb him out.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    There is certainly a good chance Frazier gets dropped by Walcott and maybe more than once.
    However I see Frazier gradually getting on top with his work rate and pace,late stoppage, or dec as Frazier pulls away down the stretch.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Walcott is a live dog and one of those fighters who's best night was far better than his typical night.

Walcott had a good hook, fast feet, and was smart. He could floor, and possibly hurt Frazier.

Frazier was a one handed ATG, so it is possible that Walcott could contain Frazier's hook, and time him on the way in. Marciano, was a two handed puncher, and IMO a bit more durable than Frazier.

In the end I think Frazier grinds him down and takes him out.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  4. AREA 53

AREA 53 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Joe could certainly be shifty and hard to pin down,... by most.. But a Peak Joe Frazier... Jersey might make him miss Punches 1, 2, and 3.. But with Frazier there is punches 4, 5 and 6 hot on there heels... and Jersey's trying to slide off to the side for a walk will not work here, with Pressure Hooker Frazier Bobbing Weaving snorting and Jinking up close..

Another thing that i can not ignore is that Frazier will have a decent pull in the weights, he is a decent puncher in most cases..but give him a 20lbplus weight advantage and he becomes a very dangerous Hombre indeed, Jersey Joe may sidestep and Lure Frazier onto a big Left Hook but i think Joe might endure a Sleight Rattle..then on he Chugs.. His constant Pressure will rob Jersey of Time to compose and Fraziers substantial pull in weight will of course help him Absorb Jersey's Counters... Once Frazier's warmed to his Task i think he will be the one to Compose and Execute...a Cute Execution.. this might look like a sleightly extended version of the Ellis Fight, But Jersey Joe in a "Boxing" match and he will be a tought nights work... Put him in with a Heavier ..3 Mins a Round Human Panel Beater and i think it would be the S****heap for Jersey.. The Cream might rise to the top ..But Smoking Joe makes it Curdle.. Perhaps Circa 7 or 8 for me.

The Morlocks likes this.
  5. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Seems like I'm in the minority in that I think Walcott gives him all he can handle and could pull off the points victory with a KD or two mixed in. Walcott had a nice half upper cut with the right or left.. which would be perfect against Joe. I agree that Joe's pressure could do him in and eventually he might get broken down by round 10 - 12. I just see it able to go either way more than most it seems. However, if made to pick a winner and it's best for best... I guess Frazier would beat him more times than not.

6. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I agree that Frazier would win but what's with all this... Joe Frazier is much heavier mess?

A prime Walcott was 6' with a 74" reach and just under 200 Lbs. in HW world title fights (he was right around 196 Lbs. vs. Charles, Louis, and Marciano).

A prime Frazier was 5'11 1/2" with a 73" reach and 205 Lbs. (Fight of the Century).

...about 10Lbs

7. AREA 53

Apr 10, 2006
    Hookie - Quite Right, thank you for the kind and Accurate Correction
    I subsequently researched a Few Jersey Joe Reports from the New York Times, for the Ezz Charles fights, JJ was listed as 194lb and 195lb, so as you State an approx 10lbs Advantage to Frazier Still rather noticeable for JJ i suspect (I just cant think where i got the 187lb in my mind from..unless it was a JJ Opponents weight ? )

8. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Likely because Marciano was often at or right around 187, the weight he said he was best at & trained down to was 187-188.

9. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah,ultimately he would. it would have been a surprising great fight until then, however,with Jersey Joe likely to have put the other Joe on the deck early on...after all Walcott was good at putting the "other Joes" on the deck, wasn't he? The pressure would have become increasingly unbearable for Walcott by the 6th round, and it would have been a matter of time after that until a left hook or two would be the coup de grace for the proud, shifty and clever Mr. Walcott. A gallant effort would have been his, but Smokin' Joe would have caught up with him like death and taxes by the 10th with either a ko or a merciful referee after those left hooks (for some reason, i see two left hooks ending it, ala Doug Jones) punctuating victory for the "other Joe" in a classic battle.

The Morlocks likes this.
  10. AREA 53

Apr 10, 2006
    Entaowed - I think you are bang on the money there ! A subsequent throught occuring to me is that Actually a Prime Frazier, for an Aggressor. was not the easy target he might of initially appeared, I remember the still very quick handed Ali Missing quite a bit, Another Slant towards Smoking Joe i feel

Entaowed likes this.
  11. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Frazier grinds him down and stops him somewhere in the second half of the fight.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  12. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Frazier never ever busted up and bled. Ever.Swell yes

13. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I like this

Only Foreman tamed Frazier. Pure thudding power from high up. No one else fought w Georges gifts noone. Frazier is a nightmare for any other heavyweight in history. ​

robert ungurean and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  14. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Walcott was a sharp puncher and could conceivably hurt Frazier, but probably not for long enough to make it count. The longer it goes, the worse it gets for Walcott.

Frazier grinds him down and stops him quicker than Marciano.

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Frazier probably does better than Marciano in the first fight.

Marciano hadn't quite perfected his pressure game then, and it always came naturally to Frazier.