Jim Braddock v. 2017 light heavyweights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Aug 9, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    You are the little boy who was humiliated by Klompton over his Braddock highlights, now if you want to make me your target of the week thats perfectly okay with me.Get Mommy to make you some milk and cookies while you sit there typing cr*p, poncing off your parents.The rain has stopped here time to take my dogs out.

2. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Yeah, you should go outside before you pop a bacne.

3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Zits are for teenagers like yourself. Adults have outgrown them.

4. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I think that at or around 175, Braddock gets schooled by Ward and battered (maybe even stopped) by Stevenson, Kovalev, and Beterbiev. I haven't seen enough Alvarez yet to weigh in on that matchup.

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    0-5 or 1-4 for Jimmy would be the most likely outcome, with 2-3 being a long shot.

All of the above were faster, better boxers, and equal to or better punchers.

Pat M and mrkoolkevin like this.
  6. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I would favor them all over Jim

Pat M and mrkoolkevin like this.
  7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Of course, there is an elephant in the room.

If Jimmy Braddock could give Joe Louis some trouble, how would these five, generally seen as better than Braddock match up with Louis?

I have a theory. If the height and reach are close to even, 20 pounds if not too much to give up, especially if the lighter guy has better foot speed / foot work. So 175 ( 180+ on fight night ) could very well beat 200-205.

However when the weight, reach, and height disparity becomes uneven, these 175 sized guys can't compete as well.

Pat M likes this.
  8. robert ungurean

Jun 9, 2007
    Good point.
    Im for the most part basing this how they look on film. Stevenson looks the least talented including Jimmy. He has that power though. I believe Jim has a pretty good chance against him but it just takes that one shot from Stevenson

9. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Interesting point. We've seen that Louis could be outboxed and even hurt by opponents who were naturally much smaller than him.*

*subject to all of the usual disclaimers and rationalizations

10. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Stevenson also has a deceptively long reach and very good mobility. I think he'd present a worse stylistic matchup than someone like Kovalev.

11. robert ungurean

Jun 9, 2007
    Good point

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Kovalev would be f*cked as soon as Joe closed the range the Russian only throws long punches,he hasnt a clue about fighting inside and his chin is up in the air like a lamppost. Folks have been watching him blow away guys with his power, but not focusing on his style and limitations,now he has been exposed.Louis would crucify him.

13. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Nobody's willing to outright pick Braddock, the former lineal heavyweight champion of the world, conqueror of the mighty Max Baer, over Adonis Stevenson? Sergey Kovalev?

14. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I'd easily pick him over Kovalev. A lineal HW champion who beat Max Baer, knocked down Joe Louis? C'mon.
    I know in some peoples minds Kovalev is hercules compared to Braddock, because you see the definition of his muscles with modern cameras, where old fight film makes Braddock look like an undefined blob.

However Braddock would be too big for Kovalev, too strong, too skilled.

Not sure about Stevenson. We still don't really know the limits of what that maniac is capable of.
    Braddock looks very vulnerable when looking at his record, but he became something different at his peak. These guys would probably beat him when he was a journeyman LHW, but not the HW Champion version.

15. JoffJoff

JoffJoff Regular Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2017
    @reznick - You rate Stevenson over Kovalev? Or did you just mean vs Braddock in particular?