Jim Jefferies vs. Max Schmeling

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Apr 27, 2008.

1. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    20 rounds at heavyweight.

2. abraq

abraq Active Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Schmeling takes the early rounds with his better overall boxing. But he is unable to hurt the rock-chinned Jeffries. As the fight goes on, Jeffries much more bigger and stronger, and determined and persistent, wears down Max for a late stoppage or gets a hard fought but clear decision.

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Although Jeffries had more than enough power to finish Schmeling, I think Max was slightly more proven against better opposition. Jeffries beat some very good fighters, but his best wins came against past prime version of Corbett and Fitzsimmons. Even an inexperienced Joe Louis surely qualifies as being a tad more formidable, and Young Stribling was no cream puff either. Schmeling was also a reasonable size at 6'0", 190, whereas a lot of men Jeffries beat were fairly close to meeting middleweight perameters. I guess the key here, is Scmeling staying away from Jeffries' signature punches and taking advantage of the oppenings as they appear. Jeffries' defense was questionable. He held his left hand down at his side, and had his nose broken some three times in his career.

I can't say for sure who'd win this one, but Schmeling has my vote as the better fighter in most aspects of the game.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Max by ko within2 rds

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Jeffries would win this at his peak.

Schmeling would take a lot of the early rounds and might inflict horible damage but Jeffries would grind him down and take him out.

Dont expect this to look prety.

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Jeffries easy. Schemling had a problem vs punchers

7. bumdujour

bumdujour Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2007
    schmeling by decision. similar to his wins over paulino uzcudun.

8. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Presumably you dont compare Jeffries to Uzcudun?

9. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Jeffries picking up points down the home straight.

I do not agree that he would punch Max out, and never have seen his "trouble with punchers" Mendoza.

You picked that name for the great Jewish barefist fighter?

10. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I dont think he did.

Jeffries should win but he would not look prety afterwards. Schmeling ruined a fair few fighters.

11. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I think Schemling had problems with power punchers for sure.

He was Ko'd in 2 by Gains, and Ko'd in 1 by A journeyman named Gipsy Daniels. Another no-name in Dikemann TKO'd Schmling in 4, though I suppose you could argue that Schemling was green for the Dikemann TKO.

My point is this. You did not have to be Joe Louis or Max Bear to put Schmeling away. He would not be able to take many hooks or body punches from Jeffries.

12. mightyd40

mightyd40 Spartan Full Member

Mar 21, 2007
    jeffries late stoppage after taking a beating in the early rounds

13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Mendoza was one of the first pound for pound scientific fighters. He was also a well writen scribe who authored some of th ebest stuff on early boxing. If you get the chance, read Memoris of Daniel Mandoza.

14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I dont think Max had a problem with punchers,Diekmann stopped him ,and it was a technical stoppage,Max was a big Middleweight then,he later drew with Diekmann and ko him in 1 rd.When Max fought Gains,L arry was vastly more experienced ,than the 20 yeard old German ,Gains had had 30 fights Max was a young LH,The Daniels fight was a case of getting caught cold, it happens.Max had outboxed Daniels two months earlier ,and was tight at the LH limit,its revealing that it took Max Baer 10 rds to stop Schmeling ,Steve Hamas a puincher couldnt do it in21 rds and even at 43 Max still went 10 rds with Neusel ,who could hit a bit.In a recent post you stated what a big hitter Stribling was ,yet he never looked like dropping Schmeling.

15. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Baer did not land much until the round before the knockout, but when he did, it was all she wrote. Same with Joe Louis. Like I said, I was not grading Schemling's durability vs eliete punchers who landed on him. Clearly when Schmeling had to face a real chin checker on film, he could not.

I never saw the Hamas fight. Did Hamas ever land his best? Or did Schemling's skills prevent this from happening? I think the later is likely.

My main point was Schemeling’s chin was suspect to lesser punchers. And it was. Let us keep it real. See the guys who stopped him early. If Schemling were active today, the internet chin police would have been on his case on the way up long before Baer or Louis Ko'd him.