Jim Jeffries as a Mixed Martial Artist

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jun 17, 2007.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    [YT]CauVMvNspIY[/YT]

[YT]Pj2jOpoecfc[/YT]

[YT]QVa0GNDAP8E[/YT]

This content is protected

Jeffries wrestled against world Greco-Roman champion Ernest Roeber, and was heavyweight boxing champion in an era when 'dirty boxing' was fairly routine, and clinch fighting was extensive. Not often do you see a fighter good at both grappling and standup to the degree that Jeffries was.

So, how does he do today in MMA?

2. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    He does very damn well, sort of a HW prime Jens Pulver, or an early Randy Couture, those are the two closest examples I can think of. Pulver for the way he blends boxing with offensive and defesive wrestling, Randy for similar reasons but moreso for his thinking and conditioning.

3. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010
    zombie thread resurected..because i think this is a damn good question

4. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Boxing and wrestling make up a good all rounder. One allows you control, the other allows you to do damage. Mix that with the fact he is well conditioned, old school in his approach, wears small gloves etc I think he'd do as well as you could at an early level.

5. yaca you

yaca you Someone past surprise Full Member

Jun 1, 2010
    being big and powerful and a aggessive puncher with wrestling backup is a very good start. obviously we dont have an idea of his submission defense.

I would say that would be a fantastic base to start from. as long as this was the beginning of his mma career and he was willing to learn submissions and submission defense- I believe that to be one of the most important skills to have really.

boxers from the early 20th(as well as late 19th) century seem to be better suited for mma anyway.

6. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010

allot of boxers in that era trained in catch as catch can wrestling..hence they knew something about submissions both defense and applying them.

Jack Dempsey for example was a black belt in Judo and also very good at catch as catch can wrestling

7. yaca you

yaca you Someone past surprise Full Member

Jun 1, 2010

well I know that about jack dempsey, but we are talking about Jim Jefferies here.

early "modern boxers" just seemed better suited for MMA than todays boxers from what I have seen.

8. boxersk

boxersk T.C.B. Full Member

Mar 16, 2011
    I think he does very good, he is in great condition in his prime, wrestling with boxing, i see that the small gloves of Jeffries era came up he would be able to absorb the punches from the MMA gloves well,

good thread

9. The Spider

The Spider Guest

A natural athlete with the speed, strength and toughness of Jim Jefferies would have acquitted himself very well in the octagon.

10. The Spider

The Spider Guest

How do you think Larry Holmes would have gone at MMA based on this display of fighting skill and improvisation >>>

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlQqSCzRrA&[/ame]

11. I still think many mma fans underestimate boxers just a bit because its mostly shot or not so grea boxers going aganist world class mma guys. Larry Holmes would actually do better at mma then someone like James Toney, who had one of the worst styles you could have as a boxer to transfer into mma (little footmobility, shoulder roll while feet are planted and wide spread, not great power). Holmes would at least have the sense to step out punch and keep moving as he punches. having said that...im not saying prime larry holmes without a good deal of cross training is going to beat any elite mma guys. just saying he would have a better shot and better style for it then James Toney did.

as for Jeffries..he was also a damn good athlete. he had a 6 foot high jump..now this was at a time when they used a older style of jumping which made it harder to get a good deal of height. he could also run 100 yards in 10 seconds, which is pretty damn good for a man who is ripped to shreads at over 220 pounds. and yes, he did wrestle with elite level wrestlers.

12. greathamza

greathamza Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Did Larry just run up on the roof of a car and then drop kick Trevor in the face? :lol:

13. yeah..and after Trevor started talking about suing in true ***** fashion. RIP Trevor...

14. The Spider

The Spider Guest

Sure did. Very WWE. Vince McMahon would have gone ape **** :good

15. Ai-edy2007

Ai-edy2007 STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER Full Member

Apr 9, 2011