Jim Watt retires from commentating

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Hayemakerr, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Hayemakerr

Hayemakerr Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2014
    News just broke on Sky Sports News. I used to really like the combination of Ian Darke and Jim Watt together but in recent years I have found him pretty repetitive and to be honest a bit boring and annoying. Wonder who they will get in as a replacement?

2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    :happy:happy

no more beautiful pun-cheese!

Sorry but this guy should have been gone a long time ago. His scoring, his commentating, his bias... it was all pretty cringeworthy.

3. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Nothing against the guy but he went on far too long. Wish him well and hope that is still used by Sky as a pundit occasionally.

As for a replacement you'd have to say that McCrory will fill in short term with Froch/Smith taking over.

Big opportunity for Sky here to try out new guys such as Blackwell on undercards etc.

I hope that Halling goes soon too.

4. 10Count_Hero

10Count_Hero Active Member Full Member

May 3, 2014
    Thank god. He has been awful, truly awful, for a long time now. He constantly contradicts himself and commentates fights in a very biased way. Glad he has gone. However, as I would say to any senior statesman, enjoy your retirement.

5. Hayemakerr

Hayemakerr Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2014
    I agree with everybody's comments in regards to him being gone a while back. I still really miss Ian Darke commentating on the big fights,
    Would love him to return

6. billo_billy

billo_billy Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2015
  7. TERRYTIBBS

TERRYTIBBS Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Ian Darke is the best commentator out there, but I actually like Watt I think he adds a bit of humour to boxing with his ridiculous comments.

8. MGGGM Grand

MGGGM Grand Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Good. An irritating jock **** who speaks *******s for 36 minutes straight. As long as Paul Smith doesn't replace him.

Bring back Darke.

9. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    He had a good innings, he was going with Reg pretty much after he retired (certainly by 83). Never my cup of tea, but after a while he became an institution and learnt to accept him.

10. gmurphy

gmurphy Land of the corrupt, home of the robbery! banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Watt us bad but he doesn't Hold a candle to the national treasure of bad commentary Ireland has in Jimmy magee. He must be pushing 90.

My favourite Jimmy magee line was from the 2008 Olympics where raushee w.arren was fighting and had bright green boots on. Magee said ' if the lights went out in the stadium the only thing you would see of raushee is he's boots'

11. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Much like everyone else I'd like to see Darke return. He won't though as Sky don't care about what the fans want. Expect Smith/Froch to be elevated.

12. thornpipe

thornpipe Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2016
    Get malignaggi in full time

13. impacted

impacted Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Ian Darke would replace Halling, not Watt. People will realise how good Jim Watt was when they have to listen to Halling along with Glenn McCrory or Matt Macklin every week.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  14. joegray

joegray Active Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I'd like to see a more ****ytic commentator alongside Halling. I love listening to Paulie Malignaggi when he's commentating. Predicts shots, non-bias, passionate, ...
    Jim Watt has been terrible! Ah good shot! fs

15. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Right decision. I don't think he was as bad as most think but his scoring of rounds could be misleading to people who don't know what they're watching.
    I think Smith or Malignaggi would both do a great job, both have really impressed me as both pundits and commentators.

If Froch gets it I won't watch Sky boxing anymore.

Bring back Darke now.