Jimmy Bivins appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Gazelle Punch, Mar 27, 2020.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You're opinion would probably be right, or as right as you can get in that scenario. However, the main things which prevented his title shots, aside from his ethnicity, is in those reports. Lesenvich didn't want anything to do with a rematch and he lost to Walcott whilst aiming for the Louis fight.

2. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Gus knew he was on his way out. He got mega money for the re-match with Freddie Mills. A fight with Bivins wouldn't have got him half what Jack Solomons paid him.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He was found by two cops investigating the home for allegations of child abuse. They found him up in a feces infested attic with a deep gash on his hand and withered away to 110 pounds or so and he appeared confused. Since he was 78 at the time, his daughter and her husband were charged with elder abuse. He died in 2012 at age 92 in a nursing home from complications from dementia.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/93082058/jimmy-bivins

4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Sad. Never heard that about the man.

5. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    First time seeing the Doc fight and wasn’t disappointed. More entertaining then Bivins other fights on film

6. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Haven't got to it yet, will hopefully get it done after the podcast later. I'm very eager to watch the Anton fight, though. Great thread, by the way. Hopefully we get some more responses.

It got me thinking. I might make a few of these over the coming weeks whilst in isolation. One for Maxim, Marshall, maybe Moore or Williams. The whole Black Murderer's Row is STILL underrated.

Clinton and Gazelle Punch like this.
  7. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Burley would also be a nice one

8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Absolutely. Bert Lytell too.

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    End of year ratings show that Bivins was top ten ranked in
    That's a nine years gap!

10. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Surprised 52. Was competitive in the 50s but wasn’t what he was from 42-46

11. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    In terms of the murderer's row, I see him as a George Foreman type figure. He certainly isn't as skilled as Burley, Charles, Marshall or Moore. But he had incredibly long arms and he would shift weight in swings similar to Foreman with heavyhanded wood chopping punches.

I wonder if he was past his best when he was losing to Charles and Moore or if they'd figured him out. It could be they grew into the LHW-Cruser bodysize a bit better.

12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    He certainly wasn't unskilled, though. His lead hand was excellent, be it with feints, be it with his jab or his left hook. His right was clubbing and looping. He did build power with his shots in Foreman-esc way, nice comparison. He stalked and jabbed using his range vs Anton (in his absolute prime) well.

It was a little bit of both, combined with the weight difference lowering, and it becoming more even. Moore and Charles proved they were better than him. But then again, they proved that with every LHW at the time. And probably ever.

13. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    His reach definitely threw a lot of people off the first time they met him. I always thought he had more power then his KO percentage entailed. Have to check boxrec because I’m wondering if he Was a lot stronger in the 40s maybe lost some power moving up.

14. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum We really outchere. Full Member

Mar 20, 2020
    I really like his jab, very stiff, looked like he rocked Ezzard's head back with it a few times.
    Looked as strong as some fighters straights.

He seemed to me to like that stiff arm defense, leaving the left hand extended, which got exploited quite well when he fought Moore I thought.
    Good fighter, definitely worth watching a few more of.

15. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Could he have beaten Joe Louis had he fought him in that 43-45 timeframe?